Best strength training routine? Thoughts?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Amazed this thread is still going. For surfing there is no substitute for paddling a surfboard. I wish there was.
Paddling is for paddling. Paddling won't make your bottom turn stronger. Or prevent a back injury. Strength is one component of general physical fitness.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It's interesting to look at John John's surfing and try to guess whether or not weights help him. This is maybe the best example of squatting helping surfing:

Then I watch Dad Bod Dane and I'm not so sure.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It's interesting to look at John John's surfing and try to guess whether or not weights help him. This is maybe the best example of squatting helping surfing:

Then I watch Dad Bod Dane and I'm not so sure.
I thought it was Nathan doing the lifting. VM mentioned JJ's injuries as evidence of not training but I could be wrong.

I watch the stick men- Craig Anderson, Mikey February, Rob Machado (and Gerry Lopez back in the day) and wonder. My physique is ectomorph like theirs.

4-5 days forecast of decent surf so I'm not going to pushing the bar around for a while....

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I thought it was Nathan doing the lifting. VM mentioned JJ's injuries as evidence of not training but I could be wrong.

I watch the stick men- Craig Anderson, Mikey February, Rob Machado (and Gerry Lopez back in the day) and wonder. My physique is ectomorph like theirs.

4-5 days forecast of decent surf so I'm not going to pushing the bar around for a while....

Not sure what JJF was doing before his injury. What he did afterward reads like a typical advertisement for his surgeon and PT guru. I'm pretty skeptical of PT gurus:

I don't know if squatting would've helped him avoid the injury.

I love Machado's style also.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Not sure what JJF was doing before his injury. What he did afterward reads like a typical advertisement for his surgeon and PT guru. I'm pretty skeptical of PT gurus:

I don't know if squatting would've helped him avoid the injury.

I love Machado's style also.
I was thinking of starting a thread about the valgus position. My right (back) foot is permanently angled out. I discovered this skiing, sitting in the chair lift and looking how my right ski angled out. I'm pretty sure it's from my tube stance. Tuberiding, especially in the small waves we have locally, was my specialty.

After my back injury tube riding went out the window. The flexed position caused pain. But now My back is getting better however I found getting in a tight tuck is now hampered by the lack of mobility and reduced ROM in my knees and hips. I've been "stretching," just getting in that tube stance and holding it. Then getting in and out of it. That will trigger warning signals at first. It's what VM calls exercising in a "compromised position" but it seems the only way to get used to it. I'll do regular air squats and then "tube squats" and the stresses on the legs feel very different.

Here's C.A. in the the valgus position I'm referring to, which is the same as my frontside leg position ( or was)-

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 1.12.25 PM.png

His backside is extreme. Like an MCL tear waiting to happen...

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 12.53.14 PM.png

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
IDK if there’s anything wrong with that. The weight is mostly on the front foot and he has the mobility to do it. Better to practice slowly than stiff and cold after no warm up, but it should be fine after a warmup.