Bezt 3mm Booties

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
After many years of honorable service, my xcel 3 mm drylocks are going to sh!t. I can't even remember when I got them. They've held up well but they're starting to thin out and take on a lot of water. My inclination is to get the same boots again but it seems like xcel quality has gone downhill.

I am a wussy San Diegan who uses booties for some rocky breaks during the winter.

With that being said, who makes the best booty nowadays? I've only had split toes in the past but don't have strong feelings either way.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Recently got the 3 mil Solites. Plenty warm, but even more impressive is that not once, after about 6 sessions, did i get the toe fold while popping up. Cant say that for any other boot ive owned.

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
super stoked on quiksilver highline plus 3mil. got my actual shoe size( 11).
It will be hard to stop wearing them when it warms up

Reactions: MathDebater

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not a bootie guy, but I gotta say I'm digging my Vans 3 mil, round toe boots. They are great, but are kind of a pain to get on and off.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My local shop says Xcel Drylocks are still the best. I haven't worn booties in over 20 years. New Years Eve's morning, I ran down and after talking to a couple guys I surf with, they convinced me should grab my bigger (5'11" vs. 5'9") board. The short jog home with wet feet was enough to make them feel worthless. I remembered I had an ancient pair of O'neill's in my board closet, so I thew them on and ran back down.

I soon realized why I don't wear booties as I blew about half of my waves with my rear toe either rolling under or just sticking. It was a challenging day without trying to figure out booties agin, with 3-4 OH chunky wonky waves coming through. After about an hour and a half I was so over the booties I got out and ripped the things off. I didn't know but my wife and my 13 year old daughter were watching the entire time. My daughter kindly told me how much I was sucking this particular day. I proceeded to give the booties to the lifeguard I know pretty well and he was going to put a "take me" sign on them. I told my daughter to watch and hopefully see me redeem myself. I paddled out again and got five waves in a row without issue and was able to hold my head high again in front of my family.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Chase you just explained my usual experience with booties, but the Vans have made me a believer? Maybe it was the split toe, that always threw me off, or my precambrian size 14's always being between sizes? If I get them true to size they fill up like water balloons, and am constantly dragging/folding toes, and cursing myself for wearing them again, but... the Vans round toe in a 13 work like a champ, no more folding toes, good feed back, keep my feet warm, and I don't tear up my feet on the walk to the waves. The only downside, is they are hard to get on and off, narrow openings, and pretty tight on my cankles.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My local shop says Xcel Drylocks are still the best. I haven't worn booties in over 20 years. New Years Eve's morning, I ran down and after talking to a couple guys I surf with, they convinced me should grab my bigger (5'11" vs. 5'9") board. The short jog home with wet feet was enough to make them feel worthless. I remembered I had an ancient pair of O'neill's in my board closet, so I thew them on and ran back down.

I soon realized why I don't wear booties as I blew about half of my waves with my rear toe either rolling under or just sticking. It was a challenging day without trying to figure out booties agin, with 3-4 OH chunky wonky waves coming through. After about an hour and a half I was so over the booties I got out and ripped the things off. I didn't know but my wife and my 13 year old daughter were watching the entire time. My daughter kindly told me how much I was sucking this particular day. I proceeded to give the booties to the lifeguard I know pretty well and he was going to put a "take me" sign on them. I told my daughter to watch and hopefully see me redeem myself. I paddled out again and got five waves in a row without issue and was able to hold my head high again in front of my family.
phew, close one. sounds like your daughter was about to disown you.

i always go down a size vs. shoe size and don't have any issues with toe folding or ballooning.

usually.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I have been stocked on Manera booties. Best fitting bootie I've owned in 30 years. Almost no water gets into them. No ballooning, no rolling under your foot.

This is going to sound crazy, but you should try the 5mm internal split toe. Feels closer to a 3mm, IMO.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I have been stocked on Manera booties. Best fitting bootie I've owned in 30 years. Almost no water gets into them. No ballooning, no rolling under your foot.

This is going to sound crazy, but you should try the 5mm internal split toe. Feels closer to a 3mm, IMO.
I can't wear split toe. I have ginormous big toes and my second toe rests on a small portion of their outside edges. I tried on a pair of Xcel Drylock round toes size 12 which fit pretty well, but I was hesitant to buy them since it's only been a few days in the last couple of decades in LA that I've wished I was wearing booties. This year feels colder for some reason, or maybe it's just that I'm nearing 50 and my blood is thinning out.

johnson7, I'll try a pair of the Vans round toes. The shop guys at my local said they didn't think Vans have them figured out yet and pointed me in Xcel direction, but If they fit as well as the Xcels, they're an option. I definitely hope the less chunky sole on either compared to my old O'Neills would stop the toe-stick/roll.

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I probably would have never tried the Manera's but literally everything else was already sold out.

I'm really glad I gave them a shot though. I'll definitely replace them with another pair when they need replacing.

Wish they were a little bit taller, but that's my only gripe and it's a small issue.

Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Seriously everything is sold out in normal adult sizes but these it seems. I ended up ordering the 3 mm, thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: jkb

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I can't wear split toe. I have ginormous big toes and my second toe rests on a small portion of their outside edges. I tried on a pair of Xcel Drylock round toes size 12 which fit pretty well, but I was hesitant to buy them since it's only been a few days in the last couple of decades in LA that I've wished I was wearing booties. This year feels colder for some reason, or maybe it's just that I'm nearing 50 and my blood is thinning out.

johnson7, I'll try a pair of the Vans round toes. The shop guys at my local said they didn't think Vans have them figured out yet and pointed me in Xcel direction, but If they fit as well as the Xcels, they're an option. I definitely hope the less chunky sole on either compared to my old O'Neills would stop the toe-stick/roll.
I think for me it was the round toe design, I've actually had the booties for almost a year, before I started wearing them. Even though they are kind of a pain to get on and off, they worked well enough I'm gonna keep rocking them. I usually have a bootie phobia like you described, blowing waves via toe dragging, and my big toes are "ginormous" too! Iv'e also noticed waxing is less important with the booties, give em a shot.