Best Fullsuit?

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Billabong had a 25% off sale on everything (i think it was a COVID sale) plus an additional 20% off your first order if you signed up for the newsletter. I scored a billabong revolution glide wetsuit (with the smooth skin) for $106.00 with free chipping! Not sure what year it is... but im anxious to try it out. Pretty cheap price for a new wetty...

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I've never owned an Xcel suit and read that they were sold recently. Their online inventory appears to be dwindling.

Before all this went down, I was this close to picking up the FA19 XCEL Infinity 2mil full for San Diego waters. That suit isn't available anymore. Seemed reasonable at $199, and a nice change of pace from my Vissla suits.

Why don't more companies make 2 mill fulls? I can't justify paying what Matuse and others are asking. I might as well go custom at that price.

Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
A 2 mill full is just so versatile. I can usually get into January with one in San Diego.

I've never cared for the look of them either. More of a short-sleeve full guy.

Probably just get another Vissla, unless whoever bought Xcel puts out more suits.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I have a matuse s/s full that I wore into the ground. A vest as well. Which reminds me to send them in while Matuse is being totally rad and repairing all old suits for free, Yeah Matuse! :shaka:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I rarely dawn patrol but in my experience March-April seem to be the coldest time due to wind patterns/upwelling.

Those months are the only time I've seen H20 temps hit 55/56 around here.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
A 2 mill full is just so versatile. I can usually get into January with one in San Diego.

I've never cared for the look of them either. More of a short-sleeve full guy.

Probably just get another Vissla, unless whoever bought Xcel puts out more suits.
don't think they'll be shutting down the business, if you read why boardriders sold it's because Xcel was such a tiny fraction compared to the clothing sales that it didn't make sense to keep it. The new owners are most likely looking to keep Xcel up and running, probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
RipCurl Heatseeker 4/3 is easily the warmest 4/3 I've had. Only 3 surfs in mine, so obviously zero idea about durability.

Went to my local surf shop to help them a bit after the long lockdown, and get a new winter wettie. This one wasn't even on the list, but just felt so good and not just like a pretend 4/3.

Fingers crossed it lasts a while

Last edited:

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
RipCurl Heatseeker 4/3 is easily the warmest 4/3 I've had. Only 3 surfs in mine, so obviously zero idea about how durability.

Went to my local surf shop to help them a bit after the long lockdown, and get a new winter wettie. This one wasn't even on the list, but just felt so good and not just like a pretend 4/3/.

Fingers crossed it lasts a while
Do they make a hooded version?

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I've never owned an Xcel suit and read that they were sold recently. Their online inventory appears to be dwindling.

Before all this went down, I was this close to picking up the FA19 XCEL Infinity 2mil full for San Diego waters. That suit isn't available anymore. Seemed reasonable at $199, and a nice change of pace from my Vissla suits.

Why don't more companies make 2 mill fulls? I can't justify paying what Matuse and others are asking. I might as well go custom at that price.
There are very few of us that would bother. This winter I unfortunatley had the world's WORST 2 mil full and a 3/2 (first one in well over ten years). the 3/2 was toasty...but useless aside from just a few mornings. the 2 mil would have been more than fine...but it was the world's sh!ttiest F()cking suit ever made since the dawn of rubber. Scored a new all 2 short arm full for next winter...rip curl....there is no way that (even if it sucks) it can suck as bad as that stupid F()cking xcel sucked.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
There are very few of us that would bother. This winter I unfortunatley had the world's WORST 2 mil full and a 3/2 (first one in well over ten years). the 3/2 was toasty...but useless aside from just a few mornings. the 2 mil would have been more than fine...but it was the world's sh!ttiest F()cking suit ever made since the dawn of rubber. Scored a new all 2 short arm full for next winter...rip curl....there is no way that (even if it sucks) it can suck as bad as that stupid F()cking xcel sucked.
How much did you pay for that 2mm Xcel?

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
thnk i spent around sale price 130?150? dont' remember. the rubber never tore but felt way too porous or something...retains jack for heat (and i'm used to 2 mils)....the seams weren't the best (i have REALLY low standards and they still were lame), the wrists were too F()CKing loose, not liek they bothered even putitng in that super cheap gasket wrist seal stuff which helps keep water out , the neck was a F&*(## joke and shoudl have been cut tighter, ankles sucked (none of that liquid gasket stuff either).

seems that their intro/slightly above intro level quality has dropped pathetically low. loved my old xcels. loved my old quicks. my new rip curl seems a billion times better and i dont even think its anywhere near their primo top of the line stuff

Reactions: jkb

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Do they make a hooded version?
Didn't know, so had to check. It seems like they do a 6/4 hooded. It's not on the Aus/NZ website, but on the US - albeit out of stock.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Cyber wearers—Are you guys wearing the Ultra Span or Super Flex suits? What are the differences? Super Flex look to have more smooth skin, but I wasn’t sure what other differences there might be. Also, is their size guide fairly accurate and how’s the fit? (Ie, hipster, skinny jeans style or more full figured in certain areas) It looks like my short, rotund body style would fit into the LS pretty well and they have a few in stock. Also, any feedback on 3/2 vs 2/2? Thanks in advance.