Best Fullsuit?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No smoothie but I've never felt that to be a significant value add. If it's important to you though you'll want to head another direction.
No love my hyperfreak but I am in SB county Southern CA so not so cold love the stretch flexibility.

Sep 27, 2019
The big brands are garbage.

That's why so many people are now wearing 4/3s in 62 degree water....the 3/2s of today are a joke.

I had not worn one of the big brands for some years until this summer - tried on all the big brands. They are worse than ever in temrs of material and quality control. See my XCEL springsuit thread.

Cyber, hands down. Once you've worn one you'll see how much of a joke the big brands are.

3/2 with smoothie back and front is all you need for SD. No leaks - even my old suits that have bit the dust do not leak.

The 4/3 is so goddam warm. Was cooking in 52 degree temps on the Central Coast. Just be careful if you opt for the full smoothie arms and lower legs - the smoothie is very easy to tear with your fingernails or sharp rocks. I was warned to keep my fingernails trimmed and ended up with a bunch of little moonshaped cuts in the shoulder from pulling off the suit.
Just wondering what I should have to get through the winter...considering what you said my guess is a fullsuit 4/3 but maybe 3/2 is enough for HB?
Want to be warm but obviously flexibility is important too. .... Is "O'Neill" a decent brand to go for? I'm ready to invest so looking for the best option.
Thanks in advance

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Just wondering what I should have to get through the winter...considering what you said my guess is a fullsuit 4/3 but maybe 3/2 is enough for HB?
Want to be warm but obviously flexibility is important too. .... Is "O'Neill" a decent brand to go for? I'm ready to invest so looking for the best option.
Thanks in advance
Do you have a mustache?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think the big brands are probably as good today as they've ever been.

I haven't tried the boutique brands like Cyber (althought I did have a Matuse which sucked) which I'm sure are good as well, but a quality 3/2 from any of the big brands should get through a Huntington Beach winter. Fit is probably the best indicator of which to buy. Once you know what brands work for you, you can then look on the sale sites on the off season and get a suit for half price.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, 3/2 should be fine for SoCal winter. I like RipCurl Flashbomb but Vissla would be fine if you are on a budget. Maybe add some booties in Jan if you are cold.

Aug 29, 2019
Looking for warmest, most flexible cold winter suit, ie not a California winter suit, so 5.5mm+. Looking at O'neill psycho tech. Have 7till8, isurus, patagonia, however want to try more flexibility, and save a few dollars. Any other suggestions? Is the O'Neill the next best option? Thanks very much.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I have two Isurus suits that are 3 years old and are still good.

Bought a hooded 4/3 in june (for up north) at 35% off (last year’s model).

Plus, fook being cold and/or uncomfortable. I started surfing in 1980. I’ve had enough cold and uncomfortable suits.

Also, take care your suits. They’ll last.
I'm looking at Isurus. Best suit you ever owned?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm looking at Isurus. Best suit you ever owned?
I think if you look at the whole picture, yes. I’ve had suits that were more flexible but didn’t last very long.

Isurus suit are infinitely more flexible than the best suits of yesteryear but not as much as some on the market today.

They are warm, flexible and last. They don’t take on water either.

I do wish they’d go back to smooth skins on the 3/2 and 4/3 non-hooded.

I have old ones that have that and a 4/3 hooded that has it.

also they fit me well.

the new ones have titanium lining which supposedly acts similar to smooth skin for wind protection but I’m a little skeptical.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Patagonia suit I had was the weirdest cut I’ve ever had. At 6’1, the MT had a low cut neck, short sleeves and short legs.

fit just fine nuts to shoulders. Figured it was a hipster thing. Flushed like mad. Rarely wore it and really a waste of money.
The only people I know who say they like those suits are people who get them for free, either through sponsorship, employed by them or some sort bro deal.

Everyone I’ve talked to that paid for them hates them.

Reactions: Havoc
Oct 2, 2019
For $550 for a 4/3, I would want smoothie on the front as well as on the back. Does Isurus think we're never going to surf unless it's offshore? I don't get why they'd only put it on the back panel.
Because keeping your kidneys warm is really important for keeping the body warm, makes a massive difference

Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Not sure I will call it the "best" full suit, but as a Northern New England surfer, so good wetsuit quiver, I have found that the 5/4 hood Rip Curl Dawn Patrol is a great value: I think it was $269. For deep winter days I have an Xcel Drylock 6/5, hooded obviously, but can't say I love it; chin cup is way too small. I use the Dawn Patrol till it is just too cold.

Reactions: nowayout

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
^^^ Most important factor
Agree, fit is the most important factor.

As well as the seams.

You will never know how bad your suit fit until wearing a custom.

Even more so if you try an OTR suit after wearing a custom - nothing will seem to fit and you will instantly recognize the areas where the suit will wear prematurely or the seams will go.

I was talking to a guy in an Axxe about this today. He said he's tried to explain this to his friends but they just don't get it. Great fit, no leaks (ever), better quality neoprene. They'd rather spend $400+ for a crappy new suit every season.