Best Fullsuit?

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Just wondering from Feral owners, how does the upper suit last without seam taping? Does it matter, are you getting leaks eventually? Or are they fine and even more flexible in the shoulders?

For the record, my Carapace/7till8 and Isurus suits seem to be both durable and work great, my go to suits in rotation at the moment. Can't go wrong if you have the money, unless they don't fit.

Thanks.
My Feral 4/3 will be on its third winter and hasn't leaked yet, but I'm in SoCal so it doesn't get too much use.

I picked up a Feral 3/2 last fall and it has up great. Oddly, it was thicker and stiffer than my 4/3 from the year before. Picked up a new 3/2 a few weeks ago (supposed to be stretchier) and have only used it a few times, but it has been great so far and definitely stretchier than last year's 3/2.

Haven't had a Carapace/7til8 so I can't give you a comp, but the Ferals have been better than my old rip curl flashbombs, Xcel revolt and infinities, and Oneill pyrotech (I don't think they make this anymore)

Reactions: urchined

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
@brycor564 I felt up the Vissla seven seas and north seas at the shop today. They felt super stretchy, soft and light.The north seas has the nice fuzzy insulation for that extra warmth. For the price I would really consider it if I was you. Check Evo.com for some deals. Also if you are a Surfline premium member you can get 25% off on Vissla. The code is on the surfline site.

If I didn't just buy a Billabong 5/4 for half off I wouldv'e bought the Vissla and plan to buy a 3/2 Vissla for next season.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I have a 4/3 Vissala North Seas that I recently used for a second session after wearing a brand new Xcel Drylock 4/3 for my first.

Vissala is actually a little heavier and less flexible but a bit warmer. Has more smooth skin and thicker fuzzy lining. Drylock is a bit more flexible, lighter and not as warm. Not a bad suit. Nice to have in the rotation this time of year.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
I feel the opposite about the weight and stretch between the Xcel and the Vissla and lets not mention price. But those can be compared in the store.
Xcel Drylock 4/3 $409
Vissla North seas 4/3 $315

And now Xcel released the Drylock X for $500

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I've been interested in trying the hooded Vissla 7 seas 4/3 50/50 suit. Looks like a good suit for the price. But the last time I tried on a Vissla suit, it did not fit in the shoulers/pits region at all. That was a few years ago though. One of their first runs of suits.

Reactions: nowayout

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think I paid about $200 each for the Vissla and the Drylock. Got the Vissla at one of the Huntington shops during a sale either Thanksgiving or Xmas and the Drylock from Leftlane sports over the summer when they had a sale.

Reactions: nowayout

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Last couple suits I've bought have been Vissla and it's hard to argue the price point vs.quality. I tried the NEED route 2-3 years ago and felt like I got what I paid for. A friend just picked up a full suit and I'll ask him an honest appraisal. I picked up a 1.5 mil Isurus jacket at the last Del Mar event and can feel the quality. I will have to order a custom Yamamoto suit sooner than later.

I think I paid about $200 each for the Vissla and the Drylock. Got the Vissla at one of the Huntington shops during a sale either Thanksgiving or Xmas and the Drylock from Leftlane sports over the summer when they had a sale.

Oct 8, 2019
i like my vissla high sea 3/2. It gets the job done for less money compare to my hurley wetsuits. (But i think hurley is still more flexible)

Aug 29, 2019
My Feral 4/3 will be on its third winter and hasn't leaked yet, but I'm in SoCal so it doesn't get too much use.

I picked up a Feral 3/2 last fall and it has up great. Oddly, it was thicker and stiffer than my 4/3 from the year before. Picked up a new 3/2 a few weeks ago (supposed to be stretchier) and have only used it a few times, but it has been great so far and definitely stretchier than last year's 3/2.

Haven't had a Carapace/7til8 so I can't give you a comp, but the Ferals have been better than my old rip curl flashbombs, Xcel revolt and infinities, and Oneill pyrotech (I don't think they make this anymore)
Thanks for this info. It sounds good, and the newer suits even better. I guess it's the #40 vs #39 Yamamoto. I'm looking at the 6/5/4 or 5/4/3 ...but mostly just want to try the most flexible suit I can get, that has sufficient warmth, as I tend to run cold. Cheers.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Does quicksilver suck?
I know a lot of people like them but I had a synchro that didn't fit quite right so I sold to my buddy for really cheap and it fell apart in a few months. Probably one full season on it total and it literally fell apart.

Got my infiniti today and it fits great. We'll see about longevity but for the price, it's worth it even if it lasts one season.

Reactions: nowayout and sd_101

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
57 degrees in Santa Cruz this AM - wore my 3/2 Cyber (no liner) - and despite surfing like complete sh!t I was comfortable.

Second season for that 3/2.

I've also droppped about 5 pounds so woulda been warmer with a little more fat, considering I don't have much anyway.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
57 degrees in Santa Cruz this AM - wore my 3/2 Cyber (no liner) - and despite surfing like complete sh!t I was comfortable.

Second season for that 3/2.

I've also droppped about 5 pounds so woulda been warmer with a little more fat, considering I don't have much anyway.
How long are you up this way?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How long are you up this way?
Until tomorrow.
Not enough time to get used to the booties!
Rather exhausted after yesterday trying to learn the ropes at the Lane - first time in any sort of real surf since August + sleep deprivation.
Gonna try for more zzzzs now... I'll manage to start taking a look around for some waves by late morning - lemme know if you're wanna surf.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Until tomorrow.
Not enough time to get used to the booties!
Rather exhausted after yesterday trying to learn the ropes at the Lane - first time in any sort of real surf since August + sleep deprivation.
Gonna try for more zzzzs now... I'll manage to start taking a look around for some waves by late morning - lemme know if you're wanna surf.
Looked pretty fun there yesterday evening. Size picked up a bit throughout the day. Looked a little jumbled up this morning and a bit smaller, however.

Wish I could meet up for a surf, but I have the kids the next couple of days.

Hope you find something worthwhile. :shaka: