'Big' Wave impact/flotation vest

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Who's got any experience and/or opinions? What size surf do you start wearing one?

Rip Curl makes a nice looking one, and it's available in NZ.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Who's got any experience and/or opinions? What size surf do you start wearing one?

Rip Curl makes a nice looking one, and it's available in NZ.

most guys around here who wear impact vests and crash suits are into patagucci.

they come out with the gaths at around 15ft and up depending on where and what its doing

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Saw a couple impact suits on the biggest rideable days of the season here in San Francisco, about 15-18 feet. At a big beach break, they must make getting out a lot harder because of all the duck diving and board ditching you have to do. Probably makes more sense if you are surfing a reef. At overhead Swarmis? :rolleyes:

Reactions: MathDebater

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
I bought the Patagonia one for the G land trip. Of course that didn't happen last year. Forgot all about. Don't wear it at my usual break though probably would try it out on a good sized day at Sunset or Makaha. Not too bad taking it off. Just slide both arms under first and it will pop right up.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
For heavy barrels and places with long hold downs seems like a great idea. Honestly many of them look bulkier and floatier than they probably need to be. Perhaps they should make some options based on the amount of buoyancy in the vest.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
3......2.....1......til i see a local supper using one.
:whistle:
If you surf the same spots I do......and I think you do........there are a couple of them and one in particular who really should wear one. In addition regarding the one guy in particular, every surfer within a 20 yard radius would be well advised to wear one. The guy is just flat out dangerous.

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
impact vests have cords? think your confusing it with the little string between your legs again
Title asking about flotation vests...

Sorry, you're going to have to get your redwings someplace else.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Thank you everybody for the contributions. I think :) And yes, I was referring to impact vests with a little flotation, not the pull-cord thingies.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My friend wears one when we surf an out of the way reef break. It is usually not big enough to need it but he feels safer being knowing he will float to the surface if something happened to him. The lineup is far off shore and spread out so it ensures someone can see him if he was knocked out.