Boar for big mushy waves

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
In the mush I usually use my 5'4" Lost Bean Bag, but it starts to get a little squirrelly in shoulder to head high mush.
Dang surf has been funky; i really don't want to build a quiver of grovelers, but...

Reactions: MathDebater
Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
Yeah, for me, this is the place where mid-lengths are a ton of fun. A good mid-length is way better than my little groveler in HH or OH mush. And better for getting around the lineup. I have one that is duck-diveable for me so I can manage it in the line up. So mid-size not a small longboard. The feeling of carving around on a mid-length on a solid wave is so fun. Reminds me of snowboarding, only better. Northern Shores is spot on, there's a plenty to learn in the mid-length thread that doesn't need to be rehashed.

For me it's...
5' 9" Lost Bottom Feeder in shoulder or less.
7' 2" CI Waterhog in head high+ mush
6' 2" Lost Quiver Killer in decent or better head high surf

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
speed dialer is a good call. i would also add pyzel phantom to that if we're talking head high + mush

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
speed dialer would be great. Bonzer pod good option. Mide length 2 plus juan.

I plan on getting a roundail twin for these conditions at some point.

Could always go with the tried and true

boar.PNG

Last edited:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
album moonstone
That^. If the wave is more lined up that board is a lot of fun carving around on fatter faces and has a solid range. Can be sized a lot of different ways. Townsend is better managing speed in bigger conditions, but like how the moonstone carries speed when softer with the lower rocker and drive it gets out of turns.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
In the mush I usually use my 5'4" Lost Bean Bag, but it starts to get a little squirrelly in shoulder to head high mush.
Dang surf has been funky; i really don't want to build a quiver of grovelers, but...
Nubster to settle 'er down? I use the bean bag in flat-faced surf that has some "size" to it as well. Maybe one of the other options from the non-concave bottom mayhem range would do. EZ Couch Feeder or some such.

What fins are you using in the bad beast?