Bill and Melinda Gates Done

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Thanks!

Well that's the rub eh? Don't be part of the general public. The shepard not the sheep.
Don't plan to be. Doesn't change the reality though for the hordes that grow up glued to screens. You can set an example, but can't help all of them :drowning:

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
She probably caught him eating the babies
I'm sure adrenochrome is a hell of a drug, this can't be the first happy marriage its ruined. Prayers for the happy couple
no, that's not it. think about it: the Queen of England becomes a widow a few weeks ago and now she's back on the market. Gates then dumps his wife. Coincidence? I think not.
The queen would never go for a new money peasant like ole Billy.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
i have read that neither were allowed social media in high school and had limited access to devices in general.

The Gates bought Jenny Craigs' estate and stables in Rancho Santa Fe to support their daughter's equestrian pursuits. They also just bought a big pad on the beach in Del Mar off T-Boone for $48 mil. That's some nice digs to have to split up.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Gates' house in Del Mar looks pretty nice for a big house. Usually McMansions look like sh!t. Would be a chill pad to own.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There is so much money in Del Mar.

Up in the hills behind the race track in Rancho Santa Fe.

In my teens I gave a friend of a friend a ride home from the Del Mar skate park and we drive up the long drive way with fenced off land on either side of the for the horses to run.

The rich mom at the mansion was so nice to me, a young beast.

She fed us lunch in appreciation for giving her son a ride home.

I was like, an adult is being nice to me.

I was stunned and cunfused.

Parents from Liverpool are worried their kids will go soft or get to confident if they are nice to them.

Last edited:

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Usually the lawyers get a third, right? Billionaires tend to squirrel-away most of their wealth in nonprofits so that on paper they're worth much less.
Divorce cases are almost never handled on a contingent fee basis, but I guess there could be an exception. The Gates would be complete idiots to enter into such an agreement, when there are plenty of lawyers out there who would gladly take it on an hourly basis.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Gates' house in Del Mar looks pretty nice for a big house. Usually McMansions look like sh!t. Would be a chill pad to own.

I wonder what Bill would do for security there.

Guards and electronic servallance?

So close to the hoi polloi

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Divorce cases are almost never handled on a contingent fee basis, but I guess there could be an exception. The Gates would be complete idiots to enter into such an agreement, when there are plenty of lawyers out there who would gladly take it on an hourly basis.
Dr. Drew's documentary on the divorce industry said that the hourly lawyers simply drag things out ad infinitum until they've siphoned off about that much. I've heard this from every guy who got divorced.

That said, no one is happier than me about the (anal) fissures in the House of Gates.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Dr. Drew's documentary on the divorce industry said that the hourly lawyers simply drag things out ad infinitum until they've siphoned off about that much. I've heard this from every guy who got divorced.
I've heard the same thing, and seen it first hand with friends. Divorces that drag out for years and lawyers milking both parties for tons of money. It's a broken divorce system for sure.

Friend of mine inherited about $150k when his dad passed away. Then his wife left him a few years later. She didn't want the money though, but she wanted custody of their daughter, which was a good thing as he was in no shape to be a responsible parent. She also wanted to avoid lawyers if possible but he was stubborn and wanted to stick it to her. Despite his own brother and myself telling him not to fight for custody on this, he decided to anyway. It dragged out over a year, cost him nearly $50k in lawyer fees, and he lost.

He showed me the lawyer invoices and it was staggering the amount of money they bill for paper work. He ended up blowing through the $150k within a couple years through some really bad life decisions.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Even if their split is amicable and they mutually agree on 50/50 split of assets it’s gonna take a small army of accountants to divvy up everything they own. I have a friend who’s a forensic accountant who specializes in the divorces of wealthy individuals and it’s pretty crazy some of the things he tells us. When they get nasty especially. Dealing with off-shore accounts and investments and the sale of high priced items like real estate, private jets, yachts, jewelry, exotic animals, artwork, etc.

A lot of times things like art end up in endowments to museums and they take the tax write offs just because it’s easier.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Fun fact

Bill Gates owns the most farmland in America. Here are his farmland holdings.

He also owns a bunch of homes, horse ranches, and other real estate.

Gates owns nearly half of the Four Seasons hotel chain through Cascade, including hotels in Atlanta and Houston. Gates shares 95% ownership with Prince al-Waleed bin Talal of Saudi Arabia, according to a Wall Street Journal report from 2017.

In 2013, Gates and several unnamed buyers paid $161 million for the Ritz-Carlton in San Francisco, according to The Journal.

Gates has made a number of real estate investments through his personal investment firm, Cascade. That includes a partial ownership of the posh Charles Hotel in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I've heard horror stories about divorce lawyers milking people too, but it seems like the thing that drives that is mutual spite from the parties to fight for every little thing -- the raw emotion you'd get from an actual relationship breaking up. I'd be willing to bet that the gates have been basically just a corporate partnership for a while.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I've heard horror stories about divorce lawyers milking people too, but it seems like the thing that drives that is mutual spite from the parties to fight for every little thing -- the raw emotion you'd get from an actual relationship breaking up. I'd be willing to bet that the gates have been basically just a corporate partnership for a while.
I also think divorce attorneys turn their clients against eachother for personal gain.

“If you don’t do __________, they‘re going to come at you for _______” and both sides are hearing the same sh!t and compelled to respond. Next thing you know an amicable split is a bitter one and lawyers on both sides are cashing in/

• Sad
Reactions: Tarab_ish and r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Bill's investment firm, Cascade Investment LLC, sent Melinda more than 14 million shares of Canadian National Railway Co. and more than 2.9 million shares of AutoNation Inc.

Worth about $2b, sent on the day they announced their divorce.

List of known holdings by Bill's Private Investment Company "Cascade Investements, LLC"

CompanyTickerSectorOwnership %
Four Seasons Hotels and ResortsPrivateHospitality47%[5][6]
EcolabNYSE: ECLConglomerate25%[7]
Canadian National RailwayRail transport14.2%[8]
FEMSABeverage and Retail[5]
Berkshire HathawayConglomerate4%[5]
Strategic Hotels & ResortsPrivateHospitality9.8%[5][9]
Republic ServicesNYSE: RSGWaste management34.1%[10]
Deere & CompanyNYSE: DEAgricultural, construction, forestry, outdoor power and turf maintenance equipment. OEM diesel and natural gas engine manufacturer.10.06%[11]
BunzlLSE: BNZLDistribution and Outsourcing6%[5]
CarpetrightLSE: CPRRetail3%[5]
DiageoBeverages1.56%[12]
AutoNationNYSE: ANCar dealership14%[2][13][14]
MicrosoftNasdaq: MSFTSoftware and Hardware conglomerate3.6%[2]
Beyond MeatNasdaq: BYNDFood[2][15]
Ritz-Carlton in San FranciscoPrivateHospitality[1]
TerraPowerPrivateNuclear power[2]
TransformcoPrivateRetail and real estateDebt interest[16]
VroomNasdaq: VRMCar dealership[17]
StorageMartPrivateSelf-storage[18]

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Bill's investment firm, Cascade Investment LLC, sent Melinda more than 14 million shares of Canadian National Railway Co. and more than 2.9 million shares of AutoNation Inc.

Worth about $2b, sent on the day they announced their divorce.

List of known holdings by Bill's Private Investment Company "Cascade Investements, LLC"

CompanyTickerSectorOwnership %
Four Seasons Hotels and ResortsPrivateHospitality47%[5][6]
EcolabNYSE: ECLConglomerate25%[7]
Canadian National RailwayRail transport14.2%[8]
FEMSABeverage and Retail[5]
Berkshire HathawayConglomerate4%[5]
Strategic Hotels & ResortsPrivateHospitality9.8%[5][9]
Republic ServicesNYSE: RSGWaste management34.1%[10]
Deere & CompanyNYSE: DEAgricultural, construction, forestry, outdoor power and turf maintenance equipment. OEM diesel and natural gas engine manufacturer.10.06%[11]
BunzlLSE: BNZLDistribution and Outsourcing6%[5]
CarpetrightLSE: CPRRetail3%[5]
DiageoBeverages1.56%[12]
AutoNationNYSE: ANCar dealership14%[2][13][14]
MicrosoftNasdaq: MSFTSoftware and Hardware conglomerate3.6%[2]
Beyond MeatNasdaq: BYNDFood[2][15]
Ritz-Carlton in San FranciscoPrivateHospitality[1]
TerraPowerPrivateNuclear power[2]
TransformcoPrivateRetail and real estateDebt interest[16]
VroomNasdaq: VRMCar dealership[17]
StorageMartPrivateSelf-storage[18]
I can't imagine how exhausting it would be to have and maintain that sh!t. Or even to have to pay people to maintain it all.

I get stressed by having more than a half dozen keys on my ring. :drowning: :roflmao:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Items 11 - 14 of the filing: SEPARATION CONTRACT

Seems to already have been agreed upon.

She's not asking for alimony. I guess she wouldn't need it.

Like I said, even an amicable 50/50 split will be a sh!t ton of work and will likely take years.

Reactions: BentoBox70

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
His significant ownership of CRN (14%), Ecolab (25%) and Deere & Co (10%) shows what a hypocrite he is.
*CRN is a massive CO2 emitter that hauls tons of coal and oil to be turned into more CO2.
*Ecolab provides water treatment services to all kinds of massive CO2 emitters (steel mills, coal & nat. gas fired powerplants, oil refineries, etc...).
*Deere makes internal combustion engines and turbines.
If Gates was the true climate warrior that he claims to be, he should have divested in these holdings the very moment he went on his crusade to halt global warming.
The Greens should be having a field day with him but not a peep. Same goes for Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway.