Best foil for you.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
how's it compare to your old 900?
Loved the 900 for pumping & connecting waves but I found at my weight 71kg it didn't turn that well (especially at speed). The 1550 is not far behind for pump & turns really good.
I have now chopped the 232 stab & it feels really loose - feels to me like a bigger version of the Axis 660. The other big difference is obviously the weight - very noticeable in and out of the water.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Mick, did I miss your take on the 660? I have the 680.
Only towed in a couple of times on the 660 with a 400 stab & was really impressed how loose it was but there wasn't much pump.
So, I was going to wait for the 770 or 880 to come out but got impatient & started looking at other gull styled wings. Tried the 1550 & I think it has that similar feel that I'm guessing most gull wings have & it also pumped well.
I have not used a 680 myself but a young local prone foiler that has the 680 tried my mates 660 & was raving about how good the 660 was. He now has his 680 for sale to get a 660.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
thanks guys for the recommendations and offers:

Hdip: thanks for the offer. I live in south OC, dont get up north much

Juandesooka: i am following your footsteps. Prior to sup foiling i pretty much rode fishes. My buddy in maui got me on the sup foil. I blame him for getting me on a sup. But his sup is now 4'11 so he is at a way different level than me.

Based on above opinions and others down at the beach, i think i will be looking for a 5'0 ish board to start. Thanks.

Smaller than you're looking for maybe. OK price.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005

Smaller than you're looking for maybe. OK price.
Hey thanks for the find.
I actually just picked up a used 5'6 45L board. No hate please but is an NSP. Picked it up from a surftch distributor in SD. I really wanted to go smaller but from everyone's recommendation I wanted something that I wouldn't struggle with too much and then go shorter later. Given my work schedule these days I may have more time now, hopefully will be ready to go shorter in the summer.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Hey thanks for the find.
I actually just picked up a used 5'6 45L board. No hate please but is an NSP. Picked it up from a surftch distributor in SD. I really wanted to go smaller but from everyone's recommendation I wanted something that I wouldn't struggle with too much and then go shorter later. Given my work schedule these days I may have more time now, hopefully will be ready to go shorter in the summer.
Eh, most of the foil's we're all riding are coming out of china. I showed my WCFC board to my local shaper and he couldn't believe I paid for it :) I think you're fine riding a china board to learn on.

How much was the board? I need a way to learn downwinders and am not finding anything cheap on craigslist. I sat and looked at a few spots today to try and find a reef to chip into and then pump out to windline. Couldn't find anything that would work. If I had a SUP and paddle I could've made it happen though.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Eh, most of the foil's we're all riding are coming out of china. I showed my WCFC board to my local shaper and he couldn't believe I paid for it :) I think you're fine riding a china board to learn on.

How much was the board? I need a way to learn downwinders and am not finding anything cheap on craigslist. I sat and looked at a few spots today to try and find a reef to chip into and then pump out to windline. Couldn't find anything that would work. If I had a SUP and paddle I could've made it happen though.
Made in Thailand so no virus :) $400 only used a couple of times. https://www.nspsurfboards.com/product/nsp-surf-foil/
I think decent price. Near new except one minor pressure on bottom. I talked to their NA Brand Mgr, he showed me the foils that they are coming out with. They are trying to break into the foil market here.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Topmick did you have the newest Axis fuselage? Looking at stuff online, my Sig mast looks a lot like the new Axis mast.

I'm thinking my mast may fit the new Axis fuse.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Topmick did you have the newest Axis fuselage? Looking at stuff online, my Sig mast looks a lot like the new Axis mast.

I'm thinking my mast may fit the new Axis fuse.
No but my mate has it & the elusive axis carbon mast - was told the newer Uni masts are now made in china, so could fit?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I am in the beginning of an artistic process that will culminate in the creation of a hydrofoil wing fitted to a surfcraft. Having done the first sketches of the wing and mast, I begin to wonder how many litres should the board be? Right now I am aiming at about 60-70L. 5'4" 20" 4" (1,6m 50cm 10cm). Just a glassed slab of housing insulation foam. There is no place like I have seen in videos with deep water and small rolling waves. So I gotta go further out and be like a longboard.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I am in the beginning of an artistic process that will culminate in the creation of a hydrofoil wing fitted to a surfcraft. Having done the first sketches of the wing and mast, I begin to wonder how many litres should the board be? Right now I am aiming at about 60-70L. 5'4" 20" 4" (1,6m 50cm 10cm). Just a glassed slab of housing insulation foam. There is no place like I have seen in videos with deep water and small rolling waves. So I gotta go further out and be like a longboard.
Yeah, ns! Can't wait to see. How many sessions will it last?

Are you prone paddling in?

I'm about 68 kg and riding 4'6 33L. Normal grovel surfboard is 26L. I still miss a lot of waves. I'm at a really weak spot in knee to waist high waves.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah, ns! Can't wait to see. How many sessions will it last?

Are you prone paddling in?

I'm about 68 kg and riding 4'6 33L. Normal grovel surfboard is 26L. I still miss a lot of waves. I'm at a really weak spot in knee to waist high waves.
hmm..I`m 10kg more and waves are worse :) I'll go with the 70 liter!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
To learn in small waves I'd imagine bigger is better. 2000 cm or so.

EDIT: Yeah you can use a 1300 in smaller waves. I learned on a 1250 wing. To learn, and in weak waves, and you're not a lightweight teenager. Go for 1500+

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I am drawing one now. It will be 1300cm^2. By this chart

1300 seems to be ok for weak waves

Last edited:

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I am drawing one now. It will be 1300cm^2. By this chart

1300 seems to be ok for weak waves
NS,
go a bit bigger with the foil bro, that article is ancient and the surface area numbers are complete fiction. Maybe even 2000 if low aspect, definitely 1500-1600.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I’ve seen it in action at mondos. Bat wing looking thing. Very short chord. It looks tiny. He said it’s comparable to the x28? I think. Don’t really know the cloud nine lineup.

The guy rips on it. The lines he takes looks like a short board.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I’ve seen it in action at mondos. Bat wing looking thing. Very short chord. It looks tiny. He said it’s comparable to the x28? I think. Don’t really know the cloud nine lineup.

The guy rips on it. The lines he takes looks like a short board.
there's been a few insta stories on the cloud9 HA wing, i agree the lines looked completely next level