Big Island Kona Tips

Oct 25, 2019
Headed in mid Feb. Intermediate Long Board mostly 65yo so no young buck. No desire to prove anything at this age. Waikiloa for a few days teaching Qigong and then free. By myself from NC . So places to stay and breaks to explore. Would rather not be at a Hilton etc. Am thinking of taking a 7 6 and an 8. Finds thick and if I need something else I will buy one. Maybe thinking of hiring a guide so I dont waste a lot of time. Also wish to show respect for locals. Any info appreciated. Surf shops. No go places. No reef experience. Thanks Mahalo

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Your best bet for a spot is Kahalu'u on the southern edge of Kona town or Pine Trees north of town by the old airport. There are no beach breaks in Kona, it's all reef and most spots are shallow. Lymans is another option in Kona that might suit your experience. Given all of those spots are on the southern edge of the island, you may not get a lot of swell in Feb, but probably something to longboard at Kahalu'u. Don't go to Banyans in Kona or Honolii on Hilo side. Respect the locals, be mindful of them and don't be greedy!