Board Bags?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
What do you use for day bags/storage? When I was a younger man, I never used them. Lessons learned the hard way.

I have a newborn, so it's not like I'll be needing a travel bag anytime soon, but what are you rocking for your everyday throw-in-the-car, toss-on-the-rack, or don't-ding-me-at-home bags? I need to pick one up for a 6'10".

The last one I picked up was a Pro Lite Session Premium for a 7'10" Mini Glider. It's $150 with free shipping.

Other than that I've been milking a random Volcom bag that I was given as my everyday hauler/storage (I can squeeze to shortboards, but it's tight) and an FCS All Purpose Bag that somebody left here that can squeeze 2 boards in if I have to.

Has anyone used the CI Featherlight Bags? They're pretty cheap.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
day bags for travel to and from the beach

socks sometimes inside

don't really matter the brand, whatever is cheapest usually works well enough

they don't need to be replaced that often either

google shopping has alway done me well looking for deals

I have an allergy to paying MSRP for anything YMMV

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Prolite's do seem nice.

If you want super budget bags try these:

It was recommended here and now I have two. Haven't had them long enough to comment on longevity but they seem pretty darn good for the price so far.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Surfboard rack (vertical) in the garage for safe storage at home.

1 day bag for 5’8 and under fish
1 day bag for 6’3 and pointy noses
1 day bag for 7’6” and under eggs

do you need more than this? I haven’t figured out an excuse to buy more.

i found storing boards at home in bags leads to weird stacking and eventual tipping over due to baggy fit. bare boards stack in the corner fine.

Reactions: SD_Dan

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
My storage situation is not ideal and all my boards live in board bags. I've had a bunch of dakine and prolite bags for years. I think one of the dakine bags must be close to 15 years old and is still going strong. That said I prefer the prolite bags, zippers are a bit nicer, I like the stash away shoulder strap, and the material seems to hold up even better.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Love the Dakine day bags. Less than $100, not too bulky and they are white so don't get super hot.

They also fit well inside a travel bag for trips. Nice to have a day bag once you get somewhere and are throwing it in the back of the car or on a boat.

Reactions: jkb

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Love the prolite kerr double day bag I think it was @oeste858 who I saw rec it on here before I bought it. I can actually get 3 boards in it (one with fins) if I want to. I've double bagged on air trips with boards inside the prolite which then goes in the creatures travel bag. Extra protection without rigging up towels or whatever and then you can stash the big ass flight bag when you get there and use the day bag at the beach.

Edit: downside is it's a bit pricey

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
one bag and one leash for each board. people think I'm psycho but they're just mad cause they're jealous of my dialed in YOLO
I have a bag or sock for each board, also purchase a new leash for each. Learnt my lesson by using old leashes on new boards and them snapping or the velcro coming unstuck and boards washing into rocks etc. A leash is cheaper than ding repair, you can scoop them up cheap by knowing where to look at certain times of the year.

Reactions: SD_Dan

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
+2 pro-lite. Like the idea of supporting a core CA small business- not owned by a private equity firm (like DK I believe). Just got another 5’10 recession fish bag this week: does the job for storage but I wish it had air vents and I think it’s only 3mm. So, i prefer their regular session bag or maybe it’s premium that has vents and 5mm… the formerly Wilko pro model.

I’m tempted to try one of the fancy-looking Creatures bags I saw but can’t do a black bag for hauling around in the car all day. Seems like a lot of bells n whistles. Anyone have any experience with these?

Reactions: SixtyGrit

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
+2 pro-lite. Like the idea of supporting a core CA small business- not owned by a private equity firm (like DK I believe). Just got another 5’10 recession fish bag this week: does the job for storage but I wish it had air vents and I think it’s only 3mm. So, i prefer their regular session bag or maybe it’s premium that has vents and 5mm… the formerly Wilko pro model.

I’m tempted to try one of the fancy-looking Creatures bags I saw but can’t do a black bag for hauling around in the car all day. Seems like a lot of bells n whistles. Anyone have any experience with these?
No experience with that one in particular but I use the shortboard triple flight bag as my travel bag and it's great, the damontek is legit. Probably had it for 5 years now? It's relatively light and the fabric is really, really strong.

Reactions: oeste858

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD

I didn't realize Pro-Lite was a CA business, that's definitely more motivation to keep buying from them. I've got two session premium bags that I love.

My buddy got COL x Rorak bag recently, it looks and feels really nice/premium but he never leaves his board in the car so I don't think the black bag thing is an issue for him. I can't get my head around black board bags.

I was chatting with the owner of Happy Battle after they put out their new board bags about the black bag thing. He tried to convince me it would be fine.... but I dunno man. I'd rather just have a light colored board bag, why do anything that will heat your board up that's just for aesthetics? Anyways, his bags are nice in person.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I like the pro-lite stuff, and have a rhino travel bag, and a smuggler, both work as travel or day bags really well. My boards are on the chunkier side, but there is no way in hell I'm getting 3 boards in that smuggler.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Those old school white DaKine bags were the BEST....until they got to the point - and this is YEars down the road mind you- where they would begin to flake?
Once the dandruff starts it's over for that bag.

Curve for day bag bargain
Pro-Lite for legit travel

I did have an Ocean and Earth coffin that made a New Zealand/Nicaragua/Nova Scotia trifecta with bonzer 5's and came out Clean.
Even after a TSA shite show...

Reactions: jkb