Best surf "hat"?

Jul 26, 2019
I'm getting old enough where i don't care what i look like, just don't want to get fried teaching my nephew how to surf.

So....what is the best surf "hat" out there? They all look kinda dorky but maybe one of you knows a better one. Wearing a hood just doesn't really work and is way too hot.

thanks!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
stu dog said:
have had this saved in my Amazon cart for a while
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCTGGP7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=AUONZ4OI4B4IK&psc=1
after this weekend being so hot, might have to buy it
I'd go with something like this as well.

You'll get guys on here who say you're a dutch bag if you wear a trucker hat out in the line-up. I give zero fvcks about that. It's more important to me to keep the sun off my face whilst not being the kook in the bucket hat :monkey:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Don't care what you look like is OK, but surely you have some dignity left? Put a trucker cap on if you must, but don't wear a surf hat, for the love that's holy, don't!

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
thaarealHB said:
I'm getting old enough where i don't care what i look like, just don't want to get fried teaching my nephew how to surf.
dont teach him, problem solved

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
jkb said:
stu dog said:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCTGGP7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=AUONZ4OI4B4IK&psc=1

You'll get guys on here who say you're a dutch bag if you wear a trucker hat out in the line-up. I give zero fvcks about that. It's more important to me to keep the sun off my face whilst not being the kook in the bucket hat :monkey:

A hat with a drawstring or strap might work a wee bit better than one without.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
_____ said:
jkb said:
stu dog said:

A hat with a drawstring or strap might work a wee bit better than one without.
the Dakine one does have a chin strap draw string. just not as thick as say the FCS surf hat. Was looking at the trucker one as it more of a hat type of hat which is normal for me to wear

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
This is my favorite hat for when my jimmy goes surfing.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Just go bucket hat and be done with it. I proudly wear my FCS one. IDGAF what people think. I dont have to watch myself when I surf, just the wave, so it doesn't bother me. After all the "bros" see your first wave and that you can actually surf, the premeditated kook hassling ceases.
It always blows my mind how many people care what strangers think of them.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA