Best strength training routine? Thoughts?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
4:19 - watch the vicinity of the L5 at the bottom of the squat...not sure if it's anatomical or technique related but that exact movement his pelvis is doing at the very end of the squat before coming up is textbook for how to cause disc injury wear and tear (no pun intended) in the workplace...so imagine the disc pressure when it's loaded.

This is a simple matter of bone, disc, and flexion - muscle isn't gonna help. Like putting any joint in a really bad position.
It's called "butt wink" and it's harmless.
I would guess it's anatomical and makes sense some people could safely squat deeper than others based on this...this guy probably shouldn't be going that deep.
How much do you squat?

This honestly doesn't seem like it's for you, man.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
DANGER DANGER :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Vertebrae move and allow the spine as a whole to access its designed full range of motion.... it's what they are designed to do.

You can't see "the L5".... it's inside body.:roflmao:

Vicinity of L5 to what? L4 or S1?:roflmao:

Why "the L5" though. It's directly adjacent to L4 and S1 and within mere inches of :L2 and L3. You aren't concerned about them? Are you trying to kill someone.:roflmao:

Fun fact...at no point in that video did the spine change from flexion to extension....the only movement you see is the hips joint rotation. I would worry more about someone who couldn't get in that position than someone who could.

People who scream danger over things the body is designed to do are the worst people in the world.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I just checked out the Starting Strength squat video and WTF?

Whatever is going on in his lower back/pelvis at the bottom of the squat cannot be good for his discs.

So, to keep this surf related, behind the trainee, is that a miniature rastafarian colored surfboard hanging on the wall?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
If you stabilize the spine, the disc will be okay.

What messes it up is shearing.

You lift too heavy and for a moment the muscles around the spine can't control the spine and then there is trauma.

The lumber spine can go into flexion if the lifter has control over the spine.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
i joined Gymnastic bodies.com at the start of covid no gym open ... love it price yearly of basically 2 month gym membership , have not seen a chiropractor physio since and this was a regular occurrence , and have an insane respect for gymnasts now and paddling stronger mobility there and how the courses set your body for success is priceless , 55 years old

Reactions: scdad

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
DANGER DANGER :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Vertebrae move and allow the spine as a whole to access its designed full range of motion.... it's what they are designed to do.
The spine was not "designed" lol.

You really do sound like the idiots who think yoga and touching their toes is a great idea.

Actually more like the yoga instructors who promise to "fix" back pain with yoga lolz...because they say the same sort of sh!t.

You can't see "the L5".... it's inside body.:roflmao:

Vicinity of L5 to what? L4 or S1?:roflmao:

Why "the L5" though. It's directly adjacent to L4 and S1 and within mere inches of :L2 and L3. You aren't concerned about them? Are you trying to kill someone.:roflmao:
Sorry for using anatomical terms...and big words like "vicinity".

Fun fact...at no point in that video did the spine change from flexion to extension....
Did you actually watch the video at 4:19?

If you did you are either blind, don't know what flexion is, or refusing to acknowledge the obvious.

I just looked at the newest comments - a ton of people picked up on his spine going into flexion as well.

the only movement you see is the hips joint rotation.
Ummm, no.

Video @ 4:19...watch the bottom of the squat.

Hips don't flex anymore, iliac crest begins to angle posteriorly, and the lumbo-sacral region must respond with flexion at the bottom of the squat.

I would worry more about someone who couldn't get in that position than someone who could.
Which is what the yoga instructors say about touching your toes.

People who scream danger over things the body is designed to do are the worst people in the world.
Once again, the body is not "designed" to do anything.

If it were designed the designer would have been fvcking fired.

Now get to work on those toe touches.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The spine was not "designed" lol.

You really do sound like the idiots who think yoga and touching their toes is a great idea.

Actually more like the yoga instructors who promise to "fix" back pain with yoga lolz...because they say the same sort of sh!t.

Sorry for using anatomical terms...and big words like "vicinity".

Did you actually watch the video at 4:19?

If you did you are either blind, don't know what flexion is, or refusing to acknowledge the obvious.

I just looked at the newest comments - a ton of people picked up on his spine going into flexion as well.

Ummm, no.

Video @ 4:19...watch the bottom of the squat.

Hips don't flex anymore, iliac crest begins to angle posteriorly, and the lumbo-sacral region must respond with flexion at the bottom of the squat.

Which is what the yoga instructors say about touching your toes.

Once again, the body is not "designed" to do anything.

If it were designed the designer would have been fvcking fired.

Now get to work on those toe touches.
Poor caca. He doesn't know how to use the word vicinity so he has a meltdown instead.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's called "butt wink" and it's harmless.
I just googled "butt wink".

Apparently butt wink is the spine going into flexion due to pelvic tilt.

(VM says this isn't happening in the video and you and I say it is...so which of us is right?)

Apparently this is caused by pelvic tilt (this is what I was IDing as the iliac crest angling in a posterior direction)

And from the links and images that pop up when I google it, probably not a good thing, for reasons previously stated.

BTW, I have never seen so many internet experts than when I google anything related to strength training exercises with barbells.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why would the pelvis moving or rotating when squatting, bending, stooping be dangerous? Because you think so isn't an answer.
I already told you.

There is a sudden angling of the iliac crest in a posterior direction...this forces the lumbosacral region into flexion - exactly what is happening in the video at the bottom of the squat.

The spine is then under flexion while loaded with weight.

This is bad, this is not new info, it's very basic - vertebral disc injury 101.

This is probably fixed by shaving a few inches depth off the bottom of the squat - then no problem.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
That's you not knowing how the word vicinity is used.

Don't project your lack of anatomical education on me:

Your complete sentence. "watch the vicinity of the L5 at the bottom of the squat". This isn't a medical term, nor is it a description of anything anatomical.

Your google search is the icing on the cake. Bravo :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 2.07.52 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Your complete sentence. "watch the vicinity of the L5 at the bottom of the squat". This isn't a medical term, nor is it a description of anything anatomical.

Your google search is the icing on the cake. Bravo :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:View attachment 118658
What sort of hallucinogens are you using?

Here's another one for you

Or this material on neuro exams:

Nice quote:

"An immediate contraction of the lateral thoracic muscles should be seen when tested in the vicinity of the L5–L6 vertebral bodies."

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I already told you.

There is a sudden angling of the iliac crest in a posterior direction...this forces the lumbosacral region into flexion - exactly what is happening in the video at the bottom of the squat.

The spine is then under flexion while loaded with weight.

This is bad, this is not new info, it's very basic - vertebral disc injury 101.

This is probably fixed by shaving a few inches depth off the bottom of the squat - then no problem.
First, I disagree with your description. The lumbar spine is neutral in the position. The iliac crest isn't used in the squat lol nor is it even useful to talk about it. I'm guessing you have no idea how much flexion is even possible at L5-S1....but it's not worth talking about because there is absolutely no medical evidence...NOTHING that concludes that loading the spine in flexion is inherently dangerous.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What sort of hallucinogens are you using?

Here's another one for you

Or this material on neuro exams:

Nice quote:

"An immediate contraction of the lateral thoracic muscles should be seen when tested in the vicinity of the L5–L6 vertebral bodies."
Oh, so what you meant to say the vicinity of L5-L6...L6 being an extra bone that's not even a vertebrae...having one is a condition that's extremely rare in humans. Got it. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
First, I disagree with your description. The lumbar spine is neutral in the position.
No, it isn't.

It's obvious it swings into flexion.

PRCD sees this too.

The iliac crest isn't used in the squat lol nor is it even useful to talk about it.
I'm using the position of the iliac crest to describe the angle of the pelvis lol.

Never said it was being used in the squat lol.

But please, do try to make it seem like I did so.:rolleyes:

I'm guessing you have no idea how much flexion is even possible at L5-S1....but it's not worth talking about because there is absolutely no medical evidence...NOTHING that concludes that loading the spine in flexion is inherently dangerous.
Then by all means - go ahead and go around lifting sh!t off the floor with a bent back then.

Load that spine in flexion!

(It's not like we haven't measured disc pressures under load lol)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Oh, so what you meant to say the vicinity of L5-L6...L6 being an extra bone that's not even a vertebrae...having one is a condition that's extremely rare in humans. Got it. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I was showing you how to use the term vicinity in an anatomical sense. Nothing more. Since you weren't familiar with it.

BTW, the L6 isn't extremely rare. Just not the usual.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
No, it isn't.

It's obvious it swings into flexion.

PRCD sees this too.
I don't know what I'm seeing. I said I'm seeing butt wink.

(It's not like we haven't measured disc pressures under load lol)
They're not discs at all. They're LAFTs. They're designed to take a massive amount of force.
This is not proper lifting technique at all. You can't lift anything heavy on the balls of your feet like the guy trying to squat the box off the ground. Also his spine is in flexion when he starts or his hips have tilted posteriorly.

No one is making you do this man. This is not for you. Just accept it and cease the pestering.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't know what I'm seeing. I said I'm seeing butt wink.
Butt wink is flexion of the spine with the pelvis tilted posteriorly.

Here's @Autoprax's guy explaining it

He also shows an example of a more extreme version via a guy with undeveloped glutes - same thing just looks different.

They're not discs at all. They're LAFTs. They're designed to take a massive amount of force.
OK, so your website wants to call them that. That's fine.

"Massive" amount of force, sure. Under appropriate circumstances.

This is not proper lifting technique at all. You can't lift anything heavy on the balls of your feet like the guy trying to squat the box off the ground. Also his spine is in flexion when he starts or his hips have tilted posteriorly.
Right - my point was to show improper lifting technique.

No one is making you do this man. This is not for you. Just accept it and cease the pestering.
I'm already doing it.

But not flexing my spine as the guy in the starting strength video is doing.