Best strength training routine? Thoughts?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Upper body strength, joint stability including the shoulder. Increased bone density and thickening of tendons and ligaments, which for surfers is important due to the high degree of repetitive motion injury complaints in the shoulder.
The bench press isolates the chest and shoulders.

It's not a rotator cuff strengthening exercise.

I've seen this firsthand - elite level swimmers pretty common knowledge to stay the fook away from the bench press.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I've seen this firsthand - elite level swimmers pretty common knowledge to stay the fook away from the bench press.
Seems like you're afraid to get started, like you're afraid to get injured.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seems like you're afraid to get started, like you're afraid to get injured.
lol

I think before I do something.

Bench press is probably the least functional lift unless you're involved in an activity that requires pushing heavy sh!t around all day.

Since I spend many hours paddling (which pulls the shoulders forward) and the bench press is notorious for pulling the shoulders forward... logic tells me doubling the amount of pull forward is probably a bad idea.

Not such a bad idea for guys who don't surf all that much though.

Every other exercise VM listed entails functional strength.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
lol

Bench press is probably the least functional lift unless you're involved in an activity that requires pushing heavy sh!t around all day.

Since I spend many hours paddling (which pulls the shoulders forward) and the bench press is notorious for pulling the shoulders forward... logic tells me doubling the amount of pull forward is probably a bad idea.

u actually retract ur scapulae when doing this exercise. if ur worried, do ohp press instead. that one def'ly helps with paddling,

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

You need to take an anatomy class or you don't know what the bench press is. The bench press does not isolate the chest and shoulders. The bench press works all the musculature of the upper body including the arms and lats.... and also the hips and thighs.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
lol

If I could only do two lifts it would be the squat and the bench press. Both are the kings of compound movements.

Also there is nothing about the bench press that pulls the shoulders forward. This is nonsense.

Reactions: CutnSnip and Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
u actually retract ur scapulae when doing this exercise. if ur worried, do ohp press instead. that one def'ly helps with paddling,
This is accurate in regards to everything I've heard - OHP is a must, along with squats and deadlifts.

You want to get slower and/or hurt your shoulders? Bench press.

You want to get swole and look good, or are generally pretty sedentary? Go ahead and bench press but train your rotator cuffs too.

• Dislike
Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
lol

Son,

I'm a swimmer, water polo player, and a surfer. There's nothing wrong with bench. Swimmers develop shoulder problems mostly from too many yards and poor stroke mechanics.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot and Havoc

Havoc

May 23, 2016
This is accurate in regards to everything I've heard - OHP is a must, along with squats and deadlifts.

You want to get slower and/or hurt your shoulders? Bench press.

You want to get swole and look good, or are generally pretty sedentary? Go ahead and bench press but train your rotator cuffs too.
read up on difference between hypertrophy and strength. related but not exactly the same.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You need to take an anatomy class or you don't know what the bench press is. The bench press does not isolate the chest and shoulders. The bench press works all the musculature of the upper body including the arms and lats.... and also the hips and thighs.
It probably trains your zygomaticus too.

The main area it's meant to train is the chest, however.

I actually have a strength training anatomy book right next to me

FDA7C5CF-2BC8-4EF9-B518-616E799869B4.jpeg18D650C6-47A9-4BF0-A9FB-3AA026668973.jpeg

I had forgotten about the burn in the triceps!

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Son,

I'm a swimmer, water polo player, and a surfer. There's nothing wrong with bench. Swimmers develop shoulder problems mostly from too many yards and poor stroke mechanics.
I would guess at this point you're probably not doing much swimming, surfing, or water poloing.

That's not an attack, I'm just saying I probably get a lot more water time than you.

Even Havoc doesn't surf that much these days.

I'm not looking to overtrain areas of my body that are already trained heavily.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

May 23, 2016
I would guess at this point you're probably not doing much swimming, surfing, or water poloing.

That's not an attack, I'm just saying I probably get a lot more water time than you.

Even Havoc doesn't surf that much these days.

I'm not looking to overtrain areas of my body that are already trained heavily.
stick with the squat, deadlift, and ohp. one of our coaches has shoulder issues and doesn't bench but set the national record for squat and deadlift.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
read up on difference between hypertrophy and strength. related but not exactly the same.
My sources are very reliable with this - trained Olympic swimmers.

I would think they're pretty dialed in.

Standard bench press is to be avoided.

You'll get a ton of functional gains, however, from squats.

This really makes a lot of sense too.