Best shoulder therapy exercises?

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
GromsDad said:
Post em up. Working hard to come back from shoulder and hip problems. Got the hip pretty much resolved but the shoulder is still nagging a little. Been working hard in the weight room 4-5 days a week for two months, dropped a few pounds and gotten much much stronger. Still feeling shoulder impingement going on.....now I think because of my work in the weight room pulling my shoulders forward. Think I just need to balance things out a bit. Looking for what works.

All the rotator cuff excercises I did about 10-12 years ago made my shoulders way worse

Been doing snatches and overhead squats the last 3 years and all problems are gone.

I'm no doctor, but my hypothesis is that you pump those muscles out of proportion when you isolate them, over head barbell excercises strengthen the shoulders with what they are meant for....stability:
https://youtu.be/9xQp2sldyts
"
"

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
GromsDad said:
I'm 49. Between hip and shoulder issues and the fear of ever hurting my back.....I wouldn't try to do the Snatch on a bet.
I wouldn't recommend them for anyone in their late 30's or later but the benefits of increased strength on joint pain is undeniable.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
SharkBoy said:
GromsDad said:
Post em up. Working hard to come back from shoulder and hip problems. Got the hip pretty much resolved but the shoulder is still nagging a little. Been working hard in the weight room 4-5 days a week for two months, dropped a few pounds and gotten much much stronger. Still feeling shoulder impingement going on.....now I think because of my work in the weight room pulling my shoulders forward. Think I just need to balance things out a bit. Looking for what works.

All the rotator cuff excercises I did about 10-12 years ago made my shoulders way worse

Been doing snatches and overhead squats the last 3 years and all problems are gone.

I'm no doctor, but my hypothesis is that you pump those muscles out of proportion when you isolate them, over head barbell excercises strengthen the shoulders with what they are meant for....stability:
"
"
You can't isolate muscles....which is why the imbalance garbage is just silly bullshit. You can be inefficient, which non compound movements are, and do things that are outright bad for soft tissues, like rotator cuff exercises which you've experienced.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
Coat Hanger said:
SharkBoy said:
GromsDad said:

"
"
You can't isolate muscles....which is why the imbalance garbage is just silly bullshit. You can be inefficient, which non compound movements are, and do things that are outright bad for soft tissues, like rotator cuff exercises which you've experienced.

makes sense, thanks.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
I built an outdoor pull up bar so I can do the static hang, its kind of painful actually after about 30 seconds but I feel like it is helping with the impingement in my right shoulder, I feel like my cortisone shot from May is wearing off so I have been doing some PT at home, yoga, acupuncture, and swimming, I'm also surfing every other day instead of daily like i usually do when i'm off for the summer.

I still suffer from a weird pain that shoots down both my elbows and into my fingers some times, its kind of random but surfing and carrying a longboard on these small days definitely triggers it. years ago my xray or mri i cant remember which showed that it was related to my spinal issues (stenosis). cool thing is my back doesn't hurt at all anymore as my wife made us get a temperpedic bed and I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees so theres that.. the worse part of shoulder issues is you lose so much paddling power, i missed, been pitched, or pulled back on some good waves over the last couple years,

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
the worse part of shoulder issues is you lose so much paddling power, i missed, been pitched, or pulled back on some good waves over the last couple years,
Yep. I can distance paddle at a moderate pace just fine. I'll take a longboard out and paddle a mile no problem. Sprint paddling on the other hand and digging hard to get into a wave that's throwing I've lost a step or two and am at the point where for me to ride a shortboard I need a wave that lets you in easy.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
soft tissue work

duh
Passive modalities are placebo at best. Generally they raise the persons threat response which keeps them hyper sensitive to benign nerve inputs. We have large groups of people that now sit around in pain because they haven't had their myofascil release yet, and that dependency is as bad as opiates if the goal is to get a person out of pain.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Passive modalities are placebo at best. Generally they raise the persons threat response which keeps them hyper sensitive to benign nerve inputs. We have large groups of people that now sit around in pain because they haven't had their myofascil release yet, and that dependency is as bad as opiates if the goal is to get a person out of pain.
I kinda see what you are saying but I can pretty much release trigger points as nessessary to control pain. Before I did soft tissue work, I had debilitating back pain for about 4 years. This was when I was lifting heavy. The soft tissue work allowed me to keep going, to keep lifting heavy for another 20 years.

