BLM Paddle Out, Moonlight Beach

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Who the f*ck are these people anyways? And why does every protester's job seem to be some kind of social media influencer?
Because it is

Last week when I watching Unicorn Riot document the actual rioting and looting in Minneapolis everyone he spoke to was pimping their Instagram page

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Did anyone else here have "cracker day" at their high/middle school?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Paddleout was covered on local SD news with a following segment on how recently re-opened local ethnic African-American restaurants are seeing 3x-4x business in the last few days due to all this new awokening. Most with take-out only, but a couple with limited inside dining.

SD so white they can't help it.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Sorry for the misinterpretation, but you know what message you send when you mock a protest against racism, right?

I get it. You're making fun of the virtue signaling, self-promotion, self-flagellation, white fragility, etc. But protesting cops killing black people is necessary action. Let's leave it at that. You are either in solidarity or not.

And if you don't believe in racism or are racist, just come out already.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Paddleout was covered on local SD news with a following segment on how recently re-opened local ethnic African-American restaurants are seeing 3x-4x business in the last few days due to all this new awokening. Most with take-out only, but a couple with limited inside dining.

North County SD so white they can't help it.
Fixed

I went to grade school in SE San Diego and I was a minority.

Reactions: Ifallalot

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
To be fair, they have probably interacted with one or two black people.

It's places like Oregon and Maine where a black person is something you've only seen on TV.
Breckenridge, CO had a protest. The ski resort/mountain bike town. Not only are there only a few black people in town, of the full time residents and 10 police I bet almost none harbor any racism. Without any news coverage outside the county I was like, who are you protesting to?

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Breckenridge, CO had a protest. The ski resort/mountain bike town. Not only are there only a few black people in town, of the full time residents and 10 police I bet almost none harbor any racism. Without any news coverage outside the county I was like, who are you protesting to?
Maybe, just maybe it's a show of support. But nah, let's be cynical assholes about it.

We should call this the lonely, cynical boomer forum.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Maybe, just maybe it's a show of support. But nah, let's be cynical assholes about it.

We should call this the lonely, cynical boomer forum.
Yeah, I get that it was a show of support, but did they expect to get national news coverage? I doubt anyone who lives in a community with racist policing heard that Breck had a protest. I guess it just felt like pointless back patting and "joining in".

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah, I get that it was a show of support, but did they expect to get national news coverage? I doubt anyone who lives in a community with racist policing heard that Breck had a protest. I guess it just felt like pointless back patting and "joining in".
It's back patting.

Feels good.

Lots of bored unemployed people out there swiping through instagram all day. They need to show they're virtuous.

A week ago these same people were all worried about COVID-19 and terrified of opening up.

Now the visual I'm getting is we should be opening up schools, events and basically everything.

If a bunch of people get sick and die because of them and we don't have enough PPE etc fvck it. Just point the finger at the Cheetoh.

• Love
Reactions: tsenn and Ifallalot

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Did anyone there say they thought they were going to get national news coverage? I must have missed that. At least the thought never crossed my mind.

I also wouldn't conflate what happened in Breckenridge with the show of support in Encinitas. In Encinitas, a black man asked the community to show support. If we didn't show up, what message would that send?

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
It's back patting.

Feels good.

Lots of bored unemployed people out there swiping through instagram all day. They need to show they're virtuous.

A week ago these same people were all worried about COVID-19 and terrified of opening up.

Now the visual I'm getting is we should be opening up schools, events and basically everything.

If a bunch of people get sick and die because of them and we don't have enough PPE etc fvck it. Just point the finger at the Cheetoh.
These were DEFINITELY not the same Karens protesting the lockdown. Different crowd entirely. Bad take dude.

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
It's back patting.

Feels good.

A black person organized this.

I was skeptical that it would be typical liberal performative bullshit but then i realized that surfing is a small sub culture that is VERY white insulated, and showing the few black surfers that we DO have that we care makes a very powerful statement.

Look at it like this: we were challenged by a black man to do bare minimum to say "hey we agree with you". And we responded. Anyone patting themselves on the back is a fucking idiot and missing the point, and anyone saying that people are patting themselves on the back for doing so without actually being there are even more of a problem and quite honestly won't be needed in the struggle for equality.

It was good that it happened, and anyone that is talking sh!t is either a) a pretty angry person in general (b) thinking about racism WAYY to hard (c) just doesn't like black people by
default.

Reactions: Q_Surf and Aruka