Best foil for you.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Saw some new stuff from Freedom Foil yesterday, board and WINGS!!

Wings look good, really sleek and Chris was rocketing back to the takeoff on the HA one. Going to be a full foil program with HA and surf wings, products (hopefully) available by summer.

He also said the custom board program (built in the USA) is back in business with glassing out of Pure Glass.

Reactions: keoki and sozzle

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I said it already, I miss Sano for sure but I really don't complain, especially when I ride this spot.

http://instagr.am/p/CIQ68aSowi8/
That wave looks great.

So I'm trying to figure out the Signature Albatross 175. I did OK on it yesterday with the downcurve tail, but didn't find the drive through turns I was expecting. I paddled out today with the mast almost in the very front of the boxes. It was OK, but I decided to go put my other tail on. Twin tip surf tail. I liked that tail way better. Plus I figured out how to lean on the backfoot through the turns and really push. That was the key to finding the drive through turns. I'm starting to get it and I think I'm going to like it a lot.

Reactions: grendel95

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Thinking more about "best foil for me" ... hard to get over being used to the one you had. I am adapting from Gofoil Iwa primarily to the GL series. So far, the down the line glide and pumping are really nice, but the turning is taking some getting used to. Which means a lot of falls on waves that would otherwise be fully makeable ... and that's frustrating. It is tempting to go back ... but then I'll never master the new wing until the time is put in.

Same thing in winging with the new board ... I want to master it but the ol' reliable is just so easy and fun.

So there's the question....when you moved to new gear, did you have to force a relearning or did it just fit you perfect like new glove? When I switched from SS to gofoil it was the latter....instantaneously better in every way, zero regret.

Reactions: radair

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I have my mast position on an Axis 760 perfectly dialed and set. Feels great in turns, pumps decently well.

I had to give the 760 to my brother so that I wouldn't be tempted to immediately go back to it while trying to figure out new gear. Trying to find the benefits in the new gear and improve. I sort of felt like I hit the edge of what I was going to do on the 760 without getting hurt. I was starting to attempt strapless airs. Not sure that's a good thing for me to learn haha.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
So there's the question....when you moved to new gear, did you have to force a relearning or did it just fit you perfect like new glove? When I switched from SS to gofoil it was the latter....instantaneously better in every way, zero regret.
I went Iwa to GL like you and I had the same issues. I looooved the pump and glide along with the speed but I had to make adjustments to turning technique. Also had to move the foil around in the tracks a bit. Generally back.

I consciously dive the foil when I crank into a turn to give the wingtips some clearance now. I also found that the more I shortened the fuse the better it went. I used so many different stabs too. I can't stress the importance of the stab enough...the super flat ones aren't great for turning. The old Kai cut down and thinned was in the top 3. That anhedral is like autopilot.

Reactions: juandesooka
Mar 22, 2020
Tail wing makes a big dfference : size, shape and shiming !!
With the 165 Signature, I had to put all the way forward into the box (I actually put new holes on the plate to gain some cm).
The cut flat stab with shim works really good but I ordered a Kane tail to see if it is even better.

Don't forget that the board itself makes a huge difference into your performance, believe it or not ! I keep saying that, some people don't believe it until they try and then they realize how important it is.

Aug 23, 2020
Tail wing makes a big dfference : size, shape and shiming !!
With the 165 Signature, I had to put all the way forward into the box (I actually put new holes on the plate to gain some cm).
The cut flat stab with shim works really good but I ordered a Kane tail to see if it is even better.

Don't forget that the board itself makes a huge difference into your performance, believe it or not ! I keep saying that, some people don't believe it until they try and then they realize how important it is.
Is there anything other than the obvious: length, weight/swing weight and stiffness that effects performance? At present- my main focus/aim is to find the shortest, lightest board I can that still paddles into waves well.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Is there anything other than the obvious: length, weight/swing weight and stiffness that effects performance? At present- my main focus/aim is to find the shortest, lightest board I can that still paddles into waves well.
likewise...curious to hear specifically what worked and not.
I am naturally cynical -- and when I saw kite buddies spending $1k plus on a carbon space rocket, for a platform in the sky, seemed like a scam to me. You can literally kite foil on a cafeteria tray.
Somewhat similar to sup foil, when performance was "look at me I am flying!"....a fancy sup wasn't that crucial.
But now with surf foiling going to new performance levels, and me trying to jump a level but with middling success...I am more open to the possibilities of better performing gear.

I have only ridden DIY shapes with a range of sizes and materials. Current board is a 5x20 poly recycle. I suspect it has more flex than is optimal. My xmas project is a 4.4x19x4.5 experiment, to see if short but thick will give enough paddling volume for an old guy. EPS blank but with 10oz carbon and I am thinking of adding some wood veneer for extra stiffness and durability too. Hey, got a new logo also, that should help too i reckon.

foilgeekarmy2.jpg

Mar 22, 2020
One of the most important thing is the construction. The connexion between the board and the foil has to be strong and responsive. Same with the deck, if it is too soft, the transfer won't be as efficient. This is why carbone board are so polular.

I don't think the shorter, the better. I've been playing with different lenght : 4'0, 4'3, 4'6, 4'10
I like 4'3 and 4'6, not only for paddling, I like it for turning, it gives me more drive and more shortboard feeling (maybe just seing the nose of the board in front of me reminds me surfing).

I like to keep the same volume as my shortboard (a bit less actually but I don't want to go too extrem).

Double concave, beveled/concave rail, etc... I don't know if it makes a huge difference, it is definetly super rad and fancy, it reminds me of a cool space ship !
I think it does make a difference when touching down and hitting the white, it doesn't stick at tall. With my old board no double concave I was fine. But I guess at the end, all those those details make the difference into your performance.

What I like and I won't go back, is the little recess deck, super comfortable paddling (locked in) and less foam undr your feet.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Start designing a downwind paddle board. I'll be happy to test it out over here :)

It's either that or I'm going to be drawn back to a hand wing one of these days.

Of course right now I've got this to distract me. I surfed down the beach from that yesterday. Same size, but no wind today. We'll see if that translates to straight walled up beach break or not.

http://instagr.am/p/CIkZ2Lfsqhl/

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
big swell last 2 days up north, looks like it's arrived for you now too hdip....time to get out those surface fin boards again....or foil some epic mysto spots that only break when it is cranking.

Speaking of which, my local spot just around the corner, only breaks a few times a year, I have had a dream of connecting the two sections into a mega ride. I just barely did it last year, but not quite fully, so I felt like the champ almost just barely. Monday, my foil bro stole my dream ... connected the section three times on his sup foil, 800m rides. That's half a mile for your southerners. Unreal. (jondrums: on your old GL210). I was out too for a while but on prone foil, couldn't catch them reliably where they needed to be caught for that ... and not enough time to switch up (damn you work).

I did get some props though from a crusty local surfer who witnessed my wave of the day: frothing that it's the fastest, longest wave he's seen here....420m and 32kmh. That's on your GL180 JonD. I've had other sessions with waves longer and faster on sup foil, but I think the prone looks faster as it just seems more dynamic. I think we have another foil convert.

Mar 20, 2019
I'll test a downwind paddle board for ya too!
I saw John John with one he had Pyzel make. It looked like a normal prone downwind paddle board but shrunk down to like a 5'2. Thing looked mean. But I guess John decided he didn't really need it and uses his regular foil board (just never falls)

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
A lot of foiling in the last week and got to try some other gear.

Ghostshaper let me ride his Axis 900, really fun wing. Really manuevarable on the face and lotsa glide out the back. Pumps with a lot of power. The stiff Aluminum mast is really good, but don't like the sharp edges and all the bolts you need to tighten.

Also got the Lift 200HA under my feet, very different feel initially and needed a couple waves just to get the takeoff dialed in. This wing is fast, almost like it has no resistance if you're near the surface of the water. IT had the small 25 tail and was quick in turns. Pumping definitely has a sweet spot where you can just blip with you ankles and keep the speed up. When the wing sinks though you have a very small window to recover. On the Hyper 210 and Ghostshaper's 900 you can muscle back out of the depths with a hard stomp on the back foot, not so much on the Lift.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I got to try a buddy's armstrong 1550 with the kdmaui stab. Wow, quite a different feel, sure pumped nice. I had to immediately go in and take off the kai stab for my gofoil GL160, all of a sudden felt like a hand brake was on. I am going to have to get with the program for the faster stabs.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I got to try a buddy's armstrong 1550 with the kdmaui stab. Wow, quite a different feel, sure pumped nice. I had to immediately go in and take off the kai stab for my gofoil GL160, all of a sudden felt like a hand brake was on. I am going to have to get with the program for the faster stabs.
That Kai stab is a beast if you clip it and thin it out.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
been riding the 1550 armstrong with 232 all summer when i got it. when winter came waves got bigger and more powerful i couldnt do anything right. ive managed to dial it better but from this experience and small waves past few days it seems this 1550 would be best for small waves for me so im looking at the 1050 and 1250. any thoughts from those riding armstrong and use these foils. thanks

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
been riding the 1550 armstrong with 232 all summer when i got it. when winter came waves got bigger and more powerful i couldnt do anything right. ive managed to dial it better but from this experience and small waves past few days it seems this 1550 would be best for small waves for me so im looking at the 1050 and 1250. any thoughts from those riding armstrong and use these foils. thanks
From what I see from a good local Armstrong rider. If you want to do aggressive turns. The 1050, but it’s gonna be hard to pump. Very fast cadence, need to keep the speed up.

If you want to have better glide but slightly less high performance. 1250.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
From what I see from a good local Armstrong rider. If you want to do aggressive turns. The 1050, but it’s gonna be hard to pump. Very fast cadence, need to keep the speed up.

If you want to have better glide but slightly less high performance. 1250.

for shortboard style and more aggressive carving the 1050hs is incredible in smaller slopier waves, i still haven't dialled mine in yet in more powerful surf but i've had some moments of insanity on overhead waves but also a few wtf moments, once i get the tuning dialled in it's looking to be insane for ripping on from knee high up.

pumping is doable but definitely not glidey like a big wing or an HA wing, staying super high makes a 3000% difference pumping it.

i was gonna grab the 1250 to go with the 1050 in the new year to try and keep up with my bros on their HA wings.