On a side note, I think my soft tissue work allowed me to ignore the pain of an impinged nerve that eventually led to permanent nerve damage.

Whenever I hear the experts say, "don't get surgery," I think, I oh, I took their advice when I should have gotten the nerve decompressed with surgery.

But you win some and you lose some

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Some back surgeries have generally great results, like cervical spinal fusions. Some have less than 33% success rates, like lumbar spine surgery to decompress nerves.

Back pain is a motherfooker and I've been there/ felt like there were knives in the front of my thigh, behind my kneecap and in my calf. After 4 months I was scheduled for surgery and if it wasn't for breaking my collarbone and needing immediate surgery for that I would have had it. Fortunately the surgeon that did my collarbone was familiar with strength training and its benefits for back pain and turned me on to a new world and I've never been better. I still have back pain but I ignore it with the knowledge that it's truly nothing and that there's people with spines in much worse shape than mine that aren't in any pain at all. The words that stuck with me were...."give it a try, would you rather have a bad back and be weak or a bad back and be strong".

The only cure is to be upon and moving.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Some back surgeries have generally great results, like cervical spinal fusions. Some have less than 33% success rates, like lumbar spine surgery to decompress nerves.

Back pain is a ************ and I've been there/ felt like there were knives in the front of my thigh, behind my kneecap and in my calf. After 4 months I was scheduled for surgery and if it wasn't for breaking my collarbone and needing immediate surgery for that I would have had it. Fortunately the surgeon that did my collarbone was familiar with strength training and its benefits for back pain and turned me on to a new world and I've never been better. I still have back pain but I ignore it with the knowledge that it's truly nothing and that there's people with spines in much worse shape than mine that aren't in any pain at all. The words that stuck with me were...."give it a try, would you rather have a bad back and be weak or a bad back and be strong".

The only cure is to be upon and moving.

yeah, tweaked my back yesterday and still hit a PR deadlifting and squatting today. the worst thing to do is to "take it easy"

Havoc

May 23, 2016
overhead movement that require stabilization. overhead kb carry, military press correctly done. face pulls for rotator cuff activation.

i think some of the pt isolation stuff can be helpful if used with overhead exercises

i have shoulder issues but back squats (bar angle basically fixes posture) and military presses along with some pulling exercises and extended hangs has them feeling strong.

Havoc

May 23, 2016
After a year on this journey to get back to surfing pain free I realize that posture is a huge part of what caused all of this. That video also brings to mind a couple of years of bad problems I had in my mid 30s with pinched nerves in my neck that would flare up after a long session. A flare up would leave me in agony for a few days and up to two weeks of pain and muscle cramps in the muscles leading to my left shoulder and the muscles between my spine and left shoulder blade.

After 6 months of worsening shoulder pain to the point that it was becoming unbearable and to the point where I was convinced that I was going to need surgery I found a couple of stretching exercises that began the slow healing process. Realizing more and more as I work on getting better and now getting stronger that the real issue was rounded over shoulders and posture from sitting at a desk and driving a car. I find it very interesting that that video specifically mentioned getting your car seat upright with the steering wheel close. Being 6'1 I've always driven with the seat tilted back which forces me to tilt my heat forward and makes me reach for the wheel. Never thought of that but I'm going to try and correct it starting today.

ironically that seat tilted back is good for your back but bad for ur shoulders. most steering sheels cant extend back far enough to allow for a big hip angle with reclined seat. cars are the most ergonimically unfrenly pieces of shat out there. good ergonomic chair is a huge one. mine allows for seat pan tilt forward to open up the hip angle.