Board Bags?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I don't think I've ever owned a boardbag where both zippers work at the same time. Maybe when brand new but eventually one of them becomes stuck and I keep using it till the second one sticks.

Bought some zipper wax and zipper lube and can usually free one zip up with judicious use and some pliers but whenever I pull a bag out the night before a trip, it's always touch and go.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
aren’t all bag zippers marine-grade plastic nowadays?

From the responses, it sounds like the Creatures fancy diamond fabric is nice if you can handle the price and don’t mind a black bag.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I like the pro-lite stuff, and have a rhino travel bag, and a smuggler, both work as travel or day bags really well. My boards are on the chunkier side, but there is no way in hell I'm getting 3 boards in that smuggler.
Hybrib/fish gives you a liitle more space I own 2 board rhino and was thinking next buy smuggler or just go 3 board sb. True the bottom board is longest and you place tail first?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I didn't realize Pro-Lite was a CA business, that's definitely more motivation to keep buying from them. I've got two session premium bags that I love.

My buddy got COL x Rorak bag recently, it looks and feels really nice/premium but he never leaves his board in the car so I don't think the black bag thing is an issue for him. I can't get my head around black board bags.

I was chatting with the owner of Happy Battle after they put out their new board bags about the black bag thing. He tried to convince me it would be fine.... but I dunno man. I'd rather just have a light colored board bag, why do anything that will heat your board up that's just for aesthetics? Anyways, his bags are nice in person.

Their map projection design reminds me of the old Destination Surf Logo.
Or maybe it was the old school ProLite. IDK

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Hybrib/fish gives you a liitle more space I own 2 board rhino and was thinking next buy smuggler or just go 3 board sb. True the bottom board is longest and you place tail first?
That's what I have too, the Hybrid/fish, and the Smuggler is the Hybrid/fish as well. I'd say the Rhyno travel bag is easier to use, and has more space, I only brought one board on my last trip, and so I used the Smuggler. It worked great, but after travel proofing the rails, and a little bubble wrap, there was no way I could've gotten a second board in there? If I were traveling more than once a year, and bringing multiple boards, I'd definitely get a "Coffinn." It just seems easier, and more efficient to pack the boards safely?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I'd say most bags come with a regular zipper......or at least a metal zipper that has some thin bullshit coating on it that inevitably chips off and rusts with saltwater.
All my recent non-pro lite bags have that kind of zipper (Dakine and FCS)

• Sad
Reactions: jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have an earlier version of that cheap CI bag and it's fine. Zippers still work after like 7 years. It's got a duct tape patch from driving under a low hanging ocotillo branch but that was my fault. It's not as padded as some of the more heavy duty ones which I kind of like just for the weight factor. My bags spend a fair amount of time in the back of my truck or strapped to the top of my camper so the sun eventually starts to ruin them. Some fare worse than others. The dakine tarp material goes to crap and starts flaking quicker than I would like. That said the zips are usually beefy plastic and otherwise they have been good to me. They are one of the few brands that go on sale consistently so I've had a bunch over the years. Pro-lite and Creatures are my favorite, just a little spendy usually. O&E had metal zips so, never again.

Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
depends on who's asking
Well, this is well timed:

• Haha
Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Ocean Earth all day. I have a coffin from 2007 that still going strong, all zippers glide fine, the only thing that has gone bad are the exterior straps that squeeze the bag tighter--- they dry rotted and have ripped off along with the handle /strap but getting new ones sewn on as the actual bag is still good and not ripping/dry rotting. 10+ far away international surf trips + countless road trips + improper storage and abuse in a shed and its still going.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
All but couple custom boards prolite premium sessions bags rest cheaper session and one used in quiver with creature bag. Only issue mini log bag has crease reflective side but is holding up fine. I baby my boards from sun since 9 out of 11 eps/epoxy and other 2 pu/epoxy and go on roof rack of car. Once year a least lube all zippers with wd40 lithium and only time had zipper issue was with rhino 2 bag travel coffin. The TSA guy "muscles" must've forced zipper and broke the lever but always carry zip ties for this reason and fixed it:shaka: