Best strength training routine? Thoughts?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I just want to have strong joints and be protected from injury.

Who can teach me how to do this?

I just need someone to show me the exercises and watch my form for a few sessions I think.

Not interested in getting swole.
My interest only started after injury and my goal was initially similar to yours- injury prevention. But as you research you find all kind of other benefits (to strength training). My main goal is I want to keep surfing and even shortboarding for as long as possible (I'm 60).

I read "The Barbell Prescription," got the "Starting Strength" video, watched a ton of YouTube University videos (mostly Professor Rippetoe and Professor Thrall), started really light (like 45lb empty bar light) and have been adding weight so slowly that I never felt in danger. As far as form I have a 18 year old niece who has a trainer and she will review my videos and critique me (usually with a healthy dose of sarcasm) and you can video yourself and compare your form to your professor's videos. Or join a gym and get a coach.

I think there are a few on here for whom weightlifting is one of their primary past times, something they really enjoy. That's not me. But I can relate to their enthusiasm when I think of running. I enjoy running at the beach or in the hills. I can get pretty competitive. I don't like getting passed and consider running 6 miles kind of a joke. 13 is a good distance. And a marathon is totally doable. VM's 275 minimum is like a marathon. Anybody who trains can run a marathon. It takes effort though and an investment in time. I don't think anyone needs to be able to run a marathon, like I don't think anyone needs to lift 275. I'm sure we all know people who led a long productive life and never did either. But both activities- cardio and strength- are essential for good health. I had totally neglected the one.

However, if running or weightlifting interfere with surfing, for me it totally defeats the purpose. I post on a surfng forum and have never posted on a running forum. I realized lifting you get DOMS. So now I just program strength day a couple days before a period I am not planning to surf (nowadays I don't surf on weekends, don't have to anymore). Likewise when I was running the marathon I had to program long runs (20 miles +) so as not to interfere with surf. Once I surfed 3 hours on a day I had a 20 mile run planned. I ran in the afternoon thinking I was sufficiently rested. It was the only time I cramped up to the point I couldn't walk. Lesson learned.

Anyways, long winded. Sorry. Just buy a barbell Casa, that's all I wanted to say.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
My interest only started after injury and my goal was initially similar to yours- injury prevention. But as you research you find all kind of other benefits (to strength training). My main goal is I want to keep surfing and even shortboarding for as long as possible (I'm 60).

I read "The Barbell Prescription," got the "Starting Strength" video, watched a ton of YouTube University videos (mostly Professor Rippetoe and Professor Thrall), started really light (like 45lb empty bar light) and have been adding weight so slowly that I never felt in danger. As far as form I have a 18 year old niece who has a trainer and she will review my videos and critique me (usually with a healthy dose of sarcasm) and you can video yourself and compare your form to your professor's videos. Or join a gym and get a coach.

I think there are a few on here for whom weightlifting is one of their primary past times, something they really enjoy. That's not me. But I can relate to their enthusiasm when I think of running. I enjoy running at the beach or in the hills. I can get pretty competitive. I don't like getting passed and consider running 6 miles kind of a joke. 13 is a good distance. And a marathon is totally doable. VM's 275 minimum is like a marathon. Anybody who trains can run a marathon. It takes effort though and an investment in time. I don't think anyone needs to be able to run a marathon, like I don't think anyone needs to lift 275. I'm sure we all know people who led a long productive life and never did either. But both activities- cardio and strength- are essential for good health. I had totally neglected the one.

However, if running or weightlifting interfere with surfing, for me it totally defeats the purpose. I post on a urfng forum and have never posted on a running forum. I realized lifting you get DOMS. So now I just program strength day a couple days before a period I am not planning to surf (nowadays I don't surf on weekends, don't have to anymore). Likewise when I was running the marathon I had to program long runs (20 miles +) so as not to interfere with surf. Once I surfed 3 hours on a day I had an 20 mile run planned. I ran in the afternoon thinking I was sufficiently rested. It was the only time I cramped up to the point I couldn't walk. Lesson learned.

Anyways, long winded. Sorry. Just buy a barbell Casa, that's all I wanted to say.
For an average male 405 would be like the marathon. 275 Is like getting out of bed in the morning.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Did the barbell make you panic?

When you see a guy who can to a standing backflip you're looking at a guy who his going to need to invest much less time in their physical conditioning than you. All things equal they will carry more muscle mass and less adipose tissue than average Joe. I hate them.

Also...cardio isn't descriptive or indicative of anything. Are you talking about aerobic exercise, which aside from meeting the accepted general guidelines isn't very useful for surfers, or anaerobic training which is something anyone who wants to surf well should be doing......or maybe he just has a lot of sex?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I live a few blocks from the YMCA gym, should I get a personal training session for $25?

Just need to know what exercises I should do and proper form.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
“And for people saying listen to the doctors, I’m positive I know more about being healthy than 99% of doctors, but I wouldn’t trust me. But most of my covid info comes directly from doctor friends, many of them in disagreement with the official ‘science’.

“I had another of many friends have horrible reaction to the vaccine just today. She thought she was dying and fears her quality of life has changed in the past few days for good. My mom also is part of those underreported stats. Other friends have literally died from it. So anyone here shaming people who are affected or concerned does nothing but feed the ego.

“When you study and talk to health professionals that deal with actual health and find out about the immune system suppression from the vaccines one day, you’ll open your mind to it."

- Kelly Slater, Instagram, 10/23/21
"I know more about being healthy than 99% of doctors"

That is an interesting way to frame it.

Does he know more about infectious diseases than some one like Osterholm?

He is a liberal commie cuck now?