Best Fullsuit?

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
The place I work at makes demineralised water - about 15 tons per hour. I might rig up a wetsuit care station (TM) and make some cash on the side...

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Yeah I’ve got the 3/2 chest zip. Had it for this winter (in Oz). It’s warm with decent seams, but it flushes lots through the neck and is fairly restrictive. For the money, though, it’s worth it in the absence of other similarly priced options. If the xcel is similarly priced, I’d go for that.

This is my 4th need essentials suit so I know what I’m getting. I’ve had a standard 3/2 steamer, spring suit and L/S vest as well.
thanks for sharing your experience!

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
You want durable, warm, plenty Soothie (but stiff as F)get the Isurus 4/3 hooded...peed every sesh (f not doin that!)and basic rinse it's literally like new after a year. Never cold all N Cal winter/actually hot usually-(wouldn't dream of summer surfing in this) *will not dry overnight
Tried zipless, Rip Curl Fbomb 4/3 dead winter SF OB, it was slightly colder than Isurus(flushed once, was very gnarly) but felt like I was trunking it paddling in comparison. I found out that was what was important to me...
Next move is Heatseaker 4/3 zipless detached hood. Just waiting to see if they are upgrading for 19/20, anybody know?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Any more reviews of Feral? I've only heard good things so far.

I'm surprised guys didn't like RC FB zipperless. I've never had any problem with it, and the 3/2 FB+ is so stretchy it's easier to get on/off than some chest-zips... but is SO much easier on your shoulders paddling (feels like you've got a 2mm top on). Got mine at a RC outlet in San Diego, so it was the previous season model. It's gone two SoCal winters now, and I expect it to get me through this Spring. Plenty warm with smoothie on the chest/back (but not shoulders where it can tear), with booties Jan-March. I picked up a barely used Matuse as my backup, but plan to get a new FlashBomb next year.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Tried my new 4/3 hooded hyperfreak today. I think the suit is actually 4.5/3.5 but it's super warm and very flexible.

The water cooled down a lot and there was a strong wind out of the east (it was warm) and I was never cold in a 2.5 hrs session.

Pretty solid suit for the money if you ask me. The hyperfreaks are so flexible and stretchy that my normal size (large) was too big and would flush so I've sized down to a medium in these suits and it feels fantastic.

Mar 13, 2019
Tried my new 4/3 hooded hyperfreak today. I think the suit is actually 4.5/3.5 but it's super warm and very flexible.

The water cooled down a lot and there was a strong wind out of the east (it was warm) and I was never cold in a 2.5 hrs session.

Pretty solid suit for the money if you ask me. The hyperfreaks are so flexible and stretchy that my normal size (large) was too big and would flush so I've sized down to a medium in these suits and it feels fantastic.
I tried a mid-range Hyperfreak a few years back. The fit and flex was great but it leaked like a member of the White House staff - except where they're trying to stop the flood of chilling effects, this was quite the opposite.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I got my brand new Isurus 2.2 Ziperless Shield stolen from my work while it was drying on the rear view mirror! I work at an office building in the middle of nowhere... who the hell steal a wet wetsuit in an industrial office area! WTF!!! So pissed...

So I am picking up a lightly used 3/2 Cyber tomorrow. We'll see how it hold up. Hope it last at least a few months before i need to throw on the 4mm Hyperflex i got in the closet. :mad:

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Any more reviews of Feral? I've only heard good things so far.

I'm surprised guys didn't like RC FB zipperless. I've never had any problem with it, and the 3/2 FB+ is so stretchy it's easier to get on/off than some chest-zips... but is SO much easier on your shoulders paddling (feels like you've got a 2mm top on). Got mine at a RC outlet in San Diego, so it was the previous season model. It's gone two SoCal winters now, and I expect it to get me through this Spring. Plenty warm with smoothie on the chest/back (but not shoulders where it can tear), with booties Jan-March. I picked up a barely used Matuse as my backup, but plan to get a new FlashBomb next year.
My Feral 4/3 is going to be on its third winter (I typically get 2-4 surfs in per week) and is holding up great so far. I picked it up after drinking their koolaid and all of a sudden feeling like my Rip Curl flashbulb from the year before absorbed way too much water. They were right and the Feral is great. It's really light, definitely absorbs less water than the Rip Curl, has great flex and fit. It is also shockingly thin compared to the Rip Curl. The lack of smooth skin doesn't seem to be an issue except on the coldest, windiest sessions, which is when the Rip Curl gets used.

I got their 3/2 last year, which they say is a 3.3/2.3. Interestingly, it looked thicker than the 4/3 from the year before when I compared the two and felt a little stiffer wet and dry. Still a great suit and lighter with more flex than the Xcel revolt it replaced. I just ordered Feral's new 3/2, which is supposed to have more flex than last year's. I'll post an update when it gets too cold to surf in my 2mm.

I rinse my suits with a hose after every session and let dry folded at the waist in the shade before moving it into the garage. When its too cold out, I'll put it in the bathroom with a small space heater.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
I got my brand new Isurus 2.2 Ziperless Shield stolen from my work while it was drying on the rear view mirror! I work at an office building in the middle of nowhere... who the hell steal a wet wetsuit in an industrial office area! WTF!!! So pissed...

So I am picking up a lightly used 3/2 Cyber tomorrow. We'll see how it hold up. Hope it last at least a few months before i need to throw on the 4mm Hyperflex i got in the closet. :mad:
Lesson learned, some people are scum. Not too long ago I was napping in the back of the van waiting for session 2, had a suit drying on the side mirror. Some little fucker getting a little too curious, had to yell at him to fuck off. Guard your sh!t, even if it’s “only for a minute”

Last edited:
Reactions: deforestcooper

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Does the hoody 4/3 hf have smoothie? I love my 3mm hf but wind blows right in while sitting but other wise great suit.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I just buy whatever last year's Xcel or Rip Curl I can find on sale

I have a Vissla 2/2 SS full that I like. I'd buy a 4/3

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Do you have any advice on how to not cop bricks? Sometimes I get these last year/sale suits and I'm stocked, other times, I get 50% off a $370 MSRP suit that's a brick.

Conditioner helps, but I want to start with a non-brick suit.

Reactions: Havoc

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Lesson learned, some people are scum. Not too long ago I was napping in the back of the van waiting for session 2, had a suit drying on the side mirror. Some little fucker getting a little too curious, had to yell at him to fook off. Guard your sh!t, even if it’s “only for a minute”
That’s the truth. Lesson learned. F@ck those little thief’s. Two worst things... liars and thief’s.

BajaBoojum

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 21, 2009
San Diego

Same here. Generally get a 1-2 year old Xcel on some random discount website for $190ish (3/2 Drylock). Never had a problem. They last 1-2 seasons for me. Used to use Whisky Militia, then Backcountry and Evo. Everytime they come in a sealed plastic bag and smell and feel like new.

In the last 10 years, I've bought about 5 short arm fulls and 5 fullsuits from Xcel. Bought one Isurus top which was great and still use after 5 summers. The only suit I hated was a Vissla short arm full. Felt like absolute junk in my opinion.

Reactions: Ifallalot