Best Fullsuit?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
who's offended? You seem to have a thing for technobutter for some reason and there are others on here that like it and back it up. Most people I know (actually no one I know) repairs their own suits so it was as simple as what are you getting at because it didn't make sense.

I haven't used the oneil repair process since I started wearing them again but my buddy I surf with got a loaner suit the last time he took one in.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
In hollow waves you come into contact with your fins a little more often. At least I do.
I come in contact with fins quite a bit, don't get fin cuts very often at all. Score one for O'Neill I guess?

I generally average a cut a suit.
Probably because of all that smooth skin you insist on :LOL:

Edit: also, I believe the fabric that you didn't like is only used on the Hyperfreak suits. My Psycho 1 and Psycho Tech feel like normal suits. Either way, the neoprene is what's sandwiched between the inner and outer fabric of any suit. I'm sure your repair techniques would still work fine.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Call me crazy but I'm pretty happy with my O'Neil's. I'm especially happy with the new Hyperfreaks.

For the price of some of the fancy japanese suits you can get two O'neil hyperfreaks and rotate.

I easily get two to three seasons out of a suit and almost always have a dry one to put on.

This year I'm going to grab a 4/3, hooded 4/3 and the 5/4 all hyperfreaks. My local shop has a 20% off sale right now.

That means for $900 in rubber I'm covered for 2+ seasons and always have a few suits from the prior years for those 3 session days and friends that come through.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I come in contact with fins quite a bit, don't get fin cuts very often at all. Score one for O'Neill I guess?
In my case I think it's more score 1 for the Merrick template

Probably because of all that smooth skin you insist on :LOL:
Nah, not cutting the smooth skin.

But what do you have against being warm?

You will be warmer with smoothskin. It's a fact.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Nah, not cutting the smooth skin.

But what do you have against being warm?

You will be warmer with smoothskin. It's a fact.
For me, I'd prefer not to trade off suit durability for a little bit of warmth. I wore a Hyperfreak 3/2 for an entire winter a couple years ago. Was never too cold for sessions up to 2 hours or so, though I did add booties to the equation on the really cold days. :shrug:

That said, I did go with some smoothskin on my 4/3.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Rinse well, dry in shade. Should have no problem with smoothskin durability.
It is more susceptible to nicks and tears regardless of how you treat it. A fact, just like the one you pointed out that it's a bit warmer.

That's the tradeoff with smooth skin - warmth for durability.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
For the money, it's O'Neill Hyperfreak 4/3. You might have mornings where it's a bit cold, but this suit has a great temperature range and no other suit is as comfortable and stretchy.

Reactions: Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Mutant is a solid Oneill suit.

I just got a Technobutter long sleeved top. It's really nice.

Love my Cyber fullsuits.

Aug 23, 2016
No it isn’t.

I guarantee you that people who only get 1 season out of an Isurus suit are not properly taking care of it.
Right! Rinse it off, keep out of sun....pretty basic. Even then, I have had it balled up in the car for a while crusting out more than a few times...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I bet ongevity depends on how carefully to put it on and take it off. I'm super careful when new but after it's developed a few leaks I'm pretty careless.