Beware: I got scammed by one posing to sell items on this forum

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Buyers beware. I was suckered. My stupidity to trust someone.

I was buying a set of used dhd fcs2 fiberglass fins by someone who responded to my ad on the classified section on the forum - "jamesjohnnny." Seems he scammed. If I am wrong then, I will take back my words with full apologies.

Here's how it worked.

"Jamesjohnnny" responded to my forum post in classified. He said he knew someone selling them and gave me the email of the supposed guy selling them. I emailed the guy. He responded asking if I was willing to ship and use PayPal. I could only use my Venmo. He said Venmo would have to be his son's account. "Lance Musgrove" was the name on the Venmo Account. He was impatient in the timeline to get the Venmo payment but has not provided the required evidence of shipping of the fins. No response to follow up emails asking for photo evidence of shipment or possession of the fins.

It seems I have been had as a fool. My bad.

Watch out for deceivers in the classified forums. Don't be a fool like me.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Buyers beware. I was suckered. My stupidity to trust someone.

I was buying a set of used dhd fcs2 fiberglass fins by someone who responded to my ad on the classified section on the forum - "jamesjohnnny." Seems he scammed. If I am wrong then, I will take back my words with full apologies.

Here's how it worked.

"Jamesjohnnny" responded to my forum post in classified. He said he knew someone selling them and gave me the email of the supposed guy selling them. I emailed the guy. He responded asking if I was willing to ship and use PayPal. I could only use my Venmo. He said Venmo would have to be his son's account. "Lance Musgrove" was the name on the Venmo Account. He was impatient in the timeline to get the Venmo payment but has not provided the required evidence of shipping of the fins. No response to follow up emails asking for photo evidence of shipment or possession of the fins.

It seems I have been had as a fool. My bad.

Watch out for deceivers in the classified forums. Don't be a fool like me.
I was messaged by the same guy. Same exact message on two different fins. Thankfully I felt like something was up and didn't message him on the 2nd one. Fucking scammers are POS. Get a real job instead of trying to scam people.

1714165973461.png

Same message. Different fins.

1714166000175.png

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
that sucks. i've had good luck buying fins and whatnot on here but usually only from long time forum members. if i'm not 100% sure I will check the member's post history, see when they were registered, what they post about, etc.

Jan 3, 2024
I got a very similar message...always my friend ____ has ____ for sale email him at _____

If the language sounds like it was written by an AI and/or Nigerian Prince, stay away

I definitely didn't get catfished out of $1000 one time...

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
Same happen to me but they never really followed through and I never sent payment.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It’s the best.
This may sound weird but I think when you start giving your stuff away you are subconsciously signaling yourself that you have enough.

It's a way of signalling safety.

That is why it feels good.

And then when you suffer an unexpected loss, for example something is stolen, it's actually easier because you just give stuff away.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This may sound weird but I think when you start giving your stuff away you are subconsciously signaling yourself that you have enough.

It's a way of signalling safety.

That is why it feels good.

And then when you suffer an unexpected loss it's actually easier because you just give stuff away.
Sounds reasonable.