Best foil for you.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Rode a lift ha170 today with a custom mast 81cm. If I didn't already sell all my old gear. I would be in the process of selling it all to buy a lift ha170. The guy that was on the ha120 was blowing my mind.
How did the 170 compare to the albatross 165?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I liked the sig 175 well enough. Never loved it. Always felt like I was pulling it up on the pump. I have a uni210 in my car right now that I've been riding. I also feel like I'm pulling that up on the pump. Moving those foils forward in the box helped some.

Getting on the ha170 was like the first time I rode a High Aspect all over again. I was blown away. Plus I'd been expecting it to be better so I was worried I would be expecting to much. It jumps up out of the water. I had to move it back a tiny bit in the boxes.

Reviewing the footage it looks similar. But the ease of projection forward is pretty insane. Feels like you're going faster with less effort.

Nothing special here. Maybe the 5th wave I'd ridden on it.

Aug 23, 2020
I liked the sig 175 well enough. Never loved it. Always felt like I was pulling it up on the pump. I have a uni210 in my car right now that I've been riding. I also feel like I'm pulling that up on the pump. Moving those foils forward in the box helped some.

Getting on the ha170 was like the first time I rode a High Aspect all over again. I was blown away. Plus I'd been expecting it to be better so I was worried I would be expecting to much. It jumps up out of the water. I had to move it back a tiny bit in the boxes.

Reviewing the footage it looks similar. But the ease of projection forward is pretty insane. Feels like you're going faster with less effort.

Nothing special here. Maybe the 5th wave I'd ridden on it.

looks pretty fast- like your pumping faster than you were riding the wave.

Reactions: Hdip

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
holy CRAP!..
how could you not be happy with that!?...thats awesome!....is the UNI 210good for bigger guys too?
I've got the 210 for another week Steamroller. Come try it. What day you have off this week?

I rode it again today on a prone downwinder. Yeah I don't know how to do that stuff. haha. Took me 4 waves to remember how to ride the Uni. One run where I saw kelp, got distracted and fell instantly. One run that I kind of understood what I was supposed to do. Then this run which was my most successful, but really I was just trying to go in at that point.

Mar 22, 2020
I've got the 210 for another week Steamroller. Come try it. What day you have off this week?

I rode it again today on a prone downwinder. Yeah I don't know how to do that stuff. haha. Took me 4 waves to remember how to ride the Uni. One run where I saw kelp, got distracted and fell instantly. One run that I kind of understood what I was supposed to do. Then this run which was my most successful, but really I was just trying to go in at that point.

Nice try, you will get it pretty soon for sure.
I remember the bumps can be very good, I wish I could do it with you, seems like foiling in the area has changed since I left.

Reactions: Hdip
Mar 22, 2020
Safety foils? Are the good times over?

Olaian sent me one of those as I've been teaching foiling for some time now.
I think it is a good way to learn, not the foil you want to buy, but the one you want to rent or use for learning with an instructor.

I think for surf foilong you don't need to spend time behind a boat or on an efoil, a ultra short mast combined with a long fus, bigger stab and a good front wing (around 1500cm2) is the best way to learn. The hard part is when you flight hight, with a 40cm mast you feel so much more confident and in control, so people learn super fast (for surfers that know how to paddle, have ocean knowledge and off course can do a proper pop up).

Reactions: grendel95

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Check your bolts fellas! Punker pat paddled out on his new Clark foil board and mentioned he hadn't ridden his Naish setup in a couple years.

Two waves later he paddled in on a single fin!:toilet:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Your foil kit can now officially be worn on your back!

http://instagr.am/p/COuZXTIL4zG/
I chatted with the guy that owns this 2 piece foil board this morning. He is a pilot so he wanted a package that he can pack all his foil gear in his suit case for his flights. I think he said it was 4'6 x 18". It weighs around 12 LBs tho, super stiff. He said the weight helps during the paddle in, very stable. He is from the Netherlands, next stop for him is Peru. Forgot what break he is foiling down there but he flies internationally and always packs his foil gear.