Best twinny for quality beachies and points

Oct 2, 2019
G'day
I'm looking to treat my self to a quality twin fin here in byron bay.
I'm tossing up between a Gary Mcneil RTT, Vouch Vish and Morning of the Earth Tracks Twinny
Anyone give me some pointers on which direction to go or suggest an alternative.
I'm tempted to get one shaped up by my local guy which would be half the price of the Vouch or MOTE and a few hundred cheaper than the RTT however I would rather pay the extra if these boards are worth it.
Mostly surfing good quality beachies and local point breaks (would love something that could handle the superbank when its on too)
Im an intermediate level surfer, really fit (surf 4-5 days a week) and just hit 30y/o
Cheers

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
I surf the Tweed and Gold Coast and just went through this process (31 surf 3 times a week). MOTE look pretty awesome, but I settled on McNeill. More information out there and most people I speak to riding them love them. I went with a small wave design because it’s Spring and Summer time but would definitely have gone a RTT if after something versatile, especially when it gets better and bigger.

MOTE do great boards for good waves, but not sure about the lower end of their range. Would definitely work for the super bank.

Vouch look alright, but I got turned off by the guys behind it and a bit of their social media stuff that came off as unapproachable. Also, the vish doesn’t look that versatile and if I was going for a good wave board it would be the MOTE or Entity or RTT.

Album have just set up a shop in Currumbin and I reckon Asher Pacy is going to be surfing for them now. Their boards look good. The Innsanity would be well suited to good waves and is similar to the Entity probably with a touch more lower end.

Stacey’s Bullet Twin is meant to be amazing if you want to surf more “critically”.

There’s a guy in Newy who shapes a super fast twinny that’s meant to be awesome called the anchovy I believe.

Christensen’s might be worth looking into at the onboard store in Byron. Don’t know anyone who has had one though.

Oct 2, 2019
Cheers for the feedback man, yeah Gary's boards sell at a good price point too and i've heard excellent things about the RTT
Ill check out some of those other names you mentioned.
I'd love a christensen however all the guys i know that have his boards have issues with them being damaged easily, i do hear they're great to surf though.

Jul 29, 2018
I have both th rtt and 3 morning of the earth twinnies. The Fiji , massive and tracks Twinnie. Also have a cc fish and a bing cypress (which is a twin plus trailer).
The best performance ones are the RTT and the cypress. The cypress Is more versatile where the RTT is looser. The MOTE boards are really carvey and hold really well. All boards are fantastic.

Reactions: Aruka
Oct 2, 2019
Bloody hell mate thats one hell of a quiver!
I've surfed a tracks twinny a few times and it was real nice.
I've heard the RTT are tough as guts and knowing yours is performing well is a thumbs up for me. Hard to choose between a MOTE and the RTT though, price would prob sway me at this stage though hey
Cheers mate

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I had an RTT and a Jye Byrnes traditional fish (which looked very similar to the vish) - the RTT was leaps and bound more performance orientated, but the byrnes fish grovelled really well. Gary is great to deal with - vouch, as Tomay suggested - nup. I got banned from their instagram because i made a comment that their daily double looked like a v.bowls. Precious much?

Also Mctavish just released a new twin: https://www.mctavish.com.au/collections/el-rayo-verde
And Josh Keough does some really nice twins: https://www.joshkeoghsurfboards.com/salsa-twin

Reactions: Tomay and Aruka

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Hate to confuse things further but I’ve got a Vouch Vish and absolutely love it. Such a sick little board. Definitely some Hutcho magic in there as it does the cruisey fish thing brilliantly but you can also surf the thing way more hi-po/aggressively then it’s appearance would suggest.
I personally found Evan great to deal with, even changed his plans when he found out I was flying in on a Sunday so I could pick the board up fresh off the plane.
I also have a McNeill which is a great board. Gary just seems to distribute the foam so well and keeps those rails nice and fine.
I must say both the McNeill and the Vish are some of the best built boards I’ve ever owned. Hardly a heel dent on either of them.

