Blacks DONE. pay2surf.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
One of the security guards is super cool and has been there a long time. She used to wash the chalk off for us but the new blue chalk is not as easy to remove and she may have been asked to stop as well.
The skinny black woman? Never got her name but she was always super chill.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I used to park here in front of the golf course and ride my surf-rack-equiped bike up to Reef Road when I lived in WPB in 99/2000. Not sure if you're still allowed to park there for free, but it was a pretty easy deal back then. Sometimes if the swell angle was right, you could get some pretty good waves on the reef right in front of that parking area too. I hate Palm Beach, but the water sure was nice.
View attachment 122678
It's got some kind of no public parking signage now if memory serves. I'm terrified those people will have my car towed. IMHO half the time that place is better than RR. I used to park in front of a neglected-looking house on Esplanade and was always sir/ma'am with the neighborhood residents.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
The contest of all contests were the Lowenbrau contests in the late 70's to early 80's. Those were epic events for a young teenager :beer:. The Stubbies that Kenvin won was pretty awesome but the Lowenbrau events were all time.
I missed the Lowenbrau, free beer for all... All the older guys talked constantly bout that event.

However, I did host a thing called "Black's Spring Classic" that featured 120 surfers, 15 minute 6 man heats. Can't remember if we had bands and kegs for that. Plenty of others we did.

NPSP: How bout the Beer Open's?

UCSD used to give us a giant suburban, gas card, and stipends to go surf against other schools. We also got 0.5 credtis for Inter Collegiate Athletics, surfing.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I missed the Lowenbrau, free beer for all... All the older guys talked constantly bout that event.

However, I did host a thing called "Black's Spring Classic" that featured 120 surfers, 15 minute 6 man heats. Can't remember if we had bands and kegs for that. Plenty of others we did.

UCSD used to give us a giant suburban, gas card, and stipends to go surf against other schools. We also got 0.5 credtis for Inter Collegiate Athletics, surfing.
I can’t remember if I surfed in this one or judged it. 903DC27B-F409-432D-8CAF-521DACB3784B.jpeg

Reactions: kelpcutter

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I can’t remember if I surfed in this one or judged it. View attachment 122735
That shirt is gold!! That may have been the last year it was held. Our crew of miscreants were 14-16 yo at the time and from 80-82 that contest was the party of the year for us.
It was epic. Lowenbrau would drive a flatbed truck loaded with a couple dozen kegs down to where the lifeguards now hang and would pour beer all day long. We had to call my neighbor from the pay phone at the top of the hill to come and pick us up because we were way too hammered to drive home.
I believe they canceled it after the 1982 contest because of the rampant underage drinking that occurred.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

Beer Opens were such fun times. Heck any reason to bury a keg in the sand was a good time.
I think I still have a trophy from the kneeboard division from one of the Classics (only time I ever beat Jack B in a contest). I think you guys even managed to get the University pay us for judging some of those contests.
What an awesome era we got to experience down there. The cast of characters was vast.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
It's sad looking back that my stint there was the end of the era. I guess it's true that you don't realize the halcyon days until they're over.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Is that awesome Dr. Suess house still there? That thing so cool looking. Got to be one of the best views in all of socal for a house. Always amazed how much money rolling around that area.
Their one of my notary clients. The first thing you notice when you walk in the front door is the Picassos on the walls.

• Wow
Reactions: r32