Biden just said if I buy an electric car I will save $80 a month on fuel costs.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Sorry the truth is boring

it’s really simple. If you like an EV and want to deal with it, buy one. If you like ICE and want to deal with it, buy one
no one ever said otherwise

just a bunch of morons coming out of the woodwork with a tired trope about all their thousand mile roadtrips

cluck cluck

If it’s not perfect and preferable for all situations, then it’s not even worth considering for any situations.
perfect is the enemy of good

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
no one ever said otherwise

just a bunch of morons coming out of the woodwork with a tired trope about all their thousand mile roadtrips

cluck cluck
Reminds me of when people say it’s better to own a truck because it makes moving easier . . . . Like, how the fuck often are you moving :unsure: :roflmao:

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Reminds me of when people say it’s better to own a truck because it makes moving easier . . . . Like, how the fook often are you moving :unsure: :roflmao:
I haven't moved in 20 years, but it seems to me that all my truckless friends hit me up whenever they move.

• Haha

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
But how much is your time worth? How many extra hours on the road are you willing to waste waiting for the car to charge? That’s almost like convincing yourself that driving from Jacksonville to Miami is a good idea to save $200 on a flight to Central America. Is the 11hrs in the car worth the $200 savings? Right now, my time is worth about $40/hr…
I've been thinking about this math and thought I'd plot it out.

Let's use a Hyundai Ioniq 5 since that's what I'm getting soon.

For an SD to Mammoth trip, we'll call it an even 400 miles? Maybe a few miles long, but it's a nice round number.

Ioniq uses 34 kWh per 100 miles driven, and we'll call it on the high end of rates so let's say $.43/kWh to charge along the way (in reality, I'd charge at $.10/kWh at home before I left, so 200 or so of my miles would be at this rate). It charges at a rate of 275 miles/30 minutes on Level 3 chargers, and there are plenty on the way - in fact, there are a ton of apps that will locate available stations along the route and plan your trip accordingly - so that's not really a worry. The 400 miles driven will burn 136 kWh at $.43 per kWh, or just under $60 to charge the trip. Add $40 to cover an hour of charge time plus some general dilly dallying (using your $40/hour number) and you're at $100 for the drive.

You say you've got a truck? Holds what, 20 gallons at a generous 20 mpg? So a tank of gas costs about $6 x 20 = $120 in CA. You get the full 400 miles for $120 in gas, with a single tank. A real analysis would add a value of the time you spent pumping gas, eating, pissing etc., but we'll let that slide. Your trip costs $120.

So the EV, even when assuming a high end charge rate and adding the value of your time to the equation, is still the better option. Math.

And just to show how un-awful the trip to Mammoth is in an EV, I found this little diddy: https://johnchow.com/tesla-model-y-road-trip-to-mammoth-mountain/

This guy's trip from OC sounds like the thing of nightmares lol.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I've been thinking about this math and thought I'd plot it out.

Let's use a Hyundai Ioniq 5 since that's what I'm getting soon.

For an SD to Mammoth trip, we'll call it an even 400 miles? Maybe a few miles long, but it's a nice round number.

Ioniq uses 34 kWh per 100 miles driven, and we'll call it on the high end of rates so let's say $.43/kWh to charge along the way (in reality, I'd charge at $.10/kWh at home before I left, so 200 or so of my miles would be at this rate). It charges at a rate of 275 miles/30 minutes on Level 3 chargers, and there are plenty on the way - in fact, there are a ton of apps that will locate available stations along the route and plan your trip accordingly - so that's not really a worry. The 400 miles driven will burn 136 kWh at $.43 per kWh, or just under $60 to charge the trip. Add $40 to cover an hour of charge time plus some general dilly dallying (using your $40/hour number) and you're at $100 for the drive.

You say you've got a truck? Holds what, 20 gallons at a generous 20 mpg? So a tank of gas costs about $6 x 20 = $120 in CA. You get the full 400 miles for $120 in gas, with a single tank. A real analysis would add a value of the time you spent pumping gas, eating, pissing etc., but we'll let that slide. Your trip costs $120.

So the EV, even when assuming a high end charge rate and adding the value of your time to the equation, is still the better option. Math.

And just to show how un-awful the trip to Mammoth is in an EV, I found this little diddy: https://johnchow.com/tesla-model-y-road-trip-to-mammoth-mountain/

This guy's trip from OC sounds like the thing of nightmares lol.
The Porsche that fecalface sold was made for that trip.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
terrible!
We agree! adding 7-10 hours to an already exhausting trip sounds amazeballs...and the amount of planning and stress involved...can't run the AC while stuck in traffic so that the battery charge doesn't go down while plotting out where the next station sounds like a great way to travel.

I've decided EV drivers are the vegans of the car world.
"Hey everyone, look at me driving (vegan diet) an EV"
"you should too, its better for everyone!"

While eating Vegan tastes good (sometimes) Vegan diets involve way to much thought. Every meal must be examined, planned out and a majority of meals are consumed from home. Could not imagine having to think beyond 5 seconds what my next meal is going to be and how to consume it.

Same with EV.

Reactions: GromsDad

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Gas went up 25 cents yesterday
Takes lots of driving to make boards here in Florida , ok at 2.00 a gallon , not so ok today
Everything is going from this for everyone
My daughter is having some trouble with this Sooooo

Fark Joe Biden
I wonder how bad things will have to get before the Brandon Fan Club admits they screwed the pooch?

• Haha