Big Sur

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Sad story from Plaskett when I was there last month. Apparently people are afraid to use the bathrooms, so a handful of campers have been shitting/peeing in buckets, but then taking the buckets into the bathrooms and dumping them in the toilets. Instant overflow and clogging. The poor camp hosts shouldn't have to deal with that. And it renders the bathrooms inoperable for everybody else until it's cleaned. Would not be surprised if it's also people camping up the fire roads where there aren't any bathrooms and then using it as a dump site. It really is sad to see how packed it has become. Still looking forward to the 9th annual New Years campout my friends and I have been partaking in. Last year was the first year out of all of them that we didn't surf. The weather was great, but it was too damn big!
We were down at Mill creek recently.

The trash cans/restrooms are serviced by the camp hosts as part of their contract. People were coming down from Prewitt Ridge, pulling up down there and just dropping huge bags of trash off. A huge, festering pile by noon on a Sunday. And at least those were the ones who actually had the courtesy to pack their trash out.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
It's been a long time coming. Big Sur is out of control all spring, summer, and fall with way more people than it can handle. Every year it gets worse.

There have already been major changes to other areas of Sur over the last decade. I rarely drive past Willow anymore.

Took a friend in the Spring. There wasn't even parking at Partington Cove. We had to wait for someone to leave. Got to the bottom and it was a shitshow of no less than 30 people at the end of the trail. Groups of people climbing all over the rocks and digging out steps in the dirt with their feet as that part of the trail continues to deteriorate.

So glad I got Big Sur in the 80s and 90s. Would have liked to experience it in the 70s.
Yep. Glad they closed camping on the ridge roads for now.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
So many of them.. Bro Fro. Brother Frog. One of the original Greatful Dead Merry Pranksters. He used to walk through the parking lot and sell custom hand painted t shirts. Water colors. One wash and it was Pau. Willow is like a magnet. You pull up there and watch it, you surf, you get out and hang out the rest of the day just watching the waves/sky/coastline. Ever changing.
Bro fro still makes shirts, and they last a very long time. He's in Morro Bay.

Reactions: JBerry

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
their omakase sushi service is pretty fkn astounding

someone said you can pay to camp there....

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
someone said you can pay to camp there....
Surely there must be some way to verify this

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
can you tell me if they have availability this week?

emoji responses only

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I highly doubt it. but possible.....
san simeon state beach has been closed since the shut down. I've got a res end sept and they are still saying closed then too.
That's part of the people camping on open forest roads problem. The state beach campgrounds are closed. no one wants to pay a hunnid bux to pitch a tent! so you have morons camping anywhere they can, starting fires, crapping everywhere,etc.

However,, Tree bones has a pool, a really nice restaurant, a bar, and bitchen views, so at a hunnid a site it could very well be worth it!!! Throw in some surf and you're golden!! call em up!, let us all know, with emojis!!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I stayed there for a weekend in a yurt with a friend

we were up all night because the neighbors ate some acidshrooms and
were running around the complex high as fook yelling at the moon

and then there's the shared bathroom

it's crazy how much money they get for those yurts

• Haha
Reactions: JBerry

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge

that sounds pretty damn fun, provided you brought some supplies yourself

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

I stayed in one of their camp sites.
I don't believe you get access to the pool. You may be right though.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Esalen rates

AccommodationsWeekend WorkshopsFive-Day Workshops
Standard Private$1345$2410
Standard Couple - One Bed$1690$2820
Standard Couple - Two Beds$1690$2820
Premium Room - Single$1505$2830

Treebones Rates

Begins at $320 (for a shared bathroom experience)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jkb

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Esalen rates

AccommodationsWeekend WorkshopsFive-Day Workshops
Standard Private$1345$2410
Standard Couple - One Bed$1690$2820
Standard Couple - Two Beds$1690$2820
Premium Room - Single$1505$2830

Treebones Rates

Begins at $320 (for a shared bathroom experience)

Can you put a price on naked ladies in public?
I went last August with my wife and coincidentally, there was a yoga retreat happening at the same time we were there. All chicks. All naked. All starring at me like I was a piece of meat, as I was one of few guys there.
If I was a young single guy, I'd plan a stay at Esalen during a yoga retreat!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I went last August with my wife and coincidentally, there was a yoga retreat happening at the same time we were there. All chicks. All naked. All starring at me like I was a piece of meat, as I was one of few guys there.
that's good info right there.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Last year we got the full yoga display down at Willow by some surfer guy's gf while he was out in the water. You could tell she was getting off on it with a parking lot full of guys perving on her....

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008