Best Fullsuit?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
For $550 for a 4/3, I would want smoothie on the front as well as on the back.
For $550 might as well get a custom Cyber with smoothie wherever you want it.

Does Isurus think we're never going to surf unless it's offshore? I don't get why they'd only put it on the back panel.
It's completely fvking stupid.

That said, most of the major brands aren't using smoothie at all until you go beyond a 4/3, so even stupider.

Reason is they want to sell you another wetsuit.:poop:

A 3/2 or 4/3 without smoothie is only half a suit. Putting smoothie on a suit increases the warmth factor tremendously.

When the water is 60-62 and the wind starts blowing they want you to be cold so you go out and buy a 4/3. Even though all you needed was a little smoothie to block the wind/absorb less water.

There's actually research that's been done on how much warmer you stay with smoothie. It's significant.

That's why kite surf wetsuits all have smoothie.

The whole thing is one big DUH, the surf wetsuit manufacturers know they are scamming you.

Reactions: HotHail

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What are you guys doing that your suits are shot in a season or less? Are you drying them in direct sun? Pissing in them repeatedly without flushing the suit out with seawater or rinsing when you get home?
The surf in NJ isn't consistent so you're getting less use.

I''m way over the top with rinsing, then do a taste test to make sure no salty taste.:rolleyes:

Ridiculous but true.

Then dry in the shade.

Have been doing this for years, the only brand that's lasted me more than a season is Cyber.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sheico makes them all.

Yeah, I know they make most of the big brands.

That said there's plenty of different neoprenes of varying quality out there.

It's so cool to say you wetsuit is Yamamoto but there's a bunch of different Yamamoto neoprenes of varying warmth/quality/flexibility/longevity.

For instance, Boz has always used Yamamoto. For decades. And not everyone has been too fond of Boz suits.

Then there's the type of stitch they use...some stitching takes longer than others and some stitching is much better than others.

The best stitch takes a long time, but does not leak and does not need tape.

etc.

So I'm sure the big brands have direct control over what they'll pay to have manufactured.

Reactions: Chocki

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Custom makes a huge difference in the longevity of the neoprene and stitching not to mention warmth. No more worn out shoulders etc.

Until you wear a custom suit it's hard to understand just how much better it is...Buying a big brand suit after that is absurd cause once you start trying them on you realize none of the suits really fit.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
RE: Isurus

I paid a pretty penny for their 2/2/2 shortsleeve full a few years back. $280. Fit was decent.

The suit was warm - really warm - I was impressed.

Problem was after about 20 sessions the neoprene on the ass basically wore out and water would basically pass through. So the suit pretty much became a damp jumpsuit. from my midsection down. Not warm anymore.

As stated before, I'm meticulous and over the top with rinsing in a bucket and drying in the shade.

I wrote Isurus about it telling them how great the suit was but that I was disappointed in the quality of the tushy.

They never wrote a response.

Reactions: johnson7

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
RE: Isurus

I paid a pretty penny for their 2/2/2 shortsleeve full a few years back. $280. Fit was decent.

The suit was warm - really warm - I was impressed.

Problem was after about 20 sessions the neoprene on the ass basically wore out and water would basically pass through. So the suit pretty much became a damp jumpsuit. from my midsection down. Not warm anymore.

As stated before, I'm meticulous and over the top with rinsing in a bucket and drying in the shade.

I wrote Isurus about it telling them how great the suit was but that I was disappointed in the quality of the tushy.

They never wrote a response.

u should surf more n sit less.

my ripcurl ebomb wore out in ass/crotch bc id leave it on during the ride back up to the car on the bike peddling like lance armstrong and chit

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Custom makes a huge difference in the longevity of the neoprene and stitching not to mention warmth. No more worn out shoulders etc.

Until you wear a custom suit it's hard to understand just how much better it is...Buying a big brand suit after that is absurd cause once you start trying them on you realize none of the suits really fit.
Where did you get your custom from, was it worth, and would you do it again? I've thought about the Axxe thing, but to be honest, I think I'll just keep getting a suit from Cleanline every black friday, and a Buell here or there when they go on sale.

I'm pretty good about rinsing and flushing them in a 5 gallon bucket after every surf, and folding them over a bench in the garage. Your completely right, if they don't fall apart, they don't keep you warm anymore. My Isurus suits started to flush so bad, that I finally just left them at the beach.

Mar 13, 2019
I found rip curl f bomb to be more flexy than oneill.
Not for me. Rip Curl has recently seemed a generation (or two) behind in materials, unless they caught up this year. Last year when I finally gave up on trying to find a Billabong suit that fit me well, I tried a bunch of different brands, including Rip Curl. Of all of them, Rip Curl seemed the heaviest, thickest, and stiffest to me. The new O'neill's were waaaay lighter and more flexible, IMO.

Has anyone here tried Nineplus? They look promising...

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
My last 2 suits (3x2 steamers) - my season is about 5 to 6 months before going to spring/top/boardies. I surf 2-3 times per week in winter.

Billabong furnace comp: lasted 1.5 seasons. Seams held ok apart from a waterfall in the crotch rendering it useless. Super warm before the waterfall.

Need “ultra premium” or something like that: not super stretchy but fine. Warm, but not like the billabong. Seams starting to go at the end of season 1. Probably worth the cheap price compared to the billabong if cash is tight.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Not for me. Rip Curl has recently seemed a generation (or two) behind in materials, unless they caught up this year. Last year when I finally gave up on trying to find a Billabong suit that fit me well, I tried a bunch of different brands, including Rip Curl. Of all of them, Rip Curl seemed the heaviest, thickest, and stiffest to me. The new O'neill's were waaaay lighter and more flexible, IMO.

I've worn nineplus on and off for years. Can't get them in Australia anymore, so i only order if the dealio is good. They need to be babied, because the whole thing is pretty much smooth skin. You won't feel the wind - at all. But they flush a little because they are a back zip. I get two seasons out of mine. They run smaller than other wetsuits -a bit like matuse. I do recommend them if you surf in windy areas.

Reactions: HotHail

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018

Thats funny. For years I was an oneill guy, mainly psycho 2, but a few years back flipped to Ripcurl.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Since I got burned buying that crappy Matuse 4/3 after everyone was raving about them here, it will a long time before I stray from my Xcel's again. There must not be any wind where you guys who liked the Matuse's surf.

5/4 and 4/3 Drylocks for real cold (30s-50s) and an assortment of Comps for warmer temps. I find the 3/2 Drylocks are overbuilt for what they are and aren't that good and would rather sacrifice a little warmth for some flexibility with the Comps. The ones with the TDC liners are pretty warm still. Just bought an all 2 mil Comp with a liner that is warmer than my old unlined 3/2 Comp but less flexible.

Reactions: BajaBoojum

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
xcels don't last long. If you even think about pissing in them the tape starts falling apart.

Body glove not worth the money even at cost.

Have a new rip curl 4/3 Im saving for when its actually cold.

Need to start a new thread "Best fullsuit for dumping beachbreak"

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Yeah, I know they make most of the big brands.

That said there's plenty of different neoprenes of varying quality out there.

It's so cool to say you wetsuit is Yamamoto but there's a bunch of different Yamamoto neoprenes of varying warmth/quality/flexibility/longevity.

For instance, Boz has always used Yamamoto. For decades. And not everyone has been too fond of Boz suits.

Then there's the type of stitch they use...some stitching takes longer than others and some stitching is much better than others.

The best stitch takes a long time, but does not leak and does not need tape.

etc.

So I'm sure the big brands have direct control over what they'll pay to have manufactured.
No argument here. I just thought it was interesting. Xcel works for me.