Best Fullsuit?

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I agree, but the cost is getting ridiculous. If I were gonna get another Isurus I'd have to consider a full custom from AXXE. With that being said I won't spend over $300 for wetsuit anymore, seems like your lucky to get a season out of them, these days.

Reactions: Havoc
Mar 13, 2019
I've burned through Rip Curls and Quiksilvers in under a season. I had one Xcel and the seams popped within 6 months - fixed under warranty, but still. I was pretty happy w/ Billabong suits for the last few years until they changed their sizing, and now they don't fit me as well. They have a good balance between flex and warmth, and I liked their furnace lining. Now, I just picked up an O'neill Mutant for the winter and it's lighter and more flexi than the 'bong, but maybe not quite as warm. It's my first O'neill, so we'll see how it holds up. So far it's the most comfortable suit I've owned, though.

Jan 18, 2014
I've got a new billabong furnace comp, that I'm pretty happy with, seems like their making good suits again. I also have had a couple of Buells in rotation, really soft, warm, not built to last, but on sale it's a no brainer.

I just bought one of these too because of the price(close to half off sale). Very happy with the suit. Usually it's O'neill for me because of the fit+materials and this is pretty close. Will look into a winter suit from them. Only complaint... I don't know why knee pads need to be so thick?

Reactions: johnson7

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I agree, but the cost is getting ridiculous. If I were gonna get another Isurus I'd have to consider a full custom from AXXE. With that being said I won't spend over $300 for wetsuit anymore, seems like your lucky to get a season out of them, these days.
I have two Isurus suits that are 3 years old and are still good.

Bought a hooded 4/3 in june (for up north) at 35% off (last year’s model).

Plus, fuck being cold and/or uncomfortable. I started surfing in 1980. I’ve had enough cold and uncomfortable suits.

Also, take care your suits. They’ll last.

Jul 20, 2008
I see that the new O'neill Heat is made with Technobutter now. This looks like a nice suit for the price point. Has anyone tried one or checked it out?

Reactions: Havoc

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I have two Isurus suits that are 3 years old and are still good.

Bought a hooded 4/3 in june (for up north) at 35% off (last year’s model).

Plus, fook being cold and/or uncomfortable. I started surfing in 1980. I’ve had enough cold and uncomfortable suits.

Have you ever had problems with the zippers on your Isurus suits? The zipper would always get stuck for me and I would fight to get it zipped everytime. One morning I get all suited up about to paddle out and the zipper completely broke off on me. Ended up surfing that cold Nor Cal morning unzipped and was bitter when I got home so I never tried them again.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
What are you guys doing that your suits are shot in a season or less? Are you drying them in direct sun? Pissing in them repeatedly without flushing the suit out with seawater or rinsing when you get home?
i boil my suit after every session for 3-5 mins in a big pot

alljoking aside i baby the suit rinse hang etc out of sun away from heat. still toast in 1 season

Reactions: tacos

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Have you ever had problems with the zippers on your Isurus suits? The zipper would always get stuck for me and I would fight to get it zipped everytime. One morning I get all suited up about to paddle out and the zipper completely broke off on me. Ended up surfing that cold Nor Cal morning unzipped and was bitter when I got home so I never tried them again.
The zipper for the pocket on the leg of one them broke. They don’t use those anymore.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The big brands are garbage.

That's why so many people are now wearing 4/3s in 62 degree water....the 3/2s of today are a joke.

I had not worn one of the big brands for some years until this summer - tried on all the big brands. They are worse than ever in temrs of material and quality control. See my XCEL springsuit thread.

Cyber, hands down. Once you've worn one you'll see how much of a joke the big brands are.

3/2 with smoothie back and front is all you need for SD. No leaks - even my old suits that have bit the dust do not leak.

The 4/3 is so goddam warm. Was cooking in 52 degree temps on the Central Coast. Just be careful if you opt for the full smoothie arms and lower legs - the smoothie is very easy to tear with your fingernails or sharp rocks. I was warned to keep my fingernails trimmed and ended up with a bunch of little moonshaped cuts in the shoulder from pulling off the suit.
Sheico makes them all.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Cyber

Of course the caveat here is you have to take care of your stuff. That includes rinsing your suit (actually rinsing it) after you surf.

There is no suit that will last through no/weak rinsejobs, drying in the sun, etc.
I rinse my suit as soon as I get home every single time. My old Matuse 4/3/2 (really just a 3/2) lasted for 3-4 seasons. Sucks they dont seem to be around anymore.

My suits dont fall apart, they just stop being warm the next season.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I rinse my suit as soon as I get home every single time. My old Matuse 4/3/2 (really just a 3/2) lasted for 3-4 seasons. Sucks they dont seem to be around anymore.

My suits dont fall apart, they just stop being warm the next season.
Rinse them more thoroughly. Also, if you haven’t worn it for some time completely soak it in water a day or so before putting it on.

Your welcome.

Mar 13, 2019
What are you guys doing that your suits are shot in a season or less? Are you drying them in direct sun? Pissing in them repeatedly without flushing the suit out with seawater or rinsing when you get home?
I rinse after every session and hang in the shade. I have a bottom-of-the-line Quiksilver 3/2 that I've had for years, because I only get to use it for about 20 times a year, at best. My 4/3's get ~200 days a year at least. As surfysurfy said, they stop being warm. Also, not as flexi. Also they start letting in water. Also they develop thin spots in the shoulders and/or pits. Also the neck seal wears out. Also the seams start cracking or splitting. Other than that, they'd be great for another 5 seasons!

Last edited:
  • Love