best place learn tuberiding?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This is coming from someone whose tuberiding skills are suspect :roflmao: but is a flawless tube really the best place to learn how to surf barrels well? Even I can occasionally point it and hold til exit but is that really skillful? What are you really learning? I'm thinking if you really want to learn to do this well, you'd want barrels that have warbles and random bowls/sections so you learn how to make adjustments in the barrel and get that exit, including those doggie door barrels.

I'd say most any relatively user-friendly well-shaped beachbreak with consistent non-dredging barrels would improve your skills at actually surfing in the barrel.
long beach has been good for my barrel riding for sure. It can pump here as you’ve all seen but it takes some work to get in and out, and get a claim worthy barrel

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm with Kento on the beachbreak. I wouldn't consider any of the points I've ever surfed to really be tubing waves, and the ones I see on video are usually jammed, or some frozen or far-away place you can't just plan on or it's a multi-week mission with savage airfare. Same with reef. I've only had a few times it wasn't busy and tubing.

Beach IMHO you just get more chances.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I got some good barrels at sandspit back in the day.
I bet that spot is a shitshow now.
Yup. I'm sure there's occasional short windows of 20 min of less crowd, but it's pretty overrun.
And, even if it's uncrowded on the cam, in the 25 minutes it takes to drive there and walk in 25 more people will paddle out :foreheadslap:

• Sad
Reactions: santacruzin

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
A barrelling predictable reef break that is uncrowded. Don't know where you are going to find that.
On the East Coast the obvious answer is the Outer Banks. Could take you just as long to figure out the intricacies of the Outer Banks as it takes you to learn tube riding.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
A barrelling predictable reef break that is uncrowded. Don't know where you are going to find that.
On the East Coast the obvious answer is the Outer Banks. Could take you just as long to figure out the intricacies of the Outer Banks as it takes you to learn tube riding.
or for the wind to go offshore.
i once spent an October on OBX which had a month long NE wind.
nowhere to hide... :violin:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Technique is what I'm talking about.
me thinks you're wrong, wave riding is wave riding regardless. the pool seems like a good place to perfect technique, not a good place to learn how to read the ocean