Best Hydrofoil for Surfing?

Jan 9, 2020
Looking to get my first hydrofoil just to pump on small waves and hopefully do some carves. With hopefully more face time, I would to see if it can improve my normal shortboard surfing, which I can pretty much only turn down the line and do mini carves.
Any recs on a hydrofoil for beginners? Would also like something cheaper. Came across this board but I am not sure if it is intended for what I want since it says kiteboarding reverse phone lookup nba reddit pcpartpicker

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Not sure why you posted a reverse phone lookup link....

pretty much anything in the Larger sizes that is cheap will be good for you. Not knowing your weight, I’d say look for a cheap used Gofoil Iwa with a plate adaptor. If you’re over 90kg, maybe a Maliko 200.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
FWIW, I'm not sure foiling is going to help you shred a shortboard more. It may teach you how to make wider arcs (cutbacks), but it won't improve tighter turning. Skateboarding bowls will probably help a lot more, especially with getting vertical.

As to getting a cheaper foil setup, post the deal on here and we'll chime in pretty quick whether it's the way to go.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
with those links on a first-time post, pretty sure this is a spam post to promote those sites ... Mod should delete them.