Biggest balls - downhill ski racers or big wave surfers?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Been watching the Hahnenkamm and recent Jaws vids and I wonder... The adrenaline rush has got to be the same, and a wipeout equals getting hit on the head by a pile driver or jumping out of a car on the freeway.

Mar 13, 2019
Hmmm, I ski raced all the way through college, and I don't think it's an easy comparison. Really different kind of rush, imo. In a downhill, the biggest variables are mental - how much are you willing to lay it all out vs holding back a little to manage your speed. You can often pull back a little if you feel overcommitted and regain a little control, reduce the risk factor. Yeah, the speeds are high and the wipeouts can be vicious but it's all momentum sliding across the snow rather than having a mountain come down on top of you.

In skiing the mountain isn't moving. It's a set course, you know the conditions, you've maybe even done the same run before. In surfing, the ocean is further out of your control. Maybe the next wave will be like the last one, but maybe it'll heave or ledge or boil or pinch. Maybe you're in the right takeoff zone, maybe you're too deep. There's a lot of maybe's.

Perhaps a closer analogy would be airing a really huge drop on skis, like a +40-50ft cliff. I that case, once you've scoped out that landing, it's literally a leap of faith. When you're above the cliff, you can't see the landing at all. You just see the end of the world. The terrain vanishes in front of you and the whole valley extends to the horizon. When (if) you land it, you still have to manage all your speed and deal with whatever the terrain has to offer - inconsistent snow, ice, boulders, trees, avalanches, stuff under the snow that you couldn't see. I could tell some stories...

Admittedly, I don't surf anything near as big as Jaws or Mavericks (DOH OBSF is about as big as I go), and I'm a way more proficient skier than surfer. But the possibility of a two-wave hold down at an XXL break scares the bejeezus out of me - way more than a downhill wipeout. On the other hand, I've known more skiers who have died skiing than surfers who have died surfing. So, there's that.

Either way, it all takes some special kind of crazy.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
the big air stuff seems more scary, the downhillers can get pretty messed up but it seems they come out generally unscathed. with the float vests and water assist big wave surfing is much safer now, less chance of drowning albeit still a major test of the testes. surfing gets my vote (y)

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm going to go with downhill ski racing. Big wave surfing at Jaws has become very controlled and safe thanks to inflation vests, jetskis and water safety. I'd put massive Tehoopo at closer to the realm of downhill ski racing. Wipeouts in ski racing almost never turn out good with many wrecked limbs and even a fair number of deaths.

Oct 28, 2020
Chicago
Haha it depends. I believe everyone has its own fears. While someone is afraid of skiing, someone could be afraid of a drop of water. I am not afraid of any of these two. Moreover I adore skiing. Every year me and my parents go on holiday to one of the resorts from https://bluehouseskis.com/. They have the best prices and offers any time.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
If you compare the competitive downhill skiiers injury rate vs. that of a pro big wave surfer I would say the skiiers get more injured by far. Not only by getting smoked when they fall, but also by the general wear and tear on the body by just going super fast on hard uneven ground. The champion skiers can hardly walk at 40 years old.

Then you have the backcountry idiots who get caught in avalanches all the time :monkey:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Downhill skiers and it isn’t even close. You fall surfing jaws and chances are near 100% you’ll be fine.

You fall on ice at 80mph and chances are near 100% you’ll be badly injured.
Well said and what I was getting at earlier in the thread. The bad wrecks in down hill ski racing almost never end well. Torn up knees, broken limbs and even death.

When was the last time you saw something like this in the middle of a WSL or Big Wave World Tour event........never. And his run was looking so good too. Broke both legs bad.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The question wasn't who gets hurt more, it was about ball size. I think it's a toss up. Getting caught inside big waves is always scary as fuk.

But my vote goes to free climbers ala Alex Honnold. Make a mistake and you die.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I think it's fairer to compare these guys to big wave surfing
And it's definitely more dangerous than riding a wave
what surfer has traveled 241km over solid ice on two toothpicks while taking a dump
the closest would be if Billy was in that barrel on a foil
now take would take some balls

Last edited: