Big toenail - done

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Stubbed big toe badly and it dislodged from the nail bed. Painful for sure. Soaked it in epsom salts and trimmed back the nail to basically nothing. Looks pretty gnarly and it's real tender.
Any advice?
Surf related because I can't imagine popping up on a wave anytime soon.
Just had a triple shot of Jameson, the pain is def fading :)

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Pretty much everyone I know who lost a toenail eventually grows it back and has fungus under the nail.

Tea tree oil is supposed to have anti-fungal properties.

So if you want to avoid that, maybe, just maybe, tea tree oil application now will stop that from happening.

Also might help your foot smell like it just came back the the spa recently.

Please note use of the words 'maybe' and 'might' and proceed as you desire.

Reactions: Belchfire1

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Pretty much everyone I know who lost a toenail eventually grows it back and has fungus under the nail.

So if you want to avoid that, maybe, just maybe, tea tree oil application now will stop that from happening.

Yeah man, already have the fungus so maybe the tea tree will help fend it off in the future. Hopefully

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

I had fungus on one big toe and ripped that toenail off all the way. I was so stoked when it finally grew back because it was fungus-free, but within another month or so the fungus was back

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
When the nail bed is not raw and starts to dry up a bit, and every day as the nail slowly grows back it would be wise to massage the toe 2 or 3 times a day with a moisturizer. This will condition the skin and help with blood flow. I often advise my patients to use an antifungal cream, too. Just. tiny tiny dab rubbed into the growing nail and nail bed to help fight off the fungus. Tea tree oil studies show some minor improvements...ymmv.

Reactions: Belchfire1