bigger board, lower entry, wider nose.. fish? hybrid shortboard something?

4daBOYZ

OTF status
Jul 27, 2011
my daily driver is a coil widerboard 6'2 x20x 2.75. winter i ride it in everything up to head high, i really like how easy it gets into waves and i feel i surf better when i can do that. i had a hpsb shape in 6'7 x 19.75 x 2 7/8 that i thought would go better in that head high to overhead range for winter but it didnt work for me that well mostly because it didnt paddle as well and i couldnt get into waves as easy. i even took both boards to the beach when it was head high mid tide and was having way more fun with the 6'2. i sold the 6'7 but now not sure what to get.a lot of the short stubby type boards they say to ride shorter but with my weight i cant do that with stock dims so id need something custom. want to get a 6'4-6'5 bc although i i live in Hi i still surf a lot of mushier spots or spots that need more volume on higher tide, especially summer time. i ordered the widerboard when i was about 10lbs lighter, im 6'0 215 now but have a kid on the way so im guess i want something for 6'0 225-230 haha. guessing 40-45 liters. want it to catcher bigger overhead mushier surf but also be able to cruise summertime when im not in as good surf shape.

-one option is a hypto krypto type hybrid outline but would that suck in a 6'4 if im 6'0? was thinking 6'4 x 21 x 3
-another option is a shape like a pyzel nugget (dont even know if he still makes it) or roberts dream catcher type outline?
or should i just get a giant 6'4 fish? 6'4 x 22 2 7/8?

i know the lower rocker suffers when its hollower surf but i dont rip and surf super vertical, but i dont suck. i see plenty of guys around here surfing fishes just fine even when its pumping

what do you think.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
check out the Long Fish thread. I think you'd be fine most days on a fish. The classic twin keel fish were originally designed for SD reefs, and go good in hollow/rounder waves. The bonus is they usually have width/thickness to paddle into small/weaker waves and skate around flat spots as well.
If you don't love the twin fish feel, you might try something like a modern quad fish like the Seaside or Pyzel AstroPop since you typically surfing mushier waves even when they are bigger. I think they would scale up well at bigger volumes without having to go too long. If you want a more HP outline, Pyzel's Shadow or PhantomXL might work based on their description. Since you're in HI, might be worth a email/call to Pyzel and see which stock model/size they would recommend for the waves you surf.
Personally, I like Tomo designs, but I know they're not everyone's taste. There's something magic about his bottom concaves. A Hydroshort or Evo might work for you, and fairly easy to demo from a local shop.
Good luck, and update us if you pull the trigger on something with a ride report.

Last edited:

4daBOYZ

OTF status
Jul 27, 2011
lots of cool options but ending going with a local guy in a template/ specs very similar to that rusty zepplin. 6'5 21.5 x 3. im not even sure how well its going to work so i was a little hesistant to drop 8-900, it will save me a bunch to get one local than order from the mainland or oahu. thx for the input