Best Fullsuit?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Cyber wearers—Are you guys wearing the Ultra Span or Super Flex suits? What are the differences? Super Flex look to have more smooth skin, but I wasn’t sure what other differences there might be. Also, is their size guide fairly accurate and how’s the fit? (Ie, hipster, skinny jeans style or more full figured in certain areas) It looks like my short, rotund body style would fit into the LS pretty well and they have a few in stock. Also, any feedback on 3/2 vs 2/2? Thanks in advance.
I would definitely go Super Flex. It's a Japanese rubber whereas the Ultra Span is a rubber made in Taiwan.

As far as smooth skin goes, I would honestly just do it chest and back. I don't think you'd benefit from it on the arms and legs unless you're going 4/3 or thicker.

Size is accurate height wise. I find that you can be a little heavier than their weight recommendation. So I'm 5'9 and 165 and fit their stock size Small perfectly, while they say the upper weight limit for that size is 155 lbs.

For So Cal, I think both the 3/2 and 2/2 are all you need. 3/2 with smooth skin and fuzzy liner got me through winter easily and the 2/2 (comp style with no liner or smooth skin) was really nice for spring, fall, and those hot days with cold water temps.

Couple of recommendations......don't get the zipperless velcro entry. It's a pain in the ass. Ask them to put a secondary neck gasket on. And if you have skinny wrists or ankles like me, ask them to pull the cuffs in slightly.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Fit is good, maybe actually a little larger than some of the big names (at least my experience comparing size Larges)

I have a 4/3 winter smoothy model so not much to offer on the super flex vs. ultra span. The suit is great. Flexy, comfy, stays very light in the water and drys quick. My only slight complaint - the neck is a little bulky. I have the front zip model. Mine also has the internal gasket that snaps/velcros in place. It does a great job at keeping water out, but sometimes it feels like overkill, especially if I'm using a hood with it.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Anyone try the need essentials wetsuit? might pull the trigger on one of these.
Ok - so i am about 30 surfs in with the new liquid seam suit 3/2 and it is amazing. I had one a few years back that fell apart after 7 months, but this one feels bombproof. Insanely warm and really well made. Best suit for its price by a long shot. Just to note, the seams make for a tight fit - it doesn't have a huge amount of stretch but is fine in the water.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
At this point, and having tried most brands and thicknesses [ 3/2, 4/3, 5/4,, 6/5 ] IMHO Rip Curl has the best suits and price ranges.

Got a 4/3 Dawn Patrol for $183, back zip, love it. Have the 5/4 Dawn Patrol which has 3 seasons and still is functioning well.

And Xcel is kinda wacked, get email alerts from them so I browse, a 3/2 on their site is more expensive then the 6/5, like hunh?

Reactions: sublime74

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Purchased a dry lock online from them during COVID peak that was too big. Was such a pain in the ass to get refunded by them. I think billabong just purchased them but even though they received my suit I waited over a month to try and get my refund but I had to back charge them through my credit card cause I got tired of waiting. I’d avoid online purchases from them until they get settled in.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Purchased a dry lock online from them during COVID peak that was too big. Was such a pain in the ass to get refunded by them. I think billabong just purchased them but even though they received my suit I waited over a month to try and get my refund but I had to back charge them through my credit card cause I got tired of waiting. I’d avoid online purchases from them until they get settled in.
I might be off on this but I thought it was the opposite - they were owned by billabong, now independent again?

Reactions: Aruka

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Ok - so i am about 30 surfs in with the new liquid seam suit 3/2 and it is amazing. I had one a few years back that fell apart after 7 months, but this one feels bombproof. Insanely warm and really well made. Best suit for its price by a long shot. Just to note, the seams make for a tight fit - it doesn't have a huge amount of stretch but is fine in the water.
Sweet, good to hear. I bought one 4-5 years ago when they first started being available in USA and it was leaky after a few sessions. I like the minimalist concept and all black/no logos, and the price, so I might have to give them another chance.

Reactions: Bman76

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Sweet, good to hear. I bought one 4-5 years ago when they first started being available in USA and it was leaky after a few sessions. I like the minimalist concept and all black/no logos, and the price, so I might have to give them another chance.
I was exactly the same. The one from a few years ago wasn't great, but a couple of guys i know were talking them up in the lineup and they are usually ripcurl or vissla dudes. I got one from their 'last chance' - so probably last years stock. Amazed. It is just as warm as my 4/3 xcel drylock, no freakin joke...

Reactions: tacos and Havoc

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I got the liquid seam 3/2 suit pretty much when they came out in March last year. On the 2nd season now and while it’s great value, it is still a low quality suit.

It is not very flexible compared to other suits, but it sure is warm... until the seams leak. And they leaked early and often. I thought the seams would stay waterproof longer but even with the liquid tape, GBS and internal neoprene tape it didn’t take long for a pool of water to form in the crotch area. Normally this takes place in Season 2 for me; not Season 1 for the suits $100 more. As such, i am not convinced the value proposition is actually there.

Also, Mine is made in China and the neoprene smells and looks different to Sheico suits (Taiwan). The neoprene doesn’t feel as high quality as some Mid to high range Sheico suits.

I did hear a rumour that they are being made by the Sheico guys this year... any truth to this? If so, they are probably much better.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I got the liquid seam 3/2 suit pretty much when they came out in March last year. On the 2nd season now and while it’s great value, it is still a low quality suit.

It is not very flexible compared to other suits, but it sure is warm... until the seams leak. And they leaked early and often. I thought the seams would stay waterproof longer but even with the liquid tape, GBS and internal neoprene tape it didn’t take long for a pool of water to form in the crotch area. Normally this takes place in Season 2 for me; not Season 1 for the suits $100 more. As such, i am not convinced the value proposition is actually there.

Also, Mine is made in China and the neoprene smells and looks different to Sheico suits (Taiwan). The neoprene doesn’t feel as high quality as some Mid to high range Sheico suits.

I did hear a rumour that they are being made by the Sheico guys this year... any truth to this? If so, they are probably much better.
I got a 6/5 liquid taped for Westcoast Canada. I was surprised to see it was made in China too. I found it really warm but really inflexible in the shoulders.

I just got a 4/3 premium one for Norcal and its noticeably better and way more flexible. It's also made in Thailand this time. Wonder why they shifted to China production for a season.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Interesting...

I think Need Essentials have been sourcing from China for years - I've had numerous wetsuits from them over the years and all have been made in China. Maybe they're now pivoting to Sheico in Taiwan?

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Per Rob at at Needs

"Yeah, we've always used Sheico, but tried another factory for the "fast dry" suits a couple of years ago. This was a factory called Sumnet in China. We've left them completely and all suits are coming from Sheico Thailand. Quality is much better. Prices are higher and terms are onerous, but oh well:)"

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Anyone have any experience with Glidz?
I got an old suit from a guy while my new billabong suit is having the seams repaired.

The glidz feels insane!

Reactions: Bman76