Best Travel Bag?

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
What's the latest on travel bags for 2-3 short boards up to 6'4? Anyone find something they really like that has prevented probably damage recently? I typically pack 3 boards in a 4-board coffin with tons of bubble wrap and that usually does the trick. Next trip coming up I may only need to take 2 boards and I don't have a good bag for just 2 boards. Looking for recommendations!

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I love this bag. took 4 boards with no issue and 2-3 would allow room for extra padding and clothes

Others here have had issues with pro lites durability. Never been an issue for me. Bonus it is a surfer owned US based company.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
+1 on Prolite. I've taken 2 boards on several trips with the Rhino travel bag without any issues. I get foam pipe insulation from Home Depot and tape them around the rails, cheap and easy and works well.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
+1 on Prolite. I've taken 2 boards on several trips with the Rhino travel bag without any issues. I get foam pipe insulation from Home Depot and tape them around the rails, cheap and easy and works well.

+1 minus foam or bubble wrap I go sock and then day bag on each board never had issues plus you got a day bag to use for travel once you arrive.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I use foam pipe insulation on rails and have a few tips for that method.
1.Do not use the insulation that comes with adhesive, it will leave back residue on boards
2.Use painters masking tape to attach to rails
3. Make sure to pack a roll of tape for the way home. (depends on locations isolation)

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Foam insulation panels work really good. I have a pro lite smuggler and no way can I get 3 boards in and protect them. I wrap boards in the foam panels and no worries except for when Delta picked up my bag with a forklift and trashed it.

Reactions: parkiteric

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
I just got this bag (https://prolite.com/collections/surfboard-travel-bags/products/pro-lite-smuggler-surfboard-travel-bag) thinking I may only take two boards for this trip, and a lighter smaller bag will be less likely to get slammed around. That said, I don't think there is enough width in the bag to get foam pipe insulation on the rails and then slide the boards in? If I were using my coffin bags, certainly. I'll have to get a piece and give it a try. Hoping Avianca doesn't like to treat my boards like Hawaiian Airlines does.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'd be curious if anyone has tried one of these sympl bags. Nice to have some flexibility depending on the trip.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
My midnight bag is still great 10 years later but it’s bulky as hell. My buddy found a bag that “hides” the third board. Anyone have luck with that bag?

Reactions: msh26

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I'd be curious if anyone has tried one of these sympl bags. Nice to have some flexibility depending on the trip.
This is what frustrates about surf companies. Brags about how lightweight it is . . . . And never lists the actual weight :foreheadslap: iirc the only company I've ever seen list the actual weight of their bags on their website consistently are creatures bags. Otherwise it does look like a cool bag, albeit on the pricy side.

I like bags with lots of internal storage, which is another aspect that surf companies do a crappy job of adding to their bags, or showing photos of it if/when they do.

My Pro Lite Finless had a rip on it after its first round trip. YMMV

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
This Brags about how lightweight it is . . . . And never lists the actual weight :foreheadslap: iirc the only company I've ever seen list the actual weight of their bags on their website consistently are creatures bags.
You can find weight on amazon a lot of times. When I was hunting for my travel bag I did this.
My big takeaway - board bags with wheels are not good for weight but it sucks not having them when lugging a board bag in the hot ass tropics.

Someone should make removable wheels you could stash in carry on.The wheeled bags add 5-10 lbs.

Reactions: grapedrink

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Have 2 bags from Pro-Lite, a smuggler and a coffin. Both excellent. I don't put any foam or anything on my boards :shrug:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
3 in the hybrid 7or 8’ smuggler no problem!

I got 4 in mine here and 3 in the smuggler. Both with foam on rails and towels and other padding.
You have to get the wider hybrid smuggler though.
24D5D8B1-347E-4A37-84F0-B3538B725833.jpeg