Best Semi-Cheater HP Boar

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Sakal scout
Dk dialer
Zen slingshot (best paddler ever, truly a cheater)

love the rnf 96 but all of the above paddle much better

Reactions: trifish
Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
I think the CI NB2 fits this category. I love mine. It grovels extremely well, can handle up to about head high, and is very forgiving to incorrect foot placement. Itll hold well if you sink the rail, but is super loose and skatey when you want it to be. I think if I could only have 1 board for NCSD it would be NB2...

Reactions: ChaseTMP

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
recent faves:
Gremlin
Mandala Superchunk (as short and light as you can go)
Plasmic
GMM2 (your old one. LOL)

I regrettably let a craigslist superchunk slip though my fingers, felt like a little too much overlap with my ASQ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Cheers on the feedback casa moogsies but Driver 2.0 is "cheater"?

I mean it was easier and paddled better than the Pier Pony? I thought you said it didn't wake up until chest-shoulder and pretty shreddable?
It was by far the easiest HPSB to surf, paddle, and catch waves in chest high or bigger good surf.

That said, for me it was a very hard board to surf well; I didn't mesh with the rocker once up and riding.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
cheater high performance short boards are medium to low performance short boards.

Lots of non short boards getting recommended - I agree plasmic checks a lot of boxes but is a lot closer to a fish in plane shape and foil than a hpsb otherwise we are talking plasmid which is shitlength performance.

old man op makes me think he is asking for boars ridden at or just under his height.

stamps flare seems to check all boxes of what is asked.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why do you think that is?

You typically like higher entry / lower tail rocker boards, no?
Yes.

Maybe it had something to do with the staged rocker and outline and volume distribution. It was really flat in the middle. Felt long, very stable, a "lot of board" full feeling.

I was told there are different variations of the board that are produced based on region, no idea if that's true or not.

But I do know the original version had single to double, and all the ones I've seen in CA including mine have single. Except some of the very early models on the racks.

Last edited:
Reactions: j_mac and jkb