Black surfboards / sunburst finish

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So summer's here and I've noticed when I try to wax my boards, I'm just scraping the old wax off and no new wax sticks. I tried paddling out and waxing in the water but same thing. I always put down base coat, but maybe you just have to change it every now and then...

But that's not the point of my thread. How about those black carbon fiber boards? Do they get really hot? Does even base coat stick on a hot summer day?

I'm about to start a new board and am searching for wood and found a deal on some figured ash. Ash is not my first choice of wood species (although ash is wha baseball bats are made of, which tells me something about its strength). It's too light for my taste.. But stained? I was thinking of trying a sunburst finish. I've done one before. It is not easy. There's good chance of fukkin up at some point. But I've been wanting a gun metal blue board for a while. Or a kind of carbon grey/black look (like yakisugi in architecture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakisugi) I'm thinking of something like this-

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 5.02.08 PM.png

Or this-
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 5.00.16 PM.png

27_303109.jpg

What does the almighty erBB say?

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
So summer's here and I've noticed when I try to wax my boards, I'm just scraping the old wax off and no new wax sticks. I tried paddling out and waxing in the water but same thing. I always put down base coat, but maybe you just have to change it every now and then...
just scrape the board clean and the re apply base and top coats. Old base coat eventually just doesn’t stick anymore.

i didn’t read the rest of your question.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've shied away from anything that requires bagging the laminate. I find it becomes a two man job and requires a lot of extra "consumables" (peel plies and breather cloth). I've done one board with a bagged lam using innegra cloth, and, I have to admit it came out great and has held up.

I don't know if the basalt cloth requires bagging but I imagine it does. It looks nice. A quick google and I didn't find a supplier with a price list...

I called for my blank and was told "EPS is really hard to get right now."

I was looking at the sunburst finish because of the deal on the figured ash. But then I was thinking that "curly" grain is ...well curly. It doesn't lay flat as easily, which could lead to other problems when bagging....ah, the trials and tribulations of an amatuer experimentalist...

I'm going surfing...

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
But that's not the point of my thread. How about those black carbon fiber boards? Do they get really hot? Does even base coat stick on a hot summer day?

What does the almighty erBB say?
I've had an Aviso and a very dark deck Black Dart.

If I want to freshen up some wax I'll go down to the baking car, grab the soft wax, take it into the air-con crib, wax 'er, and proceed.

If your board is in the car, and you're not surfing **** warm 80+ water, hit it with a wax comb then dunk it. The car-softened wax will get deep grooves; the cooler water will then set them.

I carry these boards wax side down.

Once the water's in the upper 80s basecoat feels like putty and that's why Waco people use front traction in the warmer time of the year.

Reactions: MathDebater

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I called for my blank and was told "EPS is really hard to get right now."
My cutter told me it's going to get weird (regarding EPS)
I reached out to Mike and he gave me his supplier for the flax/basalt.
I wasn't aware that it required bagging

• Sad
Reactions: One-Off

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Marko could be the best option, but they're going to get buried in orders. A garage hack probably isn't going to be able to get in line

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Both,but really it's the foam. There are other cutters(in Southern California) Time will tell if some/all/any of the things he was concerned about happen. I think appetite for surfboards is waning and the used market is saturated
Years ago I was going to go xps/epoxy foam and glass from patagucci with my MC alpha omega but the press was down and huge back up with marko so ended up going pu/epoxy:shaka:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My cutter told me it's going to get weird (regarding EPS)
I reached out to Mike and he gave me his supplier for the flax/basalt.
I wasn't aware that it required bagging
I don’t know if it needs bagging. Online I saw 9 oz cloth. What’s the suppliers name?

I can’t stand most of the Marko rockers. The short board blanks have a weird crook in the nose. The 6-8 Johnston blanks are OK but it means cutting down a lot to get a 6-3 and then I have to mow a lot of foam to get the foil right. I might have no other options. The 6-6 Halibut blank has almost 3” of tail rocker which is too much for So Cal imho. I’ve found it easy to add rocker but very difficult to get it out of a blank.

First world problems…

Reactions: need 4 speed

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
my new board is marko cause that's cause it was all Tim could get. So far so good though.
The foam is fine and since he's machine cutting it, it's not a problem. It's just a problem for me hand shaping. US Blanks are much more close tolerance with a greater variety to get you close to your desired finished shape.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
I don’t know if it needs bagging. Online I saw 9 oz cloth. What’s the suppliers name?

I can’t stand most of the Marko rockers. The short board blanks have a weird crook in the nose. The 6-8 Johnston blanks are OK but it means cutting down a lot to get a 6-3 and then I have to mow a lot of foam to get the foil right. I might have no other options. The 6-6 Halibut blank has almost 3” of tail rocker which is too much for So Cal imho. I’ve found it easy to add rocker but very difficult to get it out of a blank.

First world problems…
sanded.com.au over here does all sorts of basalt. the 4oz is basically a replacement for 4oz regular glass but much stronger and more importantly helps to dampen eps vibrations. I have tried most of the variations they stock - the heavy hex weave stuff sucks up a lot of resin and is probably best bagged. My favourite is the straight plain weave 4oz. 2x that topped with 2oz e-glass over a 2lb eps blank is pretty damn tough.

he might be able to send you some directly.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
sanded.com.au over here does all sorts of basalt. the 4oz is basically a replacement for 4oz regular glass but much stronger and more importantly helps to dampen eps vibrations. I have tried most of the variations they stock - the heavy hex weave stuff sucks up a lot of resin and is probably best bagged. My favourite is the straight plain weave 4oz. 2x that topped with 2oz e-glass over a 2lb eps blank is pretty damn tough.

he might be able to send you some directly.
Thanks. I sent them a query.