Best Fullsuit?

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Picked up.a 4/3 Needessentials yesterday. Got the premium fast drying thermal. Seems like a Matuse but warmer. I am between XXL and XLT. Went XLT. Fits like a glove. No water intrusion. Has quite a high neck.sal that will take some getting used to but works well. No flushing. Light and flexible. No complaints. Not bad for $200.
I picked one of these up back at the Del Mar
Boardroom show because it was like 40% off or something close. Finally used it several times over the past 2 weeks. Initially, it’s stiff as F to get into and out of. Almost like the stiffest of all Patagonia suit I had years ago.
However, I’ve been very warm each day I’ve used it; and comfortable. I’ve hung it on the hangair each time which has also opened up the shoulders a little and made it easier to put on/off. So, the inner lining on this one is def warmer in cold conditions, and also a bit stiffer than the one without. Imo

Aug 29, 2019
I think there should be 2 categories, <5/4, and 5/4 and up. I have yamamoto and non Yamamoto, in 5/4's and 6/5's. Custom and also OTR. The Yamamoto's are warm, as in I'm never cold in Canada, wind speed, water temp, air temp doesn't matter in the 6/5's(have both lined and unlined). I can get 2 hrs in the 5/4's before getting a bit chilled. The Yamamoto doesn't soak up water, like the petroleum neoprene/open cell, but at that thickness I can definitely feel the resistance, both paddling and at take off.

They hold up for years, I surf mostly, 75-100x/yr, and kite occasionally. Odd seam repair here and there, dry super fast. If I was in a thinner suit, ie, 4/3 and less I'd get only this. But am going to try more stretch, so a billabong and an oneill soon.

Custom generally is worth it to me, fits perfectly everywhere. And like mentioned the seems are good...but also I never put on a wet wetsuit...got a good rotation going. 7till8 will help out if possible, for the life of the suit too. Good deal.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What brand of Yamamoto rubber are you using for your 5/4s?

I think there should be 2 categories, <5/4, and 5/4 and up. I have yamamoto and non Yamamoto, in 5/4's and 6/5's. Custom and also OTR. The Yamamoto's are warm, as in I'm never cold in Canada, wind speed, water temp, air temp doesn't matter in the 6/5's(have both lined and unlined). I can get 2 hrs in the 5/4's before getting a bit chilled. The Yamamoto doesn't soak up water, like the petroleum neoprene/open cell, but at that thickness I can definitely feel the resistance, both paddling and at take off.

They hold up for years, I surf mostly, 75-100x/yr, and kite occasionally. Odd seam repair here and there, dry super fast. If I was in a thinner suit, ie, 4/3 and less I'd get only this. But am going to try more stretch, so a billabong and an oneill soon.

Custom generally is worth it to me, fits perfectly everywhere. And like mentioned the seems are good...but also I never put on a wet wetsuit...got a good rotation going. 7till8 will help out if possible, for the life of the suit too. Good deal.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Yamamoto is neoprene, not a wetsuit, and not all Yamamoto neoprenes are created equal.

For instance, Boz has used Yamamoto for decades, and some OTR big brand wetsuits are Yamamoto.

Plenty of shitty Yamamoto neoprenes and if the stitching on your suit is sh!t it doesn't matter anyways.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Well I've put about ten sessions on my $159 Infiniti. Super comfy suit but man they sure went to crap! It leaks worse than my oneil that's over a year old!!!! What a shame.

Even if I only get a season out of it no big deal cause it was cheap.
Xcel is complete sh!t

If you send urs back to the Irvine address and tell them it leaks all over you should receive a new less leaky suit that might or might not fit in a few days. :D

Reactions: retodd

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
infiniti is way better than the drylock I had for a bit.

Custom would probably be best for me but I'm not spending 500 on a suit only to have the dreaded crotch leak that makes the suit worthless.

I got a mutant this year now watch it's never gonna get cold lol

Reactions: Havoc

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I picked one of these up back at the Del Mar
Boardroom show because it was like 40% off or something close. Finally used it several times over the past 2 weeks. Initially, it’s stiff as F to get into and out of. Almost like the stiffest of all Patagonia suit I had years ago.
However, I’ve been very warm each day I’ve used it; and comfortable. I’ve hung it on the hangair each time which has also opened up the shoulders a little and made it easier to put on/off. So, the inner lining on this one is def warmer in cold conditions, and also a bit stiffer than the one without. Imo
You can definitely feel the inside liner makes the suit feel a little less flexible. Mostly when sitting on my board, but all in all plenty flexible. After getting out of the water, walking up the path back to my car I was overheating. It looks like on their "ultra premium" suits they may use a different material. The description calls it 4-way stretch or something. But they also tape those suits on the outside and inside making it less flexible.

Reactions: Havoc
Aug 29, 2019
What brand of Yamamoto rubber are you using for your 5/4s?
So the 7th wave is "MR7000" according to website. Really stretchy, but a 4/3 so less use up here. Not sure what "#" Yamamoto it is.

7till8's are #39, and a "Ti alpha"...I think this may be a type of #39 yama...feels similar.

New Isurus is #40 yama...really, really frigging nice...stretchy, warm. Older isurus' are aerodrome and #39, and a "ti alpha" I believe.

Casa, I agree seam tape is something that would be best to not have, but it also serves a purpose, other than just compensate for a weaker seam. Do you know of a brand that doesn't use it in a 6/5 or 6/4mm suit? I know feral doesn't use it on the upper half, but does on the lower.

Dang...I think I have developed a wetsuit fetish over the years...

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I take back what I said about RipCurl earlier. This is season two on my F-Bomb and its still very warm. Although the water temps are fairly warm so far. Will see how it goes Jan-March.

BajaBoojum

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 21, 2009
San Diego
... bought a XCEL comp 4/3 for $125 shipped last month. Yeah, it is new and all new suits feel pretty good. But I am really impressed with the lightness, flexibility and warmth (so far). Generally I am looking for my booties once it hits 58. I havent felt the need for them yet.

That being said, the overall feel of the suit is less quality than they used to be... Will probably be a single season suit.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I like the new cheap-ish Hurley suits. Super flexible. Not the most durable, but they're like $200.