Best Sunblock 2021

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I hate when tinted sunscreen tints my board.

Shows up on the rails where I grab to duck dive and on the nose where I grab it to stabilize going over the top of a wave instead of under.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Been using this for the past year, probs cheaper make yourself but who's worried about that, well worth the price for the results.

"The OG" SurfDurt Sunscreen in Neutral Tan. SPF 30.
1 review
$24.99
All Natural, Reef-Safe, Zinc Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum Protection SPF 30. Bamboo Reusable Container lined with an aluminum interior lining.
Features:
  • High-Performance Premium Protection
  • UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum
  • 80 Minute Water Resistance
  • Cruelty-Free
  • Made in California, USA
Ingredients*:
Non-Nano Zinc Oxide, Cocoa Butter*, Coconut Oil*, Jojoba Oil*, Avocado Oil, Beeswax, Beeswax Derivative, Mango Butter, Vitamin E, Iron Oxide Pigment
*All Ingredients Certified Organic
Weight: 56.7 g/2 oz

durt.png

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I use this one. It's expensive, but I can't be out in the sun without my sun visor and cream. White pride comes at a cost :(

1622147329684.png

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
In full disclosure, I have been helping this local San Diego start up with some marketing but this is not an ad for them, just my honest opinion. That said, I have tried just about everything on the market and finally found that this stuff does not burn my eyes in the water, doesn't cause my skin to break out, even at 50 that sh!t still happens. I was loyal to Sun Bum locally, or Headhunter for the tropics, this is better than both for me. It goes on clear, no white face, if you get the lightly tinted version it rubs in well. They have some heavy Hawaiians as ambassadors that swear by this stuff from what I have heard from them, I have yet to wear it in the tropics, just here in San Diego. Not sure how it compares by price to others.

https://amavara.com
I've tried this stuff. It burned the sh!t out of my eyes.

My wife loves it though and still uses it all the time.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017

i use this because it's cheap and quick but opting for the cheap and quick option hasn't always led to my best life decisions

Reactions: Naja

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
I've tried this stuff. It burned the sh!t out of my eyes.

My wife loves it though and still uses it all the time.
Thanks for that feedback. I have not had any complaints yet about it burning eyes, that was the biggest selling point for me personally. I'll let the founders know!

Reactions: jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I hate when tinted sunscreen tints my board.

Shows up on the rails where I grab to duck dive and on the nose where I grab it to stabilize going over the top of a wave instead of under.
Both the white xtr boards I got from @Havoc have splotches of what I can only assume is the Vertra tint of Shane Dorian. Maybe he should just ask XTR for that color next time.
:LOL:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Just back from surf trip to Oaxaca, surfing mid day in Mexican sun. Shishedo stick on my face and Shade on my head (easier to apply to head/scalp). Both zinc/titanium dioxide based. Worked great, no burn.

Friends used Manda and really liked as well. Looked a little pasty white but they were stoked on it.

Don't mind spending a little extra coin for good sunscreen that stays on. Cheaper than skin cancer.

Get a pack of makeup removal wipes to take it off.

If I'm just local and not in the water all day the CVS brand clear zinc works pretty well.