Black surfboards / sunburst finish

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So sanded.com.au said they will ship any of thier products, even small amounts to CA. But I'm just hoping there is a CA supplier...

Anyone? :shrug:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
not that I was able to find. I think Mike would get local if possible. DM me if you order, we could split shipping

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No EPS to be found anywhere. :(

Anybody know what a US Blanks "red" polyurethane would compare to EPS weight wise? 2.5 lb., maybe 3.0 lb?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
sanded.com.au over here does all sorts of basalt. the 4oz is basically a replacement for 4oz regular glass but much stronger and more importantly helps to dampen eps vibrations. I have tried most of the variations they stock - the heavy hex weave stuff sucks up a lot of resin and is probably best bagged. My favourite is the straight plain weave 4oz. 2x that topped with 2oz e-glass over a 2lb eps blank is pretty damn tough.

he might be able to send you some directly.
The basalt almost certainly comes from manufacturer Colan Australia, what do you think? Sanded has more than one source for cloths, but Colan is one of them. Colan seems to interested in surfboards and developed various cloths for names such as HaydenShapes, Chilli, Lost.

Sanded's "direct size" fibreglass, must come from Colan. I have been unable to find the use of this term anywhere except on Sanded or Colan's instagram. Despite what I initially thought "sizing" has nothing to do with dimensions and refers to the procedure of putting a chemical with the general term "size/sizing" onto the fibres to make the resin adhere to it better. It seems that the standard process is to put sizing on straight out of being extruded and cooled, so I wonder if "direct size" is more of a marketing term. it seems the temperature of cooling and sizing formula are closely manufacturer trade secrets though. Colan seem to be saying that they avoid post weave heat treatment, but that appears to be only used for flammable applications to reduce smoke when it is burned (if I understand correctly).

Regardless Colan are doing impressive things.

they comment on some bad cloth (not from them) that Kazuma rejected.

http://instagr.am/p/CZrR2sOFikY/
SizingDiagram.jpg

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
They have 2oz S glass too :cool:
My 2022 build used 4oz "direct size" Australian made cloth from Sanded. Mailed to me rolled on a cardboard tube inside a cardboard box. It would make the journey intact. Boar came out a fraction over 5lb. Definitely stronger than e-glass when tested with thumb pressure. Stiffer, but not too stiff, due to one layer only each side. I did extra wide laps though (thanks Teeroi for the info on how you got your s-glass boars built). Wrapped easily. You already got a good testimony from @toddo on their basalt, so maybe a reasonable choice getting it shipped if you can't find a local supplier of cloth you know works well on surfboars.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@Mr J I was looking at the 2 oz S to go with th 3oz Basalt /flax. But maybe less drama to do the 4oz Basalt w/4oz S patch on the deck

Reactions: Mr J

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My 2022 build used 4oz "direct size" Australian made cloth from Sanded. Mailed to me rolled on a cardboard tube inside a cardboard box. It would make the journey intact. Boar came out a fraction over 5lb. Definitely stronger than e-glass when tested with thumb pressure. Stiffer, but not too stiff, due to one layer only each side. I did extra wide laps though (thanks Teeroi for the info on how you got your s-glass boars built). Wrapped easily. You already got a good testimony from @toddo on their basalt, so maybe a reasonable choice getting it shipped if you can't find a local supplier of cloth you know works well on surfboars.
Mr. J have you used the 4oz basalt? Or any basalt products?

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
yes - the direct size cloth does seem to dent less than regular e-glass.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
The basalt almost certainly comes from manufacturer Colan Australia, what do you think? Sanded has more than one source for cloths, but Colan is one of them. Colan seems to interested in surfboards and developed various cloths for names such as HaydenShapes, Chilli, Lost.

Sanded's "direct size" fibreglass, must come from Colan. I have been unable to find the use of this term anywhere except on Sanded or Colan's instagram. Despite what I initially thought "sizing" has nothing to do with dimensions and refers to the procedure of putting a chemical with the general term "size/sizing" onto the fibres to make the resin adhere to it better. It seems that the standard process is to put sizing on straight out of being extruded and cooled, so I wonder if "direct size" is more of a marketing term. it seems the temperature of cooling and sizing formula are closely manufacturer trade secrets though. Colan seem to be saying that they avoid post weave heat treatment, but that appears to be only used for flammable applications to reduce smoke when it is burned (if I understand correctly).

Regardless Colan are doing impressive things.
yep most of sanded's stuff comes from colan - as far as i know colan doesn't sell by the metre and sanded is their main distributor for that.