best place learn tuberiding?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is coming from someone whose tuberiding skills are suspect :roflmao: but is a flawless tube really the best place to learn how to surf barrels well? Even I can occasionally point it and hold til exit but is that really skillful? What are you really learning? I'm thinking if you really want to learn to do this well, you'd want barrels that have warbles and random bowls/sections so you learn how to make adjustments in the barrel and get that exit, including those doggie door barrels.

I'd say most any relatively user-friendly well-shaped beachbreak with consistent non-dredging barrels would improve your skills at actually surfing in the barrel.

I think the easiest way to learn how to operate in the tube is in point surf, it adds some degree of predictability to the set up.

Or any wave that has a consistent barreling section where the rider can prepare for a consistent opportunity that exists.

Meanwhile beachbreak tubes have lots of complexity - position/paddling/wind etc.

One is not like the other.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think the easiest way to learn how to operate in the tube is in point surf, it adds some degree of predictability to the set up.

Or any wave that has a consistent barreling section where the rider can prepare for a consistent opportunity that exists.

Meanwhile beachbreak tubes have lots of complexity - position/paddling/wind etc.

One is not like the other.
Absolutely different.

I agree with what you are saying in that regard. If you're just learning to get barreled, a consistent point break makes sense because you can repeat as necessary but to get really good at it, that's where dealing with the complexity comes in. Surfing that every day helps although I think the 300 good day/year debate is on another thread. The old Kentoland spot was pretty damn consistent (calling it good is a stretch) and would usually still throw even with a 20kt onshore wind. I did actually get quite good at eating sh!t in those types of barrels so that's at least something.

Some reefs are nice for the predictability... kind of. One spot I surfed in Bells area that I probably shouldn't name had such a perfect setup for getting very barreled. Soft, mushy takeoff that would all of a sudden jack and throw when it hit sections of the reef. One part of that learning curve was that being too deep on a couple was ruinous. :roflmao: That was a good trip actually. Substantial barrels on beaches, points, and reefs. Not crowded either.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
This is coming from someone whose tuberiding skills are suspect :roflmao: but is a flawless tube really the best place to learn how to surf barrels well? Even I can occasionally point it and hold til exit but is that really skillful? What are you really learning? I'm thinking if you really want to learn to do this well, you'd want barrels that have warbles and random bowls/sections so you learn how to make adjustments in the barrel and get that exit, including those doggie door barrels.

I'd say most any relatively user-friendly well-shaped beachbreak with consistent non-dredging barrels would improve your skills at actually surfing in the barrel.

to me it is the pumping and board placement that require skills - there are not too many
Tube riding is also known as a controlled stall. Even a kook can get briefly tubed.

yes it is about making it out - after the spit - sometime barrels get so perfect and easy - sometimes -
most times there needs to be that fine balance between the pump and the stall - not talking about these two second head dips that people think is a barrel - hahah -

if you made it - you probably weren't deep enough

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
At the end of the day we all know...Do you fcking want it or not?!? Shoulder hoppers need not apply b/c sh!t will be talked.

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Ask Fresno ripper about his experience in Nias - looks perfect until you paddle out and see it live -
Any wave that is a stand up barrel down the line over a reef is heavy
Pascuales tubes - HEAVY
Sounds like me at Lances right, saw a video of that place big and perfect. Yes I want to surf that.
Pull up and its big and perfect.
Then it from big to fucking huge while I was out.
Absolutely shitting my pants when the bigger sets rolled through, was such a mental battle to even go on the smaller ones.

I got fucking smoked so many times "looks so much easier on video" was repeated maybe 100 times that night

Some of those Nias waves look so heavy, and that lip looks thick too. Mutant looking things.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
You have a constant need to sh!t on other people.
That's generally a tell.
:roflmao:
Right.
That's why you keep explaining yourself.
says the male nurse, you have no knowledge of human psychology :shameonyou:

stick to what you know, changing diapers and cleaning bedpans :poop: