Biden just said if I buy an electric car I will save $80 a month on fuel costs.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
An honest question. Who pays for it is an element of any project. In this case you advocate that each individual warehouse owner cover their roofs with solar panels. So the individual owners pay for it? The utility? Federal/state/municipal government?

Lololo?

Should be easy, there may be other sources for funding but those are the most likely. Thanks in advance!
Bump for fecalface.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Well, this is why the government is subsidizing solar in the US.

While there's initial investment, the long term savings are big, especially for a corporation.
Also, sometimes it's a right thing to do.

Around here solar car ports are pretty common at hotels and medical buildings and unlike Arizona, we have clouds, June Gloom and Gray May.

So Arizona is just being dumb, as always.
Texas too.

View attachment 130367
Our power is also much cheaper.

We're built better

And solar car ports are in most new buildings, just like you're describing

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
You're running AC 24/7

Nothing about Arizona is better.
I run AC the same months in Southern CA that I run AC here

And it’s cheaper despite having 2 units and a house twice the size

Literally everything is better besides lack of ocean

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

I don't even have or need A/C.

I do have two fridges though and they each have wine and beer in them. :beer:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

From experience, L the fuck OL. My electric bill was easily 3x my bill in SD. And the AC was on pretty much non-stop from early May through mid October. We even did the "don't use it from noon to 4" thing to get super special rates. Nothing like stepping into a 100 degree house when you get off work!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Who funds anything?

What kinda a question is that, lololo
The answer is that developers fund them as they build new product, but the ultimate price is paid by underlying land owners whose residual purchase price for dirt is reduced as costs are added. New homes in CA going forward must all hit minimum solar requirements, and I don't hear anyone screaming about "Who Will Fund This???!!!"

I'd imagine that as time passes, buildings not on solar will be viewed as obsolete.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Are you unaware of the enviro-nuts desire to remove dams? Gotta save the feeesh you know. Do you honestly think we'll be building any new ones in the future?
Why can't you discuss a topic without sidetracking? How many of the dams in that link were actively producing energy? You keep saying liberals hate hydro, but you don't seem to even understand the difference between a normal dam and an energy-producing one.

Show me where liberals are shutting down active energy producing dams in the US.

In the meantime, I'll show you where evil greenies are pushing to retrofit normal dams so they also produce energy: https://www.wired.com/story/retrofitting-dams-green-energy/

And yes, retrofitting serves not only to produce more hydro energy, but also to reduce the need to build new dams. Win/win.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The answer is that developers fund them as they build new product, but the ultimate price is paid by underlying land owners whose residual purchase price for dirt is reduced as costs are added. New homes in CA going forward must all hit minimum solar requirements, and I don't hear anyone screaming about "Who Will Fund This???!!!"

I'd imagine that as time passes, buildings not on solar will be viewed as obsolete.
Because new home development in California is the same thing as existing warehouses in Arizona. Got it.

How much time in decades do you imagine?

Do you have solar energy in your home? What kind of system?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
“First and foremost, it’s important to understand three little words the government slips in front of the $7,500 credit – “may” and “up to.” As in, you may qualify for up to $7,500 in federal tax credit for your electric vehicle. At first glance, this credit may sound like a simple flat rate, but that is unfortunately not the case.”

MAY qualify for UP TO $7,500.

Ok. Rivian Truck starts at $79,500.

So I’m $72k out of pocket (and contrary to your belief you can’t write off a personal vehicle as a business expense).

$80 a month savings in fuel cost.

900 months.

75 years to recoup my money from the gas savings.

I’ll be 126 years old.

Isn’t it better for the planet for me to just keep my Tacoma rather than having a whole nuther car built?

Can’t afford gas? Buy this $80,000 electric truck. You‘ll “save money”.

View attachment 127128
I love when duffer frames sh!t to support his bias.

I notice that he doesn't factor in the price of replacing a gas powered truck with a gas powered truck.

Typical

A better way to frame that would be "When you buy a new truck . . . "

Duffy "BUT THAT's NOT WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!"

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I love when duffer frames sh!t to support his bias.

I notice that he doesn't factor in the price of replacing a gas powered truck with a gas powered truck.

Typical

A better way to frame that would be "When you buy a new truck . . . "

Duffy "BUT THAT's NOT WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!"
That was two months ago. I’ve changed.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
From experience, L the fook OL. My electric bill was easily 3x my bill in SD. And the AC was on pretty much non-stop from early May through mid October. We even did the "don't use it from noon to 4" thing to get super special rates. Nothing like stepping into a 100 degree house when you get off work!
How old was your house and AC

These things matter

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Why can't you discuss a topic without sidetracking? How many of the dams in that link were actively producing energy? You keep saying liberals hate hydro, but you don't seem to even understand the difference between a normal dam and an energy-producing one.

Show me where liberals are shutting down active energy producing dams in the US.

In the meantime, I'll show you where evil greenies are pushing to retrofit normal dams so they also produce energy: https://www.wired.com/story/retrofitting-dams-green-energy/

And yes, retrofitting serves not only to produce more hydro energy, but also to reduce the need to build new dams. Win/win.
We were looking into buying new in CA before the job opportunity came up

Who funds the solar on new houses? The owner

Another forced cost to pay in an already nuclearlly inflated cost environment

Yay Sacramento!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Because new home development in California is the same thing as existing warehouses in Arizona. Got it.

How much time in decades do you imagine?

Do you have solar energy in your home? What kind of system?
Solar doesn't fit well on my roof. I looked years ago and it wasn't close to cost effective. My next home will have solar. Fortunately, our electric use is pretty minor - rarely use AC, don't have a pool, water heater is gas etc. I may reconsider on the current house as we move to replacing our cars with EVs.

And I don't think anyone is screaming to force existing warehouses in Arizona to convert to solar. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if you can show me otherwise. Just like EV's, you can't force it on people immediately, but you can phase it in over a period of years.

And to be clear, new industrial in Arizona IS largely going solar. That's not even a question.

And also to be clear, the problem in AZ was that for years the energy companies were actively fighting against more solar. So even when people wanted it, energy companies put limits on how many new hookups they'd add with solar. Utility companies like SRP are now being hit with anti-trust claims that will likely force them to open the doors to solar for good.

Fun fact, Arizona is actually the largest solar producer in the US. It only uses 12% of its own solar energy - the rest is sold to other cities/states.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
We were looking into buying new in CA before the job opportunity came up

Who funds the solar on new houses? The owner

Another forced cost to pay in an already nuclearlly inflated cost environment

Yay Sacramento!
False.

Home builders price land so homes net about an 8-10% margin. Land pricing starts with assumed revenues, then a builder reduces out direct build costs, fees, land development costs and then all of the standard soft costs to arrive at a residual land value.

So when costs go up over time, it's not the builder who pays for it, it's the land owner who's selling the dirt to the builder who sees less in his purchase price. Only short term cost changes (i.e., costs that deviate from a builder's project-specific pro forma assumptions - lately, lumber has been the killer) hit the builder's margin.

The notion that these costs are "passed on" to buyers is bullshit - homes aren't cost based priced, they're market priced.

EDIT - the above assumes that solar is mandatory. If solar is an option choses by a buyer, then yes, they're choosing to pay for it. In AZ, that's how it works. In CA, it's mandatory so the cost is baked into the land valuation equation.