big boys, grovelers and board height

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Greg could answer some off This stuff better but I will try

The 2 boards mentioned have thickness flow moved up and nose widths that are kinda wider.

This helps suport the weight when the stance is forward
The rest of the board is along for the ride and since they are fairly neutral keeping them in control is easy . Combine that with fins that stay free ( no inside foil and smaller back fin )

I bet you would love a forward vee board . Rawson does some sweet ones that have light concaves out the tail

http://instagr.am/p/BsV5lAsHbDT/
Great info, thanks retodd! I'm thinking I need to start looking for boards that have that volume/width moved forward. Too late for me to totally change my style to be more backfooted. I think I'll start a thread about it!

Reactions: retodd

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
i've spent years wELL over 2 bills. you might get lucky on someone's recommendation...but it's only luck. conditions, spot, your skills, your tastes, fins, every damn F()#*(& thing plays into it. just plague craigslist for what you can find....try it out...then take it to a solid shaper and say what you do and do not liek about the board.

4daBOYZ

OTF status
Jul 27, 2011
y
i've spent years wELL over 2 bills. you might get lucky on someone's recommendation...but it's only luck. conditions, spot, your skills, your tastes, fins, every damn F()#*(& thing plays into it. just plague craigslist for what you can find....try it out...then take it to a solid shaper and say what you do and do not liek about the board.
ya problem is craigslist doesnt have a ton of fat boy boards as most are otr. luckily my shapers custom prices are very reasonable and if it doesn't work i can trade it back to him as credit towards a new custom. I'll just have to work through it with him but this has been a good sounding board

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
y

ya problem is craigslist doesnt have a ton of fat boy boards as most are otr. luckily my shapers custom prices are very reasonable and if it doesn't work i can trade it back to him as credit towards a new custom. I'll just have to work through it with him but this has been a good sounding board
dive in man...dive in....just remember, if going quad, MUCH bigger rear fins are your friend....aka shaving down front fins if futures

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I didn't buy my first eggs and logs until I was in my early 40's. I was stubborn and felt that a short board, regardless of dimensions, was always the call. I suffered many a session.

That board Griffy posted is very nice.. but you're asking what will work best in waist-high mush.

The most important question is: do you want to have fun, catch a lot of waves and glide n' slide on a small mushy day; or do you want to be continuously pumping and struggling?

Have a quiver and bring the right board for the right day.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Being a big guy myself (heavy on that front foot/inside rail) I've always quietly struggled with volume, and the liters game too. The guys have brought up a lot of great points, and suggestions. I can't remember what thread or who said it, but it really resonated with me, mushy=front footed, good waves=rear footed. My body weight can fluctuate (depending on tr-tip, and modelo intake,) this summer I was 260, and riding 49-50 liters, I'm 225 now and just ordered a 6'0" that's 45 liters. As far as a grovel specific model, and I'm not sure its really a groveler but perhaps one the easiest boards to surf (front foot, back foot, anywhere on the board,) I'd say Stretch Quadfish. Oh and another thing that really helped me too, was using stomp pads, getting my rear foot all the way back against vert part of the pad, it really helped my surfing.

Reactions: Aruka

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
dive in man...dive in....just remember, if going quad, MUCH bigger rear fins are your friend....aka shaving down front fins if futures
I'm curious about trying this, so exactly what will having a bigger rear (quad fin), and slightly smaller front (quad fin) do to help the the "front footed" guy?

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I'm curious about trying this, so exactly what will having a bigger rear (quad fin), and slightly smaller front (quad fin) do to help the the "front footed" guy?
No he means run large fronts and large rears at the same time. With Futures boxes, you have to shave down the tab of a front fin for it to fit into the shallower rear box. Front Futures boxes are deeper than the rears.

Not an issue with FCS or LokBox (RIP).

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm not a big guy, but have struggled in the past with getting my back foot further back. With longer boards, I would often find myself riding further up to balance over the center part of the board to maximize speed.

Shorter boards have definitely helped getting my back foot further back. For grovelers specifically, I've found mini-simmons type shapes to be the best for me and I think it would translate well to bigger guys because you can pack a lot of volume in a short package with their wide noses and tails. I think wider tails are important for grovelers in mushy surf because they help you skate through those flat spots and maintain speed.

Gregs Hovercraft was already posted above and I think that would be an excellent choice. Another board that might work for a bigger guy would be something like the Hydrodynamica Cybersim.

1585582668303.png

Last edited:
Reactions: oeste858

4daBOYZ

OTF status
Jul 27, 2011
Does your "mush" spot break close or far from shore? This should be a factor in your decision.
high tide its more of a longboard fish wave that you need to get in early if battling crowds, but when the tide drops or it gets in that shoulder high + its a you can shortboard just fine wave. breaks kind of far out

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I'm 6'2 and between 215 and 220. I found low rockers and at least 37L to be the sweet spot. I usually order 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8 (maybe 2 3/4).

Just purchased a twin keel fish that is 6'0 x 21 x 2 3/4 and it is more than enough float for me.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
high tide its more of a longboard fish wave that you need to get in early if battling crowds, but when the tide drops or it gets in that shoulder high + its a you can shortboard just fine wave. breaks kind of far out
Get a modern 9 footer. It will work every day, at all tides.