Best strength training routine? Thoughts?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't believe mobility is useless....I think most mobility exercises are useless. Right now I'm dealing with some tendonitis in my right shoulder because I'm still after years of experience a fucking moron and overdid it instead of following the advice I giver every single person I talk to about the importance of moderation and recovery. The only way my shoulder is going to get better is by mobility...The discomfort is when I bench press...the mobility I'm using to keep the joint mobile is the close grip bench press performed with a 3-1-3 tempo which increases the range of motion of the joint over the standard bench press, but does not push past a normal range of motion of the joint or fixate on the fantasy that a hyper mobile joint is a safer joint.
3-1-3 is simply doing the exercise more slowly. The speed of a movement can cause the nervous system to excite pain.

I think people who say they have limited joint mobility are wrong (absent some structural pathology that would be clear under imaging) and people who tell people they have limited mobility or imbalances are fucking assholes who should be killed. Everyone has pain, very few people have reduced mobility. No one needs their joints manipulated, twisted, pulled, pushed, or stretched beyond the range or motion or movement that they use in every day life.
Joint mobility is usually restricted by the nervous system. Mobility retrains the nervous system because you're using the limb(s) in a new way more slowly.

maxing out squat at 205 lolz
I doubt there's any real benefit to him doing this since he surfs so often.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
3-1-3 is simply doing the exercise more slowly. The speed of a movement can cause the nervous system to excite pain.

Joint mobility is usually restricted by the nervous system. Mobility retrains the nervous system because you're using the limb(s) in a new way more slowly.

I doubt there's any real benefit to him doing this since he surfs so often.
If the movement causes pain than it is too heavy. 3-1-3 is a way of applying stress to the environment without risking damage or increasing pain. As you continue on this rehab the number of repetitions go down and the weight does up. Then you do the tempo press maybe just twice a week and regular bench once with weight and reps as pain allows.

Mobility doesn't train the nervous system nor is mobility limited by the nervous system. Absent a rare failure in the joint that mechanically stops in from moving, your brain, specifically your amygdala reads inputs from your sympathetic nervous system and translates that to a danger signal which is manifested as pain. Rarely is there a chance of doing more damage by movement....but your brain sets off a five alarm fire from a benign neural input. If you look at rotator cuff injuries, it was well accepted that a full thickness tear to the rotator cuff soft tissue structure required surgery. Today many times the results from surgery and conservative treatment generally have similar results except with the conservative treatment having a shorter recovery period. Conservative treatment is becoming normal treatment to an injury that just a few years ago was guaranteed surgery. Part of what made surgery the best option was the feeling of pain and perception of mobility loss. "Doc my arm is killing me, I can't sleep and I can't use it". Now thankfully more and more doctors are advising patients that they aren't broken, what they are feeling is normal and things are going to get better. The mobility comes back like magic and physical therapy can begin.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If the movement causes pain than it is too heavy. 3-1-3 is a way of applying stress to the environment without risking damage or increasing pain. As you continue on this rehab the number of repetitions go down and the weight does up. Then you do the tempo press maybe just twice a week and regular bench once with weight and reps as pain allows.
Mobility doesn't train the nervous system nor is mobility limited by the nervous system. Absent a rare failure in the joint that mechanically stops in from moving, your brain, specifically your amygdala reads inputs from your sympathetic nervous system and translates that to a danger signal which is manifested as pain.
It's not just the inputs from your sympathetic nervous system - it's also the context of the movement that influences pain because you develop movement-related pain through associative learning. Novel movements like mobility exercises change the context.

