Best soft top?

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Too jaded to paddle out on sub par days most of the time. Looking for 7-8 footer to get wet with. Any suggestions?

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
I’ve got my eyes on an MR for pulling into close outs, shories and surfing in the flags around here. Felt one up and it was surprisingly alright, the rails were decent too.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Doyle... for sure.

I hope they start offering the FCS fin plugs on all their boards like they do on the speed sponge.

foamdust

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 6, 2002
Honolulu, Hawaii
They’re all basically all the same. I’d say the Costco Wavestorm would probably be the best deal. The Catchsurfs do have FCS type removable fins but cost much more. I’d recommend putting a bead of silicone sealant around the fin bases and under the head of the fin screws to prevent water leakage no matter which brand you get.

Reactions: fishtank

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
The INT definitely look to be of better quality. Thanks fellas, going to wait for black friday and see if there is some discounts happening.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
If you want it to last get an INT. If you want a cheap offshore alternative, get anything else.
I dont find that to be entirely true. There was a day when INT was the only one in the game and they acted like it. Ive had many INT's and yes they are good but I wouldn't put a brand like Catch Surf cheap and not built to last.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
I dont find that to be entirely true. There was a day when INT was the only one in the game and they acted like it. Ive had many INT's and yes they are good but I wouldn't put a brand like Catch Surf cheap and not built to last.
They use closed cell foam and actual future boxes, the boards are custom shaped too.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Maybe they've improved their durability, but I see plenty of INTs around with the tell tale horizontal cracking across the plastic bottom. My friends have 2-3 year old Wavestorms from Costco that are in better shape. I can't imagine why someone would pay $400+ for a new softie. Just buy a used midlength/log :shaka:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
They use closed cell foam and actual future boxes, the boards are custom shaped too.
Future Boxes and custom? - Its a freakin Foamy. You asked for some direction on them and Ive had and have BOTH INTs and Catch Surf so I can tell you from actual experience. We just refer to them as "Doyles" here in Laguna and seem to be on them often with our shore break and reef spots.