Best foil for you.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I hit up Rob Pirie about the Kujira a couple days ago (just before the podcast dropped) and asked him about the 1210. He felt it was too big for normal prone foiling which he reiterated on the show.

I told him I mostly ride the Hyper 210 and he said the same about it as the 1210, too much wing for prone. I'm really happy on the 210 because it's so slow at my local and has the easy pump power to get out the back as far as my legs will hold out.

I'm skeptical of the 980 after my experience on the F32, which is a bigger wing.
It really seems like from all the reviews. All the new foils are meant to go very fast. Here in California we ride really slow waves so that Low stall speed is helpful. Not sure the next generation is going to be better.

Mar 20, 2019
Just go fast and turn more. From the videos I've been seeing looks like you guys have a giant slalom course! (And steamroller likes to hit the gates!)

Reactions: Hdip
Mar 22, 2020
its so strange they have this issue with the design, but if you get it setup right it looks pretty killer as an all rounder, will you keep playing with it to see if you can get it to do what you want?
I'm gonna stay with my albatross 165, play with different tail wing (I just got A KD 13'5).

I will wait for the Unifoil Viper (a hybrid between vortex and hyper).

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I'm gonna stay with my albatross 165, play with different tail wing (I just got A KD 13'5).

I will wait for the Unifoil Viper (a hybrid between vortex and hyper).

Wouldn’t the sig game changer 1260 be the good option for you? Apparently pumps really well and turns like a much smaller wing,
I wonder if the new uni wing will be similar, a higher aspect stealth/vortex?

Mar 22, 2020
It really seems like from all the reviews. All the new foils are meant to go very fast. Here in California we ride really slow waves so that Low stall speed is helpful. Not sure the next generation is going to be better.
Where I live, there is even less energy than CA, we ride with thick wetsuit (5mm + booties and hood) and my albatross 165 works good. Like I said we need to get used to it, make what we have work and maybe stop looking for the magic unicorne foil (which doesn't exist, the Kujira is definetly not the one, it is just a good foil).

Mar 22, 2020
Wouldn’t the sig game changer 1260 be the good option for you? Apparently pumps really well and turns like a much smaller wing,
I wonder if the new uni wing will be similar, a higher aspect stealth/vortex?
Yes, but I don't see myself going back to bigger foil 1260, and the 900 might be too small.

Actually I know what I want which is the Hyper 150 with 2cm more cord (about 1000cm2).

Reactions: sozzle
Mar 22, 2020
I hit up Rob Pirie about the Kujira a couple days ago (just before the podcast dropped) and asked him about the 1210. He felt it was too big for normal prone foiling which he reiterated on the show.

I told him I mostly ride the Hyper 210 and he said the same about it as the 1210, too much wing for prone. I'm really happy on the 210 because it's so slow at my local and has the easy pump power to get out the back as far as my legs will hold out.

I'm skeptical of the 980 after my experience on the F32, which is a bigger wing.
Have you tried the Unifoil 190 ?? It is way faster than the 210 but still easy lift.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Yes, but I don't see myself going back to bigger foil 1260, and the 900 might be too small.

Actually I know what I want which is the Hyper 150 with 2cm more cord (about 1000cm2).
But with the new wings being more mid aspects you’d expect to be a higher area compared to the skinny hyper wings?

I think some of us are Waiting with such high expectations for the next batch of gear we might end up disappointed to some extent,
The takuma 980 although looks nice and loose still has a big turning radius, bigger than I would like, their fuse length not being adjustable is a bit of a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostshaper

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Greg have you tried the f-one phantom foils? Mizo speaks very highly of the new 940cm.

Mar 22, 2020
Greg have you tried the f-one phantom foils? Mizo speaks very highly of the new 940cm.
No I haven't, my friend has it, he likes it very much et he rips (he is really good anyway) but just like Mizo, he is a fone team rider. Even I trust those guys they don't try many things on the side and they are not allowed to say bad comments about their brand.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
No I haven't, my friend has it, he likes it very much et he rips (he is really good anyway) but just like Mizo, he is a fone team rider. Even I trust those guys they don't try many things on the side and they are not allowed to say bad comments about their brand.
haha yes there is always that problem, they do looks good though, that latest clip from the basque dude 'payo' was insane and really caught my interest in how they seem to turn with speed. there isn't much good prone surf video of them to see how they pump though which is frustrating.

Aug 23, 2020
BINGO
That is kind of my assumption w/ the new razor thin AXIS 810, 890... that they’llBe fun and fast, but have no bottom end, easily stall out... definitely an issue w/ my 90kg And mushy local conditions. I love the speed of high aspect, but really enjoy. surfing/turning. Probably all of the above call for medium aspect. Why the Kujira 980 appeals or... maybe I need to give the axis 860/760 a good look.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Have you tried the Unifoil 190 ?? It is way faster than the 210 but still easy lift.
190 would be an ideal replacement, but you'd have to pry the 210 out of my fingers to replace it.

Guess I'll wait to see what Unifoil comes up with in the coming mid-aspect market rush.

Jan 1, 2021
BINGO
That is kind of my assumption w/ the new razor thin AXIS 810, 890... that they’llBe fun and fast, but have no bottom end, easily stall out... definitely an issue w/ my 90kg And mushy local conditions. I love the speed of high aspect, but really enjoy. surfing/turning. Probably all of the above call for medium aspect. Why the Kujira 980 appeals or... maybe I need to give the axis 860/760 a good look.
You would prolly like the 860 at your weight, one on Craigslist in waipahu for a while. I have the 760 and it definitely has lower stall speed than the high aspect stuff but I still don’t ride it much. Just depends on where you ride and your style. I rode a super mushy local this morning and broke the 6 minute mark on the 980, with no low end stall speed issues. Overhead NS yesterday chip shots out the back, no perfect wing, just gotta decide what you want a wing to do. I personally find the HA wings have better control in bigger surf, easier late takeoffs, less bucking, more stable in roll at high speed. Once im up on a head high plus wave it’s all cruising anyway, not cranking vertical turns or blowing airs. I like the 760 more on waist high waves to crank turns, but on overhead waves it’s too unstable in the roll. Most times when it’s waist high here it’s crowded and I’d rather be able to pump outside for waves. Haven’t swapped out the 980 since I got it 1.5 months ago. Like to try the 810/890 for bigger days though. 980 has a ton of lift for proning overhead waves, but again it’s a compromise, and for my style and local conditions the HA works great.

Mar 22, 2020
Oh man! Going back to lift?
Going to ????????

I tried the Unifoil Hyper 150 yesterday, strong on shore wind so not good for pumping anyway. This wing is super fast and hold the turns really nicely, it is also way easier to hit the foam which was nice, I can see potential especially for carnking turns. But I need to see if I would be able to pump and connect multiple waves easily. I guess it wouldn't be my main wing but who knows, when you get used to it.
It is just a demo so will see, maybe I should want for the new Viper Unifoil is working on.

Is it just me or don't you think MFC is kind of out of the game ?? We don't see any reviews, nobody talks about anymore, what is going on ??

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Going to ????????

I tried the Unifoil Hyper 150 yesterday, strong on shore wind so not good for pumping anyway. This wing is super fast and hold the turns really nicely, it is also way easier to hit the foam which was nice, I can see potential especially for carnking turns. But I need to see if I would be able to pump and connect multiple waves easily. I guess it wouldn't be my main wing but who knows, when you get used to it.
It is just a demo so will see, maybe I should want for the new Viper Unifoil is working on.

Is it just me or don't you think MFC is kind of out of the game ?? We don't see any reviews, nobody talks about anymore, what is going on ??

Going to surgery on my broken arm. I'm anticipating 3 months off. Sell gear now while it's worth something. Buy gear when new stuff is out and I can ride again later. No one's gonna buy it but bigmtnbill though so I'll probably just keep it. Price seems good to me. About $400 per piece. I want to sell all of it at once though so it'll be hard to sell.

I'd go 150 maybe. but really I'm most interested in the game changer at the moment.

Yeah MFC shot themselves in the foot with their 2 year upgrade cycle. That super weird looking demo that had pictures online didn't help them either.