Best Fullsuit?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
People **** away $150 or $200 bucks on the regular with nothing to show for it but a hangover.

Stay in a few Saturdays and put that money elsewhere.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I was talking to a guy in an Axxe about this today. He said he's tried to explain this to his friends but they just don't get it. Great fit, no leaks (ever), better quality neoprene. They'd rather spend $400+ for a crappy new suit every season.
I think people have a tough time spending $600 on a suit because it's a gamble. They can't be 100% certain that it won't leak or rash, which some people on here have experienced with Cyber (or any other suit in existence for that matter). Then they're out $600 instead of $200-300.

That being said, I'm very glad I took that gamble. When you consider a top of the line Oneill/Rip Curl/Whatever is $530, I'll gladly pay the extra $70 for the added quality in materials and construction a good Japanese suit provides. I also hate the idea of essentially buying a disposable suit (or two) every year, which is what a lot of the domestic brands offer nowadays. It's just wasteful, IMO.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That depends on how cold you get and how much you surf.

Personally I have a lot of time to surf and if there's no waves here I'm driving to someplace with waves, so I tend to surf more than most people.

I do a 3/2 with no liner/fleece whatever and I'm warm for the whole winter in SD. That means I can sit through a 45 minute lull and still be reasonably warm.

By the next winter that same suit is probably not going to be able to sit through a 45 minute lull without me eventually being chilled but in no way is the suit toast. By Jan I would be thinking about a new suit but could probably get through the winter if I had to.

If I ordered one with a liner I have no doubt I'd be plenty warm through 2 seasons.

An OTR 3/2 big brand suit would get me through a season but by March/April it would be leaky, worn, and I would be freezing my ass off wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy another 3/2.

Reactions: jkb and Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
can u get 3 solid seasons out of cyber? mist ppl can get new suit discount at 200 a year. so disposable every yr or bettervone ever 3
When I ordered my first Cyber I was living on the Central Coast, I didn't have kids, and I surfed a lot. I'm talking almost everyday with multiple sessions if it was good. I got 5 seasons out of a 4/3, but probably should have cut the cord at 4 seasons. I replaced it with a 3/2 which has already been through 2 seasons and I'm going into my 3rd with no hesitations. My 3/2 has a liner and smooth skin, btw.

So I think you can reasonably get 3 seasons out of a cyber.

If you like having multiple suits so that you're always stepping into a dry suit and you live in Southern California, I recommend getting a 3/2 with a liner, smoothskin (or both) for dawn patrol sessions and cold days and a 2/2 with no liner for afternoon sessions. I think this combo would last more than 3 seasons if you take good care of your suits.

Reactions: bird.LA and Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I just double checked and my 3/2 Cyber was $470 with a liner and smoothskin (it's been so long since I've ordered a new one, I couldn't remember ;))

My 2/2 was $420 with no liner or smoothskin.

My 4/3 was $570 with a liner and smoothskin.

These are all a stock size small because they fit me perfectly already. Not sure how customization changes the prices.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I bought a 4/3 High Seas Sat. Wore it Sunday morning.

Pretty stoked on it. It's soft. Really comfortable. Fits me better than other suits.

I was roasting. Water was 62. Before you dog me for wearing a 4/3 in low 60s water, the titanium rod in my tibia - gotta keep it warm. Once my leg is cold, my ankle, then knee, then hip all freeze up. And I'm done. The 3/2 Psycho Tech they said is as warm as a 4/3 - its not. Not for me anyway. Really thin around my legs. Even in 63- 64 degree water, I stiffened up. $255 for the High Seas. Even if it only lasts a year, I can justify $255 every year for a new suit.

