BJJ vs Wrestling

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
After all the OG fighters started fading out I started losing interest with some exceptions.
Adlan Amagov. Ben Saunders. And for a while now, the Best Fisherman in MMA, Gregor Gillespie.
I was stoked to watch him get this win for a bunch of reasons.
Gregor is a rad normal guy and he waited a long time for this fight and totally deserved the win.
But mostly I love watching a high level BJJ guy get broken by wrestling, gnp and better conditioning. I’ve never seen someone so tired they looked like they were going to pass out at the end of a round then come back to make his opponent his bitch the next.

Last edited:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Looks like CDF suffered from typical bjj syndrome when you get so good at fighting from the bottom it becomes your comfortable rest space. Wrestlers have that natural panic attack to not get pinned and do whatever it takes to get up. They dont waste time with setting up fancy sweeps to kimuras or omoplatas or whatever, just shrimp and spaz until you escape. UFC has the rule no kicks or knees to the head of a grounded opponent, but I think it also applies to up kicks from ground if you have them in closed guard. Not totally sure about that. I did see some training material from Rickson that showed some cool ideas for getting closed guard on your opponent, then over hooking an arm and up-kick or knee them in the ribs or head if there is room.

Reactions: tacos

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I love the story of gay GOP congressman who liked to wrestle the young male interns.

"What?" he would say. "It's just good fun!"

Sure.

Reactions: JDJ

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Wrestling and GNP is superior. Once a top wrestler has basic submission defense and know how to apply top pressure it becomes a dominating force.

Look how good Tito was

Look at Ben Askren. From a few years ago before he was injured and needed a new hip. He completely dominated. He was an olympic level wrestler.

Daniel Cormier the same.

The problem with BJJ is being a black belt in BJJ is in a Gi which doesn't translate well.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Looks like CDF suffered from typical bjj syndrome when you get so good at fighting from the bottom it becomes your comfortable rest space. Wrestlers have that natural panic attack to not get pinned and do whatever it takes to get up. They dont waste time with setting up fancy sweeps to kimuras or omoplatas or whatever, just shrimp and spaz until you escape. UFC has the rule no kicks or knees to the head of a grounded opponent, but I think it also applies to up kicks from ground if you have them in closed guard. Not totally sure about that. I did see some training material from Rickson that showed some cool ideas for getting closed guard on your opponent, then over hooking an arm and up-kick or knee them in the ribs or head if there is room.
I don’t watch enough Japanese MMA to know… but does allowing up kicks from bottom change the dynamic in fights?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I don’t watch enough Japanese MMA to know… but does allowing up kicks from bottom change the dynamic in fights?
Somewhat.

But fighters would be alot less inclined to lay down if they could get soccer stomped like in Pride.

Reactions: tacos

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
No disrespect to the bjj guys, as there are some means ones out there that I would not want to tangle with , but the styles that teach you to start on the ground are just asking for trouble.

take downs while maintaining your feet - ie superior position - could do better against a wrestler. But in general I find bjj lacks this skill.

from what I remember from high school wrestling is avoid getting pinned at all costs (someone else said this above) which naturally leads to escaping.

I learned a little bjj from my Krav instructor who trained under Cyborg and it was good. So, I respect that.

Catch wrestling seems pretty gnarly