Reactions: Aruka
Jul 29, 2018
Bloody hell mate thats one hell of a quiver!
I've surfed a tracks twinny a few times and it was real nice.
I've heard the RTT are tough as guts and knowing yours is performing well is a thumbs up for me. Hard to choose between a MOTE and the RTT though, price would prob sway me at this stage though hey
Cheers mate

Haha. That's jsut the start of my quiver . But I'd go the RTT and keep a an eye out for a second hands MOTE on gumtree when one comes up
Also with the RTT I use the Rasta mr style fins for carves and the keels for down the line speed. But I use the mr style fins 95% of the time. Only problem is the bamboo fins tend to crack at the base. I have just bought some aipas for my cypress so quite keen to try them in the torus.

Edit. My torus is the flax Eco one.

Oct 2, 2019
Haha. That's jsut the start of my quiver . But I'd go the RTT and keep a an eye out for a second hands MOTE on gumtree when one comes up
Also with the RTT I use the Rasta mr style fins for carves and the keels for down the line speed. But I use the mr style fins 95% of the time. Only problem is the bamboo fins tend to crack at the base. I have just bought some aipas for my cypress so quite keen to try them in the torus.

Edit. My torus is the flax Eco one.
Ha! well Im trying to build a decent quiver up with no wasted boards in there given im stuck studying another 2 years.
Got a pyzel ghost and phantom both of which are fantastic, need a nice twinny and eventually a midlength then ill be happy (well for a few months probably :rolleyes: )
There's a nice MOTE up atm but its $800 second hand hahaha.
I've had some bamboo quad fins crack at the base too.
Will email gary and get a price on a PU RTT (couldn't afford the flax one)
How does the flax go in comparison to PU ?
Cheers for the tips man!

Oct 2, 2019
Hate to confuse things further but I’ve got a Vouch Vish and absolutely love it. Such a sick little board. Definitely some Hutcho magic in there as it does the cruisey fish thing brilliantly but you can also surf the thing way more hi-po/aggressively then it’s appearance would suggest.
I personally found Evan great to deal with, even changed his plans when he found out I was flying in on a Sunday so I could pick the board up fresh off the plane.
I also have a McNeill which is a great board. Gary just seems to distribute the foam so well and keeps those rails nice and fine.
I must say both the McNeill and the Vish are some of the best built boards I’ve ever owned. Hardly a heel dent on either of them.
Haha yeah hard to make a choice. I've heard both are made very well.
Which would you pick if you could only have one, RTT or Vish.
Be nice to be loaded and just get whatever the hell i want.

Oct 2, 2019
I had an RTT and a Jye Byrnes traditional fish (which looked very similar to the vish) - the RTT was leaps and bound more performance orientated, but the byrnes fish grovelled really well. Gary is great to deal with - vouch, as Tomay suggested - nup. I got banned from their instagram because i made a comment that their daily double looked like a v.bowls. Precious much?

Also Mctavish just released a new twin: https://www.mctavish.com.au/collections/el-rayo-verde
And Josh Keough does some really nice twins: https://www.joshkeoghsurfboards.com/salsa-twin
I've actually spotted a few of those byrnes fishes around, they look good, one on marketplace atm for a decent price, would prefer more performance based twin though hey.
Funny how people have bad experience with the vouch guys.... who gives a sh!t what someone comments on insta

Jul 29, 2018
Ha! well Im trying to build a decent quiver up with no wasted boards in there given im stuck studying another 2 years.
Got a pyzel ghost and phantom both of which are fantastic, need a nice twinny and eventually a midlength then ill be happy (well for a few months probably :rolleyes: )
There's a nice MOTE up atm but its $800 second hand hahaha.
I've had some bamboo quad fins crack at the base too.
Will email gary and get a price on a PU RTT (couldn't afford the flax one)
How does the flax go in comparison to PU ?
Cheers for the tips man!
Can only compare the flax to my other boards but I honestly don't think there is any difference in performance . Has nice flex and its tough as nails.
I think the flax is vacuum bagged but I could be wrong.
You think it's hard choosing a twin is wait till you start looking at midlengths. So many options.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

Like the prices

1,000.00 - 1,495.00

Oct 2, 2019
Nice looking boards
So much more than a C.I. unit ;-)
Yeah I don't think i'd really bother buying a C.I. brand new, I scored a pod mod basically brand new for $450 AUD in that epoxy spinetech, was pretty nice as a twin +1 when the waves were but garbage when it was choppy and i creased it after less than 6 months, not a fan of sh!t epoxy to be honest.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I have a 5'4" Dead Kooks fish that I'm quite fond of. Pretty sure he makes them without the extravagant paint jobs too if that's not your thing.