Board breakage. What to do :(

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The 2020 shitshow keeps on rolling down the shittery slope.

Today I got buck and broke my second most favorite board of all time, the flameboard.

I wanna glue it back together and reinforce it with plywood on both sides of the stringer. But how long must the reinforcement-stringers be? I was thinking 50 cm, with 25cm on each side of the breakage. Maybe 60cm?

fracas.JPG

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Whatever it is that you did to make your board break right in the middle like that will also break your repair. Just start over and make a new and improved version for yourself. And this time, glue your slices together vertically, not horizontally. Barry Snyder - style. That way you can cut your rocker into your slices before you glue them up. You can also go stringerless because the additional glue lines will add more structure.

Barry's website. Look for his "Dissect Series" page.

blank.jpg

shaped.png

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Whatever it is that you did to make your board break right in the middle like that will also break your repair. Just start over and make a new and improved version for yourself.
You treat your boards like they are disposable, and if they are not "good enough" they are to die? Not me!
-I will mend its wounds, and I will not do this one more time:

Last edited:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
You treat your boards like they are disposable, and if they are not "good enough" they are to die? Not me!
-I will mend its wounds, and I will not do this one more time:

The last board I broke was a long time ago, and coincidentally it was a board I had previously snapped and which broke in the same spot. Here's the problem: You are creating a stiff spot in the middle of the board with more flexible foam on either end. So that's going to divert the energy to where your reinforcement starts.

I believe in conserving boards as much as possible but i only repair boards with snaps if they're going to be used in small/soft conditions and won't be subject to big stresses. If a shortboard dies at my place its because it finally wore out, at which point I save it for uses as a donor for repair plugs and such.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
^ or learning how to duck dive
I have seen more boards break from failure to hold on than any other reason.

Northern, I don't know how hard it is for you to get materials... The break doesn't look clean, you will spend more effort fixing than making a new (and BETTER) board.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
the guy who broke his board just trying to paddle out
After several successful hellrides on his homemade implement of ocean voyage and only fitted with a singular FCS G5 rudder.

But ok, we all agree the board is great and there will be no more quarrels. Tomorrow I will glue it together and then reinforce it with plywood to continue my search for the Cape St. Francis of the Northern Oceans.