Reactions: Havoc and trevorbc
Jul 20, 2008
I have a few questions about BZ vs. CZ. I've always had BZ's and have only had one CZ suit from Buell back in 2010. It was the hardest suit to get in and out of. I nearly had panic attacks either trying to attach the zipper across the chest putting it on or trying to get my arms out after a session. Put me off on CZ's after that. I know suits have gotten better since 2010 so what is everyone's consensus on CZ now especially from the middle aged group? I'm 48. I willing to give them another try because it seems like I'm reading more that they seal better, less flushing? Would this be a true statement? I don't buy suits often and pretty far from shops to go try different styles so your answers are appreciated.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
some zippers are already “attached” meaning you don’t have to connect them to close the zipper. O’Neill, Xcel are attached, had a rip curl a few years back that needed the ends to line up before zippering, definitely a PITA. The zipper on that suit ended up busting anyway. Definitely harder to get out of, but you become more efficient at this with practice. You can also go zipperless, provided you get a good fitting suit there shouldn’t be any issues.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I bought a 4/3 High Seas Sat. Wore it Sunday morning.

Pretty stoked on it. It's soft. Really comfortable. Fits me better than other suits.

I was roasting. Water was 62. Before you dog me for wearing a 4/3 in low 60s water, the titanium rod in my tibia - gotta keep it warm. Once my leg is cold, my ankle, then knee, then hip all freeze up. And I'm done. The 3/2 Psycho Tech they said is as warm as a 4/3 - its not. Not for me anyway. Really thin around my legs. Even in 63- 64 degree water, I stiffened up. $255 for the High Seas. Even if it only lasts a year, I can justify $255 every year for a new suit.
Have you tried putting another layer of rubber just around that one leg?

Reactions: gbg

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I just double checked and my 3/2 Cyber was $470 with a liner and smoothskin (it's been so long since I've ordered a new one, I couldn't remember ;))

My 2/2 was $420 with no liner or smoothskin.

My 4/3 was $570 with a liner and smoothskin.

These are all a stock size small because they fit me perfectly already. Not sure how customization changes the prices.
DANGG!! Thats actually a really good price. Im still super bummed about having my new isurus stolen... but the used Cyber I got it pretty insane! The legs are super strechy and the suit is really warm! The chick that sold it to me said it was a 3/2 but I definitly think its a 4/3. Its been howling offshore so it actually worked out perfect. Only downsize it that 2 of the seams in the shoulder have a small rip so i have to get that fixed. But it seems minor. A little needle and thread and some glue and i think it will be good to go until I can find a replacement.

I was looking at Isurus again, but if a brand new Cyber is $470 I think I'd rather do that. Really like the fit and the feel. It seems like its a stock size small.

Reactions: jkb

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
After 2-3 years when suits aren't quite as warm I slip on this thermal under shirt, my 3/2 psycho gets as warm as I ever want to be in the water.
I've worn my 4/3 psycho twice in about 4 years

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
DANGG!! Thats actually a really good price. Im still super bummed about having my new isurus stolen... but the used Cyber I got it pretty insane! The legs are super strechy and the suit is really warm! The chick that sold it to me said it was a 3/2 but I definitly think its a 4/3. Its been howling offshore so it actually worked out perfect. Only downsize it that 2 of the seams in the shoulder have a small rip so i have to get that fixed. But it seems minor. A little needle and thread and some glue and i think it will be good to go until I can find a replacement.

I was looking at Isurus again, but if a brand new Cyber is $470 I think I'd rather do that. Really like the fit and the feel. It seems like its a stock size small.
cyber carries the thickness of a suit a little further down than most suits these days. So if the suit is a 3/2, the 3mm goes from the chest all the way to the thigh.

Don’t do needle and thread yourself. These are blind stitched. The cyber rep lives in capo beach. You can just mail him the suit and his wife will fix it. I bet it would be free (unless buying it second hand voids the warranty).

cyberwetsuits@gmail.com is his email (I think).

Reactions: deforestcooper

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Anyone have a solution to taped seams cracking? I end up using aqua seal to repair them, but it that seems like a waste of time. I mean what is the point of the manufacturer to tape welded seams if the tape just cracks off after a year, then have to glue it back with aqua seal. They should just use aqua seal in the first place.