Rarely is there a chance of doing more damage by movement....but your brain sets off a five alarm fire from a benign neural input. If you look at rotator cuff injuries, it was well accepted that a full thickness tear to the rotator cuff soft tissue structure required surgery. Today many times the results from surgery and conservative treatment generally have similar results except with the conservative treatment having a shorter recovery period. Conservative treatment is becoming normal treatment to an injury that just a few years ago was guaranteed surgery. Part of what made surgery the best option was the feeling of pain and perception of mobility loss. "Doc my arm is killing me, I can't sleep and I can't use it". Now thankfully more and more doctors are advising patients that they aren't broken, what they are feeling is normal and things are going to get better. The mobility comes back like magic and physical therapy can begin.
Yep/good.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If you're training to stay fit and to be able to surf......maybe stay away from the barbell. Just saying.
How about you expand on this statement with your own opinion and experiences instead of posting a link to someone elses? Just sayin.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
It's not just the inputs from your sympathetic nervous system - it's also the context of the movement that influences pain because you develop movement-related pain through associative learning. Novel movements like mobility exercises change the context.
There's a heck of a lot of people out there (most?) that have zero pathology or perhaps thought they felt a "pop" and complaining of pain and lack of mobility. That's your associative learning. How to you treat that? Novel movements as "the cure" reinforce the bad image they just learned and takes them further away from normal activity. I find it better to have them do what causes the danger signal but under conditions that give them a feeling of safety and allow the normal movement, increased blood flow and temperature to do it's magic. As the condition improves they are already doing the "normal" activity. This way you have removed the reprogramming that is going to have to take place if you were using novel movements as the cure as you will still have the danger signals that were not addressed.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm not invested enough in this topic to research it, however I don't think that prolonged periods of static asymmetry in a seated position and/or with bad posture are good for you. I think that a lot of pain can be traced back to poor posture and movement patterns.

Even if there's no consensus on what a proper seating posture is, I think we most would agree on what are improper posture and movement patterns.

Yes, agreed
There is nothing dangerous about sitting (or posture). People who tend to sit for long periods of time generally aren't strength training or meeting the AMA minimum exercise and activity guidelines. If you are otherwise healthy and active you can sit as long as you like danger free.

Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There's a heck of a lot of people out there (most?) that have zero pathology or perhaps thought they felt a "pop" and complaining of pain and lack of mobility. That's your associative learning. How to you treat that? Novel movements as "the cure" reinforce the bad image they just learned and takes them further away from normal activity.
That is actually a really good point. Damn you, VM. :)

I find it better to have them do what causes the danger signal but under conditions that give them a feeling of safety and allow the normal movement, increased blood flow and temperature to do it's magic. As the condition improves they are already doing the "normal" activity. This way you have removed the reprogramming that is going to have to take place if you were using novel movements as the cure as you will still have the danger signals that were not addressed.
Below the threshold of the motor neuron that the brain concludes is dangerous + "feeling of safety" (positive context). Perfect.
Great post.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
There is nothing dangerous about sitting (or posture). People who tend to sit for long periods of time generally aren't strength training or meeting the AMA minimum exercise and activity guidelines. If you are otherwise healthy and active you can sit as long as you like danger free.
You don't think that there are potential consequences from prolonged periods of poor and/or uneven posture? At least in terms of chronic pain of varying degrees?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You don't think that there are potential consequences from prolonged periods of poor and/or uneven posture? At least in terms of chronic pain of varying degrees?
None. I guess I would ask you why you think prolonged periods of sitting or slouching would have lasting physical consequences if the person was otherwise healthy and active.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What is your occupation in health/fitness?

Are you some sort of "personal trainer" (I use that term loosely as anyone can be a personal trainer)
When I hear personal trainer I think High School drop out working at Golds because he has a nice physique. I was part owner of a pretty high level training and rehab facility until COVID. I was on the strength and conditioning side along with another strength coach that had been in the business for over 30 years but much of my focus was on the business side of things. The other two owners were physicians...one a DPT the other a General Physician. We started with college athletes, mainly baseball players but wound up with as many collegiate and professional golfers as anything else. Rehab, strength and conditioning was our focus. We left the sport specific stuff to the professionals in that realm.

Today I train people at a small commercial space...a glorified closet near my house with the goal of opening up a training center in the Calabasas -Westlake Village area with a couple golf pros I work with...everyday name kind of guys. The problem is that currently commercial real estate owners aren't very excited about renting their space when there's so much economic welfare around. if you do find a willing building owner they want 12 months rent up front. Then there's insurance during a pandemic